Winter Camping and Fishing Along Oregon Coast Suggestions?

W
Woodsman79
I live in Florence on the Central Oregon Coast, I know there is a multitude of lakes and campgrounds but I don't have experience with any of them. It will be me and my daughter, we are wanting to camp one night and hopefully catch some trout and bass or really whatever is biting. Any recommendations where to start? Like to make this a monthly thing and try different lakes and campgrounds as we go. Thank you!

O
olshiftybiscuits
Woodsman79 said:
I live in Florence on the Central Oregon Coast, I know there is a multitude of lakes and campgrounds but I don't have experience with any of them. It will be me and my daughter, we are wanting to camp one night and hopefully catch some trout and bass or really whatever is biting. Any recommendations where to start? Like to make this a monthly thing and try different lakes and campgrounds as we go. Thank you!
Once ODFW arrives to stock the mid coast lakes in early February, you’ll be able to catch fish at any of the lakes on the planting schedule. Cleawox is my personal favorite from an aesthetic standpoint. Most of the stocked lakes don’t have campgrounds right on them, but nearby instead. They’re all pretty, and you’ll have most of them to yourself in February.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF!

Here are some bass hotspots at nearby Siltcoos Lake; and you'll find perch in and around Butterfly Island. But you'd likely need a boat to get to most of those places.

1705617136231.jpeg

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Here is another map of Siltcoos which, by the way, has MANY different species of fish. Either residents in the lake, or moving through it to spawn in the tributaries.

Ada campground--at the outlet of Fiddle Creek--was a great place to camp as as kid in the 70's. Probably still a cool place to go, and it's not far from your home.

1705595152739.jpeg

Reactions: beavis
troutdude
troutdude
Snopro said:
Your link looks like a stereo.😉
@Snopro thank you. I'm into vintage stereo gear too...can you tell? LOL (I fixed it)

Reactions: Snopro
W
Woodsman79
Thank you! Definitely want to be trying Siltcoos but I do not have a boat but I will see what I can find from the shore for now!

hobster
hobster
I would recommend Tahkenitch lake. It is just down the road from Siltcoos. The campground is right on the lake and you can fish off the dock. If you have a canoe, there is good fishing right around there. It is not inundated with private homes like Siltcoos, much prettier, and quieter

• Love
Reactions: troutdude
W
Woodsman79
hobster said:
I would recommend Tahkenitch lake. It is just down the road from Siltcoos. The campground is right on the lake and you can fish off the dock. If you have a canoe, there is good fishing right around there. It is not inundated with private homes like Siltcoos, much prettier, and quieter
Thank you. I have drove past it many times and thought it looked like a nice area but hadn't drove to either of the campgrounds there. I will definitely check it out... sounds perfect!

W
Woodsman79
F
Fishdontbitemylure
Honeyman campground has good camping sites and a lake, I’ve only fished it in summer for bass but I hear there’s rainbow trout in the lake too, it’s pretty close to Florence as well. It’s got a boat dock and decent shore fishing as well.

Reactions: troutdude, Woodsman79 and rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
the best option for bank/dock trout fishing near Florence is Cleavox on the west side of Honeyman. check the trout stocking schedule and go catch a bunch!

Reactions: troutdude and Woodsman79
F
frontierhistorian
Not far from you is Alder Dune Campground (nfs) and Alder Lake, really a pond, which has trout. Haven't camped in the winter, but if its open, it could make a nice overnighter.

L
LuedtkeLB
Woodsman79 said:
Hello! I live in Florence as well. Alder Dune is good for kid trout fishing and camping. Siltcoos is great, but only if you have a boat. Tackenitch has a nice campground and a dock to fish off. Cleawox at Honeyman has nice amenities and camping but elbow room can be limited.
Steelhead are currently coming in… if you ever need a fishing buddy.

• Love
W
Woodsman79
LuedtkeLB said:
Hello! I live in Florence as well. Alder Dune is good for kid trout fishing and camping. Siltcoos is great, but only if you have a boat. Tackenitch has a nice campground and a dock to fish off. Cleawox at Honeyman has nice amenities and camping but elbow room can be limited.
Steelhead are currently coming in… if you ever need a fishing buddy.
I appreciate it. I drove through Alder Dune and it looked like a nice place to camp right now...hardly anyone there! Cleawox is real close to me but I know Honeyman is a busy place but I am sure I will give it a try here soon. I must admit I have never landed a steelhead... have hooked two both were when trout fishing and didn't land either.

W
Woodsman79
frontierhistorian said:
Not far from you is Alder Dune Campground (nfs) and Alder Lake, really a pond, which has trout. Haven't camped in the winter, but if its open, it could make a nice overnighter.
Thank you. Yes, I drove through it and will most likely give it a shot. It's open and hardly any campers, which is nice in my opinion.

troutdude
troutdude
Here's a map of lake even closer I suspect...

S
Snopro
Is that a Pete Heley book? I miss his fishing reports.