Anything about spinners

F
fish_4_all
That is interesting because all the shop owners here say just the opposite. I tried selling spinners that had a gap but no one would buy them, they bought the ones that were tight as long as they turned freely. I made them for my uncle for a long time when I was younger and anythnig that had more than a 1/4 inch gap was rejected and we redid them before using and selling them.

Is so interesting to hear how different areas have different ideas as to what is right.

Then again, I have never heard of "tuning" a spinner until I got on here so maybe I need to learn so I can educate those up here as to what works better. Might be able to sell more spinners that way too.

B
bigdog
Problem

Problem

Ok so now my wife thinks I might have a little problem going on here now I have only been trying this spinner making stuff for about three weeks and this is what I have so far and have about $200 worth of stuff coming from Borlowstackle and thats not to mention the things coming fro ebay have about 150 different coll blades coming that should be here about the first of the week. So what you all think do I have a problem I mean the only problem I see is that I'm going to need more storage boxes:lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yes, try to keep all of your garbage organized. If you can manage to find enough boxes, dedicate one to each specific style, or size. It makes twisting up replacements a lot easier than sifting through a bag of, what else would you call a hodge-podge of components...Garbage. Keep your garbage clean, and moderately organized, and remember, clean garbage catches fish. Lemon Joy those puppies up after you complete 'em. It'll only help, especially for Salmon spinners.

F
fish_4_all
Okay, another web footed dumb question:

What is the Lemon Joy for?

K
Kodiak
Lemon Joy

Lemon Joy

Lemon joy will take the human scent off of the components. Lemon joy cuts the oils left from behind from your hands. Salmon, particularly chinook whitch can smell down to just a few parts per billion. Chinook can literally smell the diffrence in testosterone levels in from two different fisherman.
One little thing about lemon joy, it works best if you "mothball" your spinners for 6 months after washing.

Troutski
Troutski
Lemon....

Lemon....

Kodiak said:
Lemon joy will take the human scent off of the components. Lemon joy cuts the oils left from behind from your hands. Salmon, particularly chinook whitch can smell down to just a few parts per billion. Chinook can literally smell the diffrence in testosterone levels in from two different fisherman.
One little thing about lemon joy, it works best if you "mothball" your spinners for 6 months after washing.

I have heard this rumor about Lemon Joy for over twenty years...I have also read and heard that if you get gasoline or even worse two - stroke mix on your hands you won't catch fish. Due to the amazing smell ability of the fish being able to tell the difference between WD-40 unleaded gas. I have caught fish after taking a bath in a punctured fuel line while trolling. My point is this what is human scent...donuts,beer,tobacco,bacon and eggs w/a side of hash browns. I know anglers that purposely spray WD-40 on there lures and bait, and then get pissed off when I start eating a bannana in their boat. How much of this stuff is real and how much is "I read it on the internet so it must be true". I used to wash my hands at each boat launch with the mud, rocks, bark, and leaves stuff along the shore each time I went fishing because the first guy I went with did it.....I just wonder how many of these myths are factual and how many are - well we are anglers and you know what they say ....any one else have any more tricks to get rid of the human scent ?

Chuck

K
Kodiak
fact or fiction

fact or fiction

The skinny on scent is this...The old gas thing might have actually helped you. Let me back up a little, get comfortable,this is gunna take a bit to explain. For whatever reason through selective breeding, grand design, or whatever you believe in salmoniods and in particular chinook have developed hyper smelling. I will stick with Chinook for this as they are the most critical and the rules for scent control apply to the rest of the spiecies.

Human scent... What constitutes human scent is kinda self explanitory. The oils from your skin, bacteria, and and possibly breath (sneeze or cough on your gear you might want to consider washing your rig). It seems that this problem is more male oriented than female. After several studies have proven that testosterone is the major contributing factor. Chinook have developed a fear response to it and the higher the level of testosterone in the fisherman (teenage boys, balding men) have a harder time catching chinook and and take appropriate action. Women on the other hand while having testosterone levele in lower amounts have a built in fish attractant estrogen. A chemical compound that makes up estrogen also operates as the breeding phermone in chinook. It explains why at times women out fish men handily. As far as out side sources, tobacco, 'tater chips, etc. may or may not put fish off, I personally avoid it. Bananna's are steeped in maritime history. In Hawaii they are considered bad luck and will literally get you put off a boat. Chinook have a love hate affair with potassium, 1 day out of 30 they love it, 29 they hate it, you guess which one. My personal opinion, I will not allow banannas in my house from about 2 weeks before the chinook show until after the run is over..my wife thinks it's silly but whatever. Chinook can also smell mono carbons in ionic chains. These often are excreated by schools of bait fish and are present in petrolium products. WD-40 has a large amounts of this however it will fail to bond and float off in water taking with it oils from human skin contact. Better for this is a floride free, light scented tooth paste that can be brushed on and rinsed off.

The mud, rocks, twigs thing is trying to use natural minerals that are inherant in the river system as a cover scent. It has it's pro's and con's, but nitrile gloves are still the way to go. when cureing eggs, herring, shrimp whatever you much better off NEVER TOUCHING BAIT WITH BARE HANDS. After they are cured they are only marginally better. I hope that answers some of your questions. I'm working on a piece of equipment that may actually render equipment "scent free" in about 10 mins of exposure, however have no difinitive way to prove it currently.

F
fish_4_all
Want to know what really works well, go fishing while the wife is pregnant. While she may not agree to be pregnant right about the time salmon season starts every year I have never caught more fish than when my wife was pregnant with my 3 children. If she touched the spinners even better. I got to the point I actually had her handle all my gear before fishing and it I caught more fish.

Did it actually have anything to do with it? Don't have a clue. I do know I will let a woman touch my spinners anytime when I go fishing just in case, pregnant or not. The wife still hates it but she doesn't mind playing with them before I go fishing if it means she can have teriyaki salmon for dinner. Just another one of those superstitions but if it works, don't fix it.

B
bigdog
This is a funny sublect because there is so many diferent things out there that people say. I have heard some people tell me to let a asian or indian person spit on your spiners or bait, reason being much the same something to do with the sents that are in them. Have heard that woman and younger children should go fishing with you and handle the gear before throwing it out there. Now I have used WD40 before and it does seem to help the catching luck but then I have heard it is ilegal from some people before, being something about it not being good for the water, don't know how true the ilegal part is. There really is some different sayings out there though and knowing what ones are true and really work I think it is up to the person fishing and what they believe in and what might seem to work for them.

I already have two kids so the baby in the oven one I'll never know because I'm not going to have more kids for the sake of more fish:lol:

O
osmosis
women do not have to be pregnant. a similar hormone spike occurs every time they ovulate (have their period).

Yes women do have the potential to catch more fish than men because of their hormone profile. I am a firm believer in this, It happens WAY too often in my boat to call luck.
If you can get them to leave off all the flower spray and sh*t - you're really in business.

Every time I get a couple in my boat, the woman will outfish the heck out of the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishFinger
If this thread breaks into the " I wear my wifes panties when I go fishing", a line will have been crossed.. Being said. I'm not sure if that works or not yet.

O
osmosis
I have a friend that uses second hand store womens purses to carry his tackle around in..
I have heard of a couple guys using womens underwear to make steelhead "rags" out of.

F
Fishtopher
osmosis said:
I have a friend that uses second hand store womens purses to carry his tackle around in..
I have heard of a couple guys using womens underwear to make steelhead "rags" out of.

Boy my wife's gonna be pretty upset when she finds out she don't have any underwear tomorrow...:shock:

F
FishFinger
Fishtopher said:
Boy my wife's gonna be pretty upset when she finds out she don't have any underwear tomorrow...:shock:

I think it'd be even harder to explain why you have another womans underwear in the tackle box..

K
Kodiak
The specific chemical

The specific chemical

The specific chemical in estrogen that is responsible for women outfishing men is....:naughty: I ain't tellin' but it is in my egg cure. I have a buddy that teaches at OSU marine biology thingy and tried an experiment with all the diffrent chems in estrogen to figure it out. Got this one particular chem and fish went balistic. Bucks started attacking each other ( dominance display) and had to be removed from the expirament, hens would mouth, body check, tail slap, and smash anything egg colored (pink, red, orange) introduced into the enviornment. I got the name from him and the ratio but I aint sposta tell. Funny thing, he never said a word about marketing.:tongue:...Somebody want try a sample for me when thet get some eggs?

B
bigdog
Kodiak said:
The specific chemical in estrogen that is responsible for women outfishing men is....:naughty: I ain't tellin' but it is in my egg cure. I have a buddy that teaches at OSU marine biology thingy and tried an experiment with all the diffrent chems in estrogen to figure it out. Got this one particular chem and fish went balistic. Bucks started attacking each other ( dominance display) and had to be removed from the expirament, hens would mouth, body check, tail slap, and smash anything egg colored (pink, red, orange) introduced into the enviornment. I got the name from him and the ratio but I aint sposta tell. Funny thing, he never said a word about marketing.:tongue:...Somebody want try a sample for me when thet get some eggs?

Heck I'm game to try it out but would be even better if you told us what it is instead of teasing us here

F
FishFinger
Building tunable spinners

Building tunable spinners

When it comes to "tuning" spinners several factors come into play.

In general the notion of tuning allows the "creater" to establish benchmarks where all spinners fabricted are made with the same level of consistancy.
The same rules apply regardless of the size of the spinner being formed.

The beginning aspect is the first loop twisted. wether it's the top or bottom loop the same processes apply. For the sake of the example let's assume we are creating the top loop minus any swivels.

regardless of the twisting tool used, the outcome is exactly the same.

Let's say were starting with a lenght of .031 gauge @ 4.5"

After the first loop it established, it need to be inspected to assure it's true and balanced. Holding the wire between your index finger and thumb; just below the formed loop; slowly beging rolling the wire too and fro. Raise your hand to eye level, with a source of background light; watch the action of the loop. It becomes quite clear while spining if the loop is lopsided and /or out of round.

Sligt adjustments should be made to the adjust the loop and to establish a balanced eye.

Perfection would be to have a perfectly shaped circle sitting a top a straight shaft. When spun there would be no visable sign of wobble or out of round it the loop.

It's the formers preference when it comes to stacking components. SO for the sake of the example here let's say we are making a prototype and will stack for the bottom up.

Rather than use a split ring we are going to seat the hook into the first formed loop.

Having a hook in play makes requires you let gravity play it's part. Allow the hook to hang and begin rolling the wire. Reduce the amount of "throw out" that occurs until the hook hangs nice and plumb as you turn it. Even at high speeds the hook should seat dead bottom of the loop and spin true w/o wobble.

The same rule would apply if you were stacking top down and added a swivel to the loop.

Ok so now we have one tuned loop completed.

Another aspect of tuning (rarely mentioned) is "tuning" of the blade. When blades are pressed an undesirable type of bowing often occurs. All blades are cupped by design, that's what provides each with its specific action and cavitation.

The unwanted bowing usually exists along its lenght from the eye to it's tail. To correct this manufactures error, simply place the blade on a flat surface and inspect it for any bowing around its edge. If found the metal can be minuplated by bending the egdes of the blade until it sits flat against the surface your inspecting it on.

Now let's assume you've got the body aspect worked out with you weight to blade ratios and your ready to finish up your spinner. Being a prototype the hook is done, the body stacked and the blade atached. the final tuning happens here.

Allow yourself an additional inch of wire between the top of your last component and the wraps beneath the top loop. This additional wire allowa the top loop to be spun and verified just as the first loop you formed.

B
bigdog
Ok with all that being said then the wires that you can buy with the first loop formed SUCK I have yet to see one that isn't lopsided. So I better start buying some straight wires instead

F
FishSchooler
bigdog said:
Ok with all that being said then the wires that you can buy with the first loop formed SUCK I have yet to see one that isn't lopsided. So I better start buying some straight wires instead

The pre-eyed ones were lopsided? The ones I got were perfectly symetrical, got them at fisherman's...

F
FishFinger
bigdog said:

Are you going fishing this week, other than Fri that is?