Ballenger Pond Bass Fishing

R

royiii

Would someone please give me directions to Ballenger Pond I know that it is off of hwy126 east of Springfield but I can't find it on my map. Thank you in advance for the help.

F

flippinbaits

Would someone please give me directions to Ballenger Pond I know that it is off of hwy126 east of Springfield but I can't find it on my map. Thank you in advance for the help.

gonna go for the state record huh? lol..sorry dont know where it is..GL..and try google earth

18406ej

18406ej

I found a thread on a different site that says the ponds are behind the Ballenger Company at 52nd & Highbanks road.

R

royiii

Yeh they are, and they are private. I found out yesterday my uncle used to be a guide so I asked him.

F

flippinbaits

too bad man, just head down to clear lake or lake shastina...you can break the oregon record there, then just drive accross the border:dance:

Troutski

Troutski

Where abouts

Where abouts

Yeh they are, and they are private. I found out yesterday my uncle used to be a guide so I asked him.

Where abouts do you live in Springfield ? I may be able to turn you on to some local fishing holes.....

Chuck

C

cavdad45

too bad man, just head down to clear lake or lake shastina...you can break the oregon record there, then just drive accross the border:dance:

The next LMB record will come from Selmac Lake near Grants Pass. I'll give the details when I catch her.

Troutski

Troutski

Davis Lake

Davis Lake

The next LMB record will come from Selmac Lake near Grants Pass. I'll give the details when I catch her.

Lets not forget Davis lake for Large Mouth Bass.....or even Crane, these two lakes produce some very large Bass.

Chuck

C

cavdad45

Lets not forget Davis lake for Large Mouth Bass.....or even Crane, these two lakes produce some very large Bass.

Chuck

Davis Lake is flyfishing isn't it? That would narrow down the field of bass anglers. Though it does have a lot of potential.

Crane Prairie is great, unfortunately I don't know if it's growing season vs. hectar volume would allow a bass to hit 10 pounds.

Here's a couple sleepers that could beat the state record. Cullaby Lake in Clatsop County or Vernonia Lake.

F

flippinbaits

i think it will come from another farm pond or private pond....whoever can successfully have florida strained bass spawn for some years will have the largest bass in oregon...its all about florida strain, a 12lb isn't really HUGE for a florida strain.

C

cavdad45

Florida-strain largemouth cannot be sustained in Oregon. Our winter water temperatures regularly dip below what a Florida-strain can survive. The Northern largemouth is fine, but the Florida-strain will die.

Hybrids of Florida-strain and Northern largemouths survive, but due to our limited growing season, fail to grow bigger than a standard Northern-strain so the fisheries people have closed the Florida-strain and hybridization studies in Oregon and Washington.

The next state record will come from public waters since private waters will no longer be eligible for qualification because of controversies surrounding the last state record largemouth.
The next state record will come from a lake in Southern Oregon, probably west of Medford and south of Roseburg/Sutherlin maybe even on the South Coast, but not Siltcoos, Tenmile, or Tahkenitch. Longest bass growing seasons in the state are in those areas.
The lake will be under 100 acres for the same reason.

:think:

R

royiii

I think the next record will come from Lake Selmac. There is great bass fishing there. I used to go there when I live in Crescent City and did pretty well fishing from the bank.

F

flippinbaits

if oregon can get some power plant lakes like texas...florida strains would be able to survive and easily grow over 12 lb. that is a big iff....but i think a florida strain could survive in oregon. if the lake was deep enough somewhere in southern oregon. they are plentiful in northern cali where the water drops into the low 40's as well.

C

cavdad45

Sorry. OSU tried the Florida-strain experiment in the late 70's. Also there is a good piece written by University of Oklahoma covering the topic of Florida strain bass. True Northern California has some Florida-strain largemouth, but not above Clear Lake.

There are bass over 12 pounds in a few Oregon lakes, including an unofficial 14-pounder caught-and-released from Selmac.

F

flippinbaits

valid points, buti still think its possible...with global warming and all it wont be far behind haha....i know of some ponds with florida strains in them north of clear lake in oroville and such places...also if we do get that powerplant lake........

C

cavdad45

It's good for a fisherman to dream of the next big fish. I do it every day.

F

Floyd91

Bringing up a thread from the dead I know..

I've been looking for a place to do some bass fishing locally and came across this thread and the other. I ended up driving over there yesterday and checked out the pond that's not gated. Saw a few fish in the shallows. I think I'll try it sometime this week. I'd love to get the gf hooked onto a bass. She has never caught a fish.

Troutski

Troutski

Welcome Floyd

Welcome Floyd

Bringing up a thread from the dead I know..

I've been looking for a place to do some bass fishing locally and came across this thread and the other. I ended up driving over there yesterday and checked out the pond that's not gated. Saw a few fish in the shallows. I think I'll try it sometime this week. I'd love to get the gf hooked onto a bass. She has never caught a fish.

I know the ponds your talking about and my advice it - STEALTH - These fish are very skilled in the art of not being caught.....not that you won't catch any fish there just be aware that they get quite a bit of pressure. From what I hear through the grape vine don't wait to long, they are planning on filling them in. A shame but the land is worth more $ than the ponds. Again; welcome to OFF...

Chuck

Top Bottom