Anybody fish in Willow Lake this past weekend?

D
David Shurr
I'm thinking of fishing there this week and wanted to know if the fishing is good from the banks of the lake or do you need a boat?

O
ohiojarhead
I personally think boat is better. There is a point just across from the boat ramp that has been productive for me. There is a road that goes to that spot but it is not improved and I have not explored it. Usually find perch and crappie (white) near bottom. Perch were egg filled in 40 feet there back in March. Silver sided trout with still in about 10-30 feet or troll when weather warms up. I have no clue about the species holding near the dam. I imagine near the ramp just after stocking. If you like little trout. grin Pat

D
David Shurr
Thanks for the info. I was going to be in the area during the week for work. So I thought I might stop and check it out. Unfurtunately, I will not have a boat. I need to get a kayak that I can put on the roof while working.

O
ohiojarhead
Are you a roofer? What a visual! grin Kayak on the roof, ...mutter, mutter.

David Shurr said:
Thanks for the info. I was going to be in the area during the week for work. So I thought I might stop and check it out. Unfurtunately, I will not have a boat. I need to get a kayak that I can put on the roof while working.

S
sportsmanlio
The bite picks up as the weather warms. I fish either off the dam, or from the Forest Service docks. The signage says that fishing is not allowed if boats are underway, so if a boat comes by, reel up and move out of the way. Last summer I had a friend who camped there for a week, and he averaged about 75 fish a day (90% perch with some bullheads, bass, crappie, and trout in there, too). I didn't do quite as well as he did, but I still got about 40 fish when I met him there one afternoon.

M
Mad dog
My son fished it last week and brought home around 25 Crappie or so. The larger females were going to about 12" or so. You do not need a boat, all of the Crappie are hugging the shoreline right now getting ready to spawn. Look around structure....particularly willow bushes in the coves or shallows.