Anything about spinners

K
Kodiak
Just be carefull

Just be carefull

bigdog said:
Ok with all that being said then the wires that you can buy with the first loop formed SUCK I have yet to see one that isn't lopsided. So I better start buying some straight wires instead

A lot of the preformed wires aren't strait. They are made for production to help save time when mass building. Some are better than others, so do be careful. There are a few companies oout there that hand tie and make sure they are strait, they are more expensive but worth the extra money.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Kodiak said:
The specific chemical in estrogen that is responsible for women outfishing men is....:naughty: I ain't tellin' but it is in my egg cure. I have a buddy that teaches at OSU marine biology thingy and tried an experiment with all the diffrent chems in estrogen to figure it out. Got this one particular chem and fish went balistic. Bucks started attacking each other ( dominance display) and had to be removed from the expirament, hens would mouth, body check, tail slap, and smash anything egg colored (pink, red, orange) introduced into the enviornment. I got the name from him and the ratio but I aint sposta tell. Funny thing, he never said a word about marketing.:tongue:...Somebody want try a sample for me when thet get some eggs?

Why use a chemical present in the human body? The two, or three key, gender specific chems that are present in female fish are some of the most cracky substances known to a steelheader. Lights out everytime you go fishing is my kind of fun!

F
Fishtopher
Silver Plate

Silver Plate

Do any of you plate your own winter steelhead blades? Been doin some research on the subject and was thinking about doin some myself depending on feedback from first hand accounts.

Troutski
Troutski
Gold & Silver...

Gold & Silver...

Fishtopher said:
Do any of you plate your own winter steelhead blades? Been doin some research on the subject and was thinking about doin some myself depending on feedback from first hand accounts.

Sterling Silver and 18 K gold work well...;) Kind of expensive but they do have properties that other metals don't have. Bill Herzhog swears by them.

Chuck

B
bigdog
FishFinger said:
Are you going fishing this week, other than Fri that is?

Yeah I'm thinking about going out on sunday as well why what you thinking

F
FishFinger
bigdog said:
Yeah I'm thinking about going out on sunday as well why what you thinking

I am itchin' to do same fitchin'

F
FishFinger
Hook Dressings

Hook Dressings

When it comes to dressing the hooks for spinners what are the best materials to consider?

Troutski
Troutski
Bandaids...

Bandaids...

FishFinger said:
When it comes to dressing the hooks for spinners what are the best materials to consider?

If your talking about treble hooks, I recommend band aids and neosporian ;)

Chuck

F
FishFinger
Troutski said:
If your talking about treble hooks, I recommend band aids and neosporian ;)

Chuck

I remember you suggested duck feathers sometime back. Were you refering to quill fibers?

F
Fishtopher
To those who have alotta twisting experience, when you make your loops, do you get them so they are in the same position,:think: like, hmm...ok if yer holdin' yer spinner up, you could look through both loops at the same time, or does that matter?

B
bigdog
Well I haven't been making them for a long time as you know (I know you asked for the ones that have been doing it for a while but hey here is my two cents anyways:tongue: ) I think if the are NOT lined up together both the exact oppisite it would make the spinner more balence in wieght having one loop on one side and the other on the other side but I could be wrong. Then again there isn't much wieght so might not make a differ either way.

F
Fishtopher
Hmm, good one. I was just thinkin tonight about which way my loops were twisted. Ive noticed some of my spinners have a wobble at the front of the spinner where the loop connects to leader or mainline. Could be a loop thing...

A
ArcticAmoeba
Fishtopher - Your loops should be perpendicular to eachother...Meaning the upper loop, should be turned 90 degrees to the other. It will make 'em hunt a little better.

FishFinger - Hook dressings catch more fishers, than fish. Haha, oh boy, here we go about dressing...I like a nice pesto ranch, or a good Italian. But for your run of the mill troots, the dresing, like mallard feather, or even maribou will give it a little different character to piss off some wiley stockers.

B
bigdog
ArcticAmoeba said:
Fishtopher - Your loops should be perpendicular to eachother...Meaning the upper loop, should be turned 90 degrees to the other. It will make 'em hunt a little better.

FishFinger - Hook dressings catch more fishers, than fish. Haha, oh boy, here we go about dressing...I like a nice pesto ranch, or a good Italian. But for your run of the mill troots, the dresing, like mallard feather, or even maribou will give it a little different character to piss off some wiley stockers.

Yeah I just got them dressed hooks because I liked the way they looked. Haven't used them yet.

F
Fishtopher
Thats crazy...almost every dang lure in the trout isle has some kind of dressing at the bottom end of the spinner...:think:I think it's a communist plot:confused:...;)I better investigate.

A
ArcticAmoeba
I used to clip the dressing off of any Rooster Tail I happen to come across for free, either snaggos that i managed to pull in, or just donations. The ones I actually spent my hard earned mowin money on, I just left them alone. I have yet to nail near as many fish on the dresed hook versions. The freebies that I screwed with were my biggest producers way back when, so it kind of skewed my outlook on dressing a hook. But if anything, just twist up the same spinner, one with, one without a naked hook. But i also think that a lot of plug paint schemes are also just to get someone to look at it for more than a second. Just do some testing of your own, and formulate a plan after you have had enough river time with 'em.

F
Fishtopher
ArcticAmoeba said:
But i also think that a lot of plug paint schemes are also just to get someone to look at it for more than a second. Just do some testing of your own, and formulate a plan after you have had enough river time with 'em.

I totally agree with ya on the exotic paint schemes on plugs and some of the colors too.:rolleyes:
When I was a youngster diggin' around in dad's tackle box, I always grabbed for the Rooster's instead of the assortment of plain ol' Mepps, cuz I thought I caught more fish on em. Perhaps it was just because I tossed the Rooster's more often, thus tipping the scale on the hook-up ratio...

Troutski
Troutski
Confidence...

Confidence...

Fishtopher said:
I totally agree with ya on the exotic paint schemes on plugs and some of the colors too.:rolleyes:
When I was a youngster diggin' around in dad's tackle box, I always grabbed for the Rooster's instead of the assortment of plain ol' Mepps, cuz I thought I caught more fish on em. Perhaps it was just because I tossed the Rooster's more often, thus tipping the scale on the hook-up ratio...

Don't you just love that confidence factor... Something about tying that go to lure on and knowing you are going to be successful. Good stuff, I think I just got chills ;)

Chuck

F
Fishtopher
Im going to the spinner twistin' class at BC Angling Post tonight, and was wondering if anyone has been to one there, or going tonight?

M
mikeredding
Mepps are Junk!

Mepps are Junk!

Troutski said:
Don't you just love that confidence factor... Something about tying that go to lure on and knowing you are going to be successful. Good stuff, I think I just got chills ;)

Chuck

I have fished Mepps and can never seem to do any good. I have tried and tried over and over just so I knew it wasn't the water I was fishing. I have determined it is the tackle. And nobody can convince me otherwise!:D
Rooster Tails on the other hand can be very deadly if you have the correct weight/color combo. I have caught a lot of big 20"+ 'bows with them, and no they were not steelies. These were all in the Oakridge area.:lol: