Walton Lake rainbows

Irishrover
Irishrover
Spent some time up in the Ochoco Mountains at Walton Lake this week. Had a great camping trip with three grandsons, son and daughter in law, wife and the other set of grandparents. The fishing was lights out! The grandsons brought in limits every day. A lot of fun to watching them out on the lake fishing and catching. Nights were also a great time spent around the campfire listening to them and their fish stories. It's rewarding when they reach that point when they do it all themselves, tying on the hooks and weights, casting their lines and using the net. It also gives me a chance to slip off and do a bit of fly fishing. I was lucky enough to land a 19 1/2 inch bow on a size 14 soft hackle. We ended up with plenty of fish for a fish fry and enough to take home and can.

Walton Lake is a great place to take kids fishing. It's a small lake where they can be on their own and you can keep an eye on them from a distance. Walton3.jpgWalton1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RIPPPITTT, Chromatose and rogerdodger
Fummus
Fummus
Thanks for sharing. Hearing about your trip makes me smile. Glad it was such a good trip.

Reactions: RIPPPITTT
troutdude
troutdude
That right there is what it's all about!

Diehard
Diehard
Some nice trout there sure sounds like a good time đź‘Ť

hobster
hobster
Nice! That fish in the net is a biggin

troutdude
troutdude
hobster said:
Nice! That fish in the net is a biggin
Looks like a 2-year holdover. Not sure if it's accurate. But I was once told to count the different colored bans, on the tail fin. It appears to have 2 stripes beyond the original. Ergo 2 years feeding on natural foods.

Irishrover
Irishrover
TD, you sparked my interest on trout size and age. Naturally I called our mutual friends Rancid Crabtree and Retch Sweeney.;) They told me to refer to this web site. It is loaded with information on rainbow trout. It has a couple of charts. One is a length to weight chart and the other is a length to age chart.

https://hookedinfishing.com/freshwater-species/rainbow-trout/

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude