Wilson report (warning: dead fish pics)

T
troutmasta
Fished the wilson this weekend with collegekidUSA (Ben)

Saturday: Cold! Started out at our favorite private hole on the wilson and to our dismay there were two other anglers there, Not so private any more. Oh well went down to the old guide shop and fished the bridge above the bend. WOW! Not sure how many of you have got into chums but they frickin roll in herds, fight like nooks and look like tiger striped alligator gar! A week ago I had only seen pics, now there in my nightmares. The name of the game was filter out the nooks. Both the chums and nooks were hitting my eggs super hard. As, the morning grew we met a fellow angler who swore by a corkie pattern for nooks showed it to me as I was running out of eggs. Tied that on and the fish loved it. Still couldnt stop catching chums though, which was super fun at first. Later after setting 30+ hooks and fighting 20 of em my wrist was a burning and I didn't want any more chums. Thank goodness as the sun set the set the last corkie hungry nook commited and we left with multiple fish and smiles.

Saunday: Wetish warmer than the day before. Went straight to the bridge same rock 2nd cast boom chrome nook on. Fought around the bend, and lost. Only brought 12 pnd test mainline and was running 20 pnd leader broke OFF above my leader swivel. 10 min later the guy next to me yells fish on! chrome hen swims straight at him, no fight nets it. Guess what its dragging, a 20 pnd leader with corkies on the end.
SO....... for all of you Haters out there that assume ALL corke fisherman are snaggers, The picture below looking in the fishes mouth you can see my Corkie Setup Buried in a Nooks Throat!!! Im by far a bait fisherman for salmon! However I learned ton this weekend on presentation and corkie fishing from a guy I just met on the river. Do it right theyll eat any thing! To finish the day I lost the biggest nook Id ever hooked,:(:(:( threw up in my mouth a little:shock::shock::shock: and headed home at 10:30 w zero nooks to the bank and about 10 more chum salmon to my name.

:DTotal score for the weekend about 35 outa 60 (not a fish tale):D

One of the best salmon weekends Ive ever had. Thanks Ben for all the net work and tailing, you da man.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Great report. I've always wanted to get into those chum with a fly rod.

B
bran_man
Nice ones! some were a little dark, but those chromers are beautiful! Looks like they all would cut great though! great set of fish overall! You need to change your name from troutmasta to salmonmasta now! ha ha

Reactions: collegekidusa
O
OnTheDrop
jamisonace said:

Get over to the Miami... Youll have some fun!

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
I can only Imagine. Myself, Ive had enough chum to hold me over for a millenia or two! I bet its a great fish for new anglers though, super aggressive

bran_man said:
Nice ones! some were a little dark, but those chromers are beautiful! Looks like they all would cut great though! great set of fish overall! You need to change your name from troutmasta to salmonmasta now! ha ha

All the fish cut pretty nice, in fact the darker ones were a little fresher than you would think and the chromers cut kinda salmon, not much red:think:

W
waco
You killing me man! I was on the Wilson on Saturday and we only found 2!! :think:

J
jimmyg
Hey troutmasta...great report! Thanks for sharing. I'm planning on heading out tomorrow to the Wilson, but I've never actually fished this water. I'm new to the Portland area, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from these forums and anglers like you. Would you mind sharing where you were fishing? General areas, mile markers, etc.? You mentioned in your report: "went down to the old guide shop and fished the bridge above the bend". Would you mind sharing a little more detail for me, as I'm not familiar with this area? If you would prefer not sharing, I understand...just looking for a little insight/direction. If you'd prefer not to post and instead would be willing to email directly, that would be great. (jim@northwestmri.com) Thanks in advance! -jimmyg

G
Goodtimes
Nice report! Loved how ya learned new techniques, gear, and new kind of fish! AWESOME! Thanks for the report.

jamisonace
jamisonace
That's what I hear. A buddy is going this week.

SteelmonKiller20 said:
Get over to the Miami... Youll have some fun!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I bet the chromed were female. Those late run hens sometimes mature in the ocean

QUOTE=troutmasta;262178]I can only Imagine. Myself, Ive had enough chum to hold me over for a millenia or two! I bet its a great fish for new anglers though, super aggressive

All the fish cut pretty nice, in fact the darker ones were a little fresher than you would think and the chromers cut kinda salmon, not much red:think:[/QUOTE]

C
collegekidusa
Kickin Ass SalmonMasta!!! :D

Reactions: troutmasta
S
steelhead1
Bad ass! I love weekends like these:D

T
troutmasta
jimmyg said:
Hey troutmasta...great report! Thanks for sharing. I'm planning on heading out tomorrow to the Wilson, but I've never actually fished this water. I'm new to the Portland area, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from these forums and anglers like you. Would you mind sharing where you were fishing? General areas, mile markers, etc.? You mentioned in your report: "went down to the old guide shop and fished the bridge above the bend". Would you mind sharing a little more detail for me, as I'm not familiar with this area? If you would prefer not sharing, I understand...just looking for a little insight/direction. If you'd prefer not to post and instead would be willing to email directly, that would be great. (jim@northwestmri.com) Thanks in advance! -jimmyg
The guide shop is near mile marker 6 it's burned down but there's a giant gravel pull out in between mile marker 7 and 6 on Highway 6 I would start there and head up stream the river will be rising tomorrow so I imagine the fish will be flying right in and keep going up

L
LawyerBob
Wow, sounds like a truly epic day! I was also on the Wilson Saturday. We drifted from Mills Bridge to Sollie Smith. The fish were all at or above Mills Bridge. Saw two chinook get pulled out as I was launching the boat, then we only saw a single dark one the entire way down. Spoke with a few others that hit the tidewaters, including a few guides. Most didn't see a single fish out there.

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice work. I Was on the river early Sunday. Fish were rolling everywhere. I lost one and my buddy missed a bobberdown in the 3 hours we were there.

O
OnTheDrop
steelhead_slayer said:
Nice work. I Was on the river early Sunday. Fish were rolling everywhere. I lost one and my buddy missed a bobberdown in the 3 hours we were there.

Did you gus make it to the spot i was telling you about? I didn't even go up hwy 6. Because of how many people were there.... The chums were diggin the first bites though. You lay into 'em on the fly rod?

S
steelhead_slayer
Yep That is where we went. Definitely want to make it back there and spend more time on the water. Yeah I felt bad for the abuse those chums were putting on my fly rod so I switched to a spinning rod half way through the day.

T
troutmasta
steelhead_slayer said:
Yep That is where we went. Definitely want to make it back there and spend more time on the water. Yeah I felt bad for the abuse those chums were putting on my fly rod so I switched to a spinning rod half way through the day.

Those chums are absolutely insane! I can't get over how aggressive they are.

O
OnTheDrop
steelhead_slayer said:

Right on man. Glad you got into some fish... I just picked up some killer eggs that I didn't even use. My buddy and I will be doing a couple day float over thanksgiving on the Wilson and if ya want to come get on the boat one day your more than welcome to dude.

O
OnTheDrop
troutmasta said:
Those chums are absolutely insane! I can't get over how aggressive they are.

It's bad***! But yes, becomes a problem when you aren't targeting them...lol.