A majestic river

S
Spydeyrch
I saw this online and for some reason it touched me. It even brought a tear to my eye right at the end. I hope you enjoy it.

[video]http://globalflyfisher.com/video/river-hope[/video]

-Spydey

R
rippin fish lips
Great Post. Thank you. I hope, that one day i will get a chance to experience what he did and many of you "old timer" veterans did back in the day when the runs were GREAT.

Chromatose
Chromatose
thumbs_up.png

T
Tinker
They're cutting trees as fast as they can up aloong one of the coastal rivers near me right now. Prices for trees are up. It worries me that before I can get to know that river, it will be completely changed, and won't recover in my lifetime. I wish that we could protect logging - folks have to work - but end clear-cutting.

It's a good video. Thanks for finding it for us.

troutdude
troutdude
Hey RFL...who you callin' "old timer"? :lol:

(Just tryin' to insert a little early morning levity, into a very sad commentary on the state of our state).

I come from a family that were loggers for generations. All hard working peeps, who loved their families and this wonderful state. But, they didn't rape & pillage the land like we see greedy corporate pork barrel big shots do these days. Those people don't give a damn, about what they do to the land. We need to find ways, to hold them accountable. But yet, keep our loggin' families with food on their tables.

Thanks for sharing Spydey.

P.S. I also wish that we could outlaw the "strip mining" of trees; along Oregon's Highways and byways too. Imagine visitors to Oregon; thinking that we care so little that we strip the scenery OFF of our lands?

Last edited:
T
Tinker
When we knew we'd be moving back home, we got some information on a little place with frontage on the North Fork of the Coquille. We drove up the next weekend only to find that every tree on the land was gone, there had been no replanting (and none was planned), and that the soil was running off into the river - it was raining that week. The owner lived in Alaska, had inherited the land from her parents, and promptly sold all of the trees. Very steep land with no value for anything other than the trees. Can't farm it, can't graze it. She just took the money and ran.

We looked at another place on the Coquille that looked good until we found the estate of the original owners had sold every square inch of land with a tree on it to a timber company and it was scheduled to be logged later that year. The heirs don't live in Oregon and just took the money and ran.

It's not just the corporations.

S
Silvers&Steelies
Looks like what is going on around my old home river on the coast. Plus there were a few really bad storms that destroyed trees back in 2007 right after I left there and had a lot of timber in the river.

H
halibuthitman
It impossible to spend time in the canyon and not be touched by its ghost.. The old days there still haunt me.. I will always go back, nice post Andrew-