Alton Baker trout fishing

J
JeannaJigs
Alton baker is evil. They make you think it's so easy, because it's this little wimpy pond. Pickiest hatchery fish I have ever seen in my life.

F
fishin_fool
Is it still full of Carp to

G
grampa ron
Alton Baker Trout

Alton Baker Trout

I ususally have no problem catching trout in Alton Baker, I caught a 22" there last week and 18" 3 days ago.

H
Hooked on fishin'
grampa ron said:
I ususally have no problem catching trout in Alton Baker, I caught a 22" there last week and 18" 3 days ago.

You using your fly rod? I finally picked one up at a yard sale, can't say I can use it very well though. I went out to JC to practice and did ok, then i put new leader and tippet on, and now I can't seem to get it right. I was thinking of going over to AB to give it a shot, what kind of flies are you using, if any? Would be nice to try it where there is a chance of catching something.

R
rainbowfisherman
did you catch anything at JCP?

H
Hooked on fishin'
rainbowfisherman said:
did you catch anything at JCP?

No I didn't, the water level is very low there right now, and I am sure it is real warm. Any fish still in there are holding deep. I did not see any activity at all, but I was not expecting any either. I just went there to see if I could figure out the fly rod on some water instead of using a park or lot. Although, I did catch a lot of fish there earlier in the year, mostly on spinners and kastmasters. They start stocking again around Christmas, and the water level should be up and the temp down by then.

T
TTFishon
fishin_fool said:
Is it still full of Carp to

Back when I was a teenager it had some nice bass too.

H
Hooked on fishin'
Anyone tried the canal lately? Any luck?

B
bigfootfish
TTFishon, the first pond/lake on A. Baker going downstream from thr freeway still has some nice largemouth bass in it. Big carp too.

BFF

H
Hooked on fishin'
I hit AB yesterday, I caught five on a 1/4 oz chrome and green kastmaster, the guys near me were killin' em on powerbait. They were getting decent size ones too. I switched to bait and....nothing. Then this guy came with his son, they were dragging flies behind a bobber with spinning gear, and slayin em. So, I got my fly rod out and caught seven in about a half hour! My first fish on my fly rod!! Went there today and caught three in about five minutes then nothing. I finally broke the curse of AB!! Caught and released all those fish by the way!

R
rainbowfisherman
What kind flies were u using?? And were they using normall spinning bobbers or fly fishing little bobbers??

H
Hooked on fishin'
rainbowfisherman said:
What kind flies were u using?? And were they using normall spinning bobbers or fly fishing little bobbers??

they were using clear bobbers, just normal type i guess. I tried that with a regular type weighted bobber and got a strike on my second cast. I was using small black gold bead head nymphs, they look almost like little jigs, got em at bi-mart.

H
Hooked on fishin'
killed em again today, got some good size ones too! average size around 12-13",
once again using flies. We got skunked at Leaburg, then had a great two hours at AB! Sorry no pics I did not have my camera:)

H
Hooked on fishin'
Went to AB today to practice with my new fly rod, did not expect to catch anything, but i caught a small native rainbow, about 9 inches. I released him, put up a good fight for a little guy.:)

J
Junglefrank
Skunked today

Skunked today

Hooked on fishin' said:
Went to AB today to practice with my new fly rod, did not expect to catch anything, but i caught a small native rainbow, about 9 inches. I released him, put up a good fight for a little guy.:)

I was at AB today, but it was pretty dead. Don't think they stocked it yet... Nice catch on the fly. What part of the canal were you fishing?

H
Hooked on fishin'
Junglefrank said:
I was at AB today, but it was pretty dead. Don't think they stocked it yet... Nice catch on the fly. What part of the canal were you fishing?

I was fishing the large part, right by the entrance to the park. I saw a fish rise down towards the restaurant area, and i walked down and casted in that area and, fish on!! They will begin stocking this week I believe, although the weather will probably make the bite slow. I have gone to JCP several times in the past couple weeks, and it has been really slow. The problem with AB is that the fish can swim right out to the Willamette, so the stocked fish do not always hang around very long.Good luck, I may get out there, but we just bought a manufactured home and I have to do a lot of work on it before we can move in, so not so much time to fish!:cool: