Willamette Eugene area summer steelhead advise

T
taconight2night
So I think I'm gonna take a rod and a couple spinners out tomorrow around sunset in the Eugene area. 10lb flocarb and a couple blue fox's... Any tips on where I may see a steelhead or springer?

T
taconight2night
oh and I'll be sure to give a report :thumb:

E
eugene1
They dump the smolts in at boat ramps in town and that's where the fish come back to.

Seems like a poor return this year, however.

I would try Alton Baker or around Day Island though as there are spots with deeper water around there.

T
taconight2night
Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

C
coyo7e
I've mostly been going just for the fun, haven't seen much action. I haven't been to Armitage in a month or two and kind of want to go check it out again.. I got chewed to hell by no see ums camping and fly fishing a week ago and haven't wanted to go outside until I stopped itching lol.

Troutski
Troutski
Elisa Bristol State Park....

Elisa Bristol State Park....

Try Elisa Bristol Park on Hwy 58. Great water and it even has a nice population of Rainbow... Waders are a plus but not mandatory, small spinners and spoons are perfect for this water. Once you make it to the river, fish up stream until you pass the large bend; there is a wonderful hole and large back eddy... Tight lines and enjoy the water...

Chuck

T
taconight2night
Thanks guys. I hope I don't have to paint myself in bug spray. Makes my skin crawl.. Elijah Bristol State park on the map is a bit far for me to explore tonight, but I'll take a peek soon when I can get down that way. Thanks for the tip! I think I'm gonna try around the bridges near the NW part of town. I hooked a steelhead there a few years back just dink'n around. I'll let you guys know what I see!

T
taconight2night
Just got home. Ready? Drum roll please.... ... ... ... not even a bite :( That's OK, it's always nice to get out on the river ;) Yeah, I didn't see any signs of a fish other than quite a nice steelhead I found floating belly-up next to the bank. It was a pretty nice one actually; 8+lbs and chrome. Hadn't of been there for more than a day I would say.. Forgot to look if it was a hatchery or native fish, dang it. Wonder what killed it... But other than that, nothing. I fished for about two hours before sunset near the bridge that is by Good pasture rd. footbridge. Really a pretty area with amazing million dollar mansions scattered about. Just wish this area felt a little more fishy.

B
Bswe22
I usually fish that area after work during the summer and I have pulled steelhead outta there as well. I have seen more steelhead come out of that water than I have been able to pull out myself.... Lol..... Although this year I haven't seen a steelhead come out of that area yet, nor have I seen many people even trying that area. There are usually always somebody there fishing. Anyway, with the lack of summer steelhead this summer I have been working on my trout fishing skills. You always need to be fishing for something, right???? [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
coyo7e
Troutski said:
Try Elisa Bristol Park on Hwy 58. Great water and it even has a nice population of Rainbow... Waders are a plus but not mandatory, small spinners and spoons are perfect for this water. Once you make it to the river, fish up stream until you pass the large bend; there is a wonderful hole and large back eddy... Tight lines and enjoy the water...

Chuck
Yeah if that's the one I think it's a pretty well-known Hole. :)

The brush and stuff around Elijah Bristow is pretty dry and dusty this time of year and weather between the parking and the fishing water, although you'll see what it would be like wetter, as soon as you walk in for a few minutes.. ;) There's poison oak along the riverside path area (and probably in toward the park as well) on the downstream half, but the upstream portion seems to get more traffic, maybe someone who goes there a lot is immune and pulling it when they see it (my mom does that, makes me cringe but never bothers her LOL). Be aware that Elijah is a horse path park, so be polite if you've got a dog or kids. :)

Reactions: Troutski