About spring spinners!

A
Astonleo
Does anyone vow by throwing spinners for springers? If so what are your favorite colors and sizes?

S
steelhead_slayer
Spinners have definitely worked for me. I don't think the color matters too much. Its mostly about getting it down in front of there face. The deeper the water the heavier/bigger the spinner.

F
FishFinger
Gosh.... Out of all the years of targeting Springers (Columbia, Willamette, Clackamas systems) I don't believe I've ever used a spinner. Rigging cut plug herring, drifting roe, shrimp cocktails under a bobber, plunking spin & glows , wrapped k-15s or just a simple stingy yarn fly have been the goto set ups.

By the time URB arrive the water temp is favorable for Brads / Alvin wobblers while sitting on the hook.

Come coastal fall Chinook season spinners rule. Big ones (size 7) thumper blades such as fatal flash or BC angling post Synergy blades to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
D
DrTheopolis
It's about all I use in the tribs. Casting large (but matched to current and depth, usually a #3-#5) on lighter line (8-10) has been deadly for me.

In the bigger water (Big C, Willy), I've never bothered trying. Too much depth and current to get it down. But I did see some guys chucking big ones in West Linn OFF the bank. No idea how effectively they were fishing.

Big water is a herring/Kwik show for me (which I don't do much of).

K
kmarsh49
While we're on the subject of springers, has anyone had any luck lately in the Jones Beach area near Westport. Went there today, spent about 6 hours on the beach using spin & glows tipped with cured shrimp and not a bite. A guy down from me hooked a steelie on the same rig but lost it. Couple other guys there but I didn't see anything being caught. Lots of smelt close to shore, live and dead. Are the salmon feeding on the smelt and not interested in our stuff? First time plunking salmon this way for me. I went online to look at spin & glow rigs so I know I'm doing that right.Any tips? Colors? Best tides?