Anything about spinners

R
rickman
I checked out my store bought inline spinners as far as weight vs blade size and type. For those who might want to make their own versions of the commercial offerings I made a chart showing the lure sizes along with the blade types and sizes used. Maybe this will be of some help to someone.

I took several samples of each type/size of commercial inline spinner that I had and weighed them with a pocket digital scale (calibrated) and averaged them.
Not scientific or anything but generally, Original Rooster Tails and Sonics weighed slightly more than advertised weights, i.e., 1/12=1/11, 1/6=1/5, etc.. Panther Martins were slightly heavier as well with the exception of the #6's which are advertised as 1/4oz. I weighed 11 #6 PM's and all weighed less than 1/4oz. Mepps,Blue Fox and Bang Tail inline spinners weighed pretty much as their advertised weights.

Last edited:
D
DirectDrive
Nice chart Rickman.
For steelhead we use the 1/2 oz Panther Martin.

So, are you in agreement now that a French blade is not an inline ? :D

Sorry dude, spinner twisters are very specific :)
Have to be to get the right parts.

R
rickman
DirectDrive: not sure what you're referring to regarding the French and In-Line blades? In-Line/Sonic blades don't use a clevis, pretty much all of the others need a clevis.

I know the difference between the blade types. I ordered some Swiss Swingblades to "mimic" the original Rooster Tails, decided to toss em' since I think they're a poor design. I use French, In-Line and fluted Indiana blades for my spinners.

I fish ultralight 90% of the time and I don't use anything over 1/4oz.

For the Northern Pike up in the north/central part of AZ, I go to heavier gear and up to 1/2oz. on the lures.

K
Kelkay
Anybody know of a You Tube video or something like that where I can see how to tune a spinner? I just started making them, and would like to learn how to do this, video is better for me.

R
rickman
As you can tell, I'm definitely no fly tyer. No training, no mentor, no nuthin'. I just tie some stuff together and if it looks "buggy", then that's a good thing. ;)