Anyone fished the Sandy lately?

H
Homebrewmike
I was curious if anyone has fished the Sandy latey, I was out there on the 9th of July and the river was a greenish white color. I didn't fish it not knowing what to use, I've already lost 4-5 spinners in about a month time frame. I've fished from Dabney to Cedar creek with out anything other that two pikeminnows I pulled out of Dabney. I live really close to the river and would like to make it my homebase for fishing. Am I hitting the slow time of the year for the river? I plan on going out around 1 or 2 today for a couple of hours, so if anybody would want to meet up and fish let me know.

I
imfishing
Greetings Sir.

I Fish The Sandy "Frequently".

It Is My Home Stream. Check The Links Below.

Anyhow - A Little Bird Told Me That Mr. Fast Has An Open Seat For Thursday.

If You Want To fish With A Guide That Knows The Sandy Like The Back Of His Hand...

Mr. Fast Will Take Good Care Of You.

Good Luck To You.

Smitty - Out

M
mccarrel
Fishing the Sandy I'd bring along gear for a couple methods. Start by offering a jig. Pink and White or purple seem to be doing well. Then bait, sand shrimp have been really producing either tipped on a jig or drifting a small chunk. Only use spinners after other methods as it can spook fish. I haven't been out for about a week but if you fish hard you should find a biter.

N
n8r1
The Sandy was a mess last week. It was a brown, silty color most of the week. I went on 7/11 and there was virtually no visibility. The Revenue Bridge had 6 people and no fish. I went further up, and there were fish rolling but no biters.

H
Homebrewmike
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to head up to Marmot sometime around 11 or so on Monday.Hopefully it will look and produce a little bit better!:)

R
Roolinghills
I don't mind the murky water. I've had some good luck in the river when it's a bit siltier. I don't know if it just makes the fish more active or what, but it's been good to me. I'd fish that river in any color condition. Plus it's just a beautiful place to spend the day..

T
treyis3
IMG_0174.jpg

H
Homebrewmike
Nice fish!

R
Roolinghills
I'll second what Mike said! Great fish! Would you mind if I asked how high on the river? No spot needed, just curious if Oxbow-down is a waste of time with the water so low..?

Nice rod/reel.. What wt are you set up with? I switched from a 9wt to a 6wt and have had much better luck with casting (both 9').. no fish on yet, tho.

T
treyis3
Cedar Creek area. It was a couple weeks ago now. I've been back twice since then (of course!), with no luck at all. I went yesterday & the water was a good color, but it's getting really low & I didn't see any fish at all. They were apparently stacked in there. The day I caught this one, I saw a 10 lb Steelhead breach twice, right in front of me, and several Chinooks roll. I was casting to that Steelhead when I hooked this monster. Luckily I was into the thick part of my leader... I talked to a gear guy in the parking lot who said he had hooked 8 Chinooks near the mouth of the creek in the last week. Sounds about right gear vs. fly.

My rod is an 8 wt. 10'. All I use. I went up from my old 9 1/2' last year. Makes a huge difference for single-hand. Don't like speys personally, and it makes casting a lot better.