Walked around Golden Gardens Ponds yesterday

plumbertom
plumbertom
Mainly for a little exercise but I carried my lightweight pole and pulled my little gear cart with me.
Tossed a couple of different lures just in case. Had only one strike close in to shore at a trout pattern Thomas Buoyant spoon that looked like a bass, even though it was a short strike.
Just fished in the main pond, hoping that if I caught something it might prompt me to get there more often as I spend too much time sitting on my duff.
I did see a few guys fishing for carp. Doing the bait and wait with corn.
No one was catching while I was in the area. But they told me there are good sized common carp there.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Steel4life
Big carp.. Lol catch them all the time, but we don't use corn we make our own carp bait at it catch's fish at about a 6:1 ratio over corn and about a 10:1 over worms lol

plumbertom
plumbertom
Do you make boilies? If so sweet or salty? Any particular color you find works best?

S
Steel4life
Idk what boilies are, but we make a dough type bait. Sweet, salty, spicy all have worked great

plumbertom
plumbertom
Boilies are a cornmeal, club soda and sugar type dough bait made with egg, rolled into balls and boiled for a few minutes to firm them up.
Good if you want to freeze them they keep well. A lot of uncooked dough baits don't freeze very well and are only good for a couple weeks.

S
Steel4life
Okay I got you. Idk we make about 2lbs of bait at a time and it only last about 4hours for 100+ fish. But but on a nice sunny warm day last week we went 152/179 in two hours. As soon as you casted and your bait hit the bottom it was fish on. Lol

B
billfisher
:popcorn:Two people each catching a carp every 47 seconds for 2 hours. You should make a video of that.

1 nut in the water
Anything is possible- just ask Steve!

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Steel4life
Alright next time I go I'll see if I can use my buddies go pro and see if we can upload to youtube, and I'll post a link

D
DrTheopolis
billfisher said:
Two people each catching a carp every 47 seconds for 2 hours. You should make a video of that.

By my math, 2 people (he never actually states a number of rods) fishing for 2 hours = 240 rod-minutes (is that even a real term?). 152 landed in 240 minutes = landing one about every minute and 40 seconds(or 120/76 works, too).

Reeling in, unhooking/releasing (presumably), rebaiting in 1:40 seems a bit far-fetched. As a teen, I got into my fair share of red-hot carp fishing, but that number seems a bit much...

But it's fishing -- if you're not going to exaggerate, get the heck OFF the internet.

M
montym
I'd pay to watch fishing like that ☺

T
Throbbit _Shane
There's times on the umpua river when the small mouth bass fishing is like that in the summer.

J
Jdangler xD
I've had days in
glacial lakes where I've caught 60 trout. Also on the deschutes. Wickiup can be hot for Browns and bass. Had many successful days on the metolius where I've caught 10 bull trout over 10 lbs in 5 hours. And a handful of everything else including many 15+ Lb trout. many of those stories would sound exaggerated. Especially if you fish the metolius and get skunked Everytime like many people I know. Sounds like a good time. I just missed my second steelhead this week and am still hunting my first carp.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Long as this has evolved into a bragging thread, I'll toss in my claim.
I've had days fishing on Lake Nacimiento in SoCal near San Luis Obispo, where I've caught over 100 fish.
Mostly consisting of White Bass with a scattering of Small Mouth and the occasional Bluegill just as a surprise catch.
Only place in Ca. where White Bass are to be found. There are a few places where Hybrids can be caught.
Naci can be an amazing fishery. I've sat in my boat near the dam looking up river across the lake where it 1/2 mile wide and two miles to the bend, and watched White Bass boiling from side to side all the way to the bend.
Add to that, a very healthy crappie population, Large Mouth, Spotted Bass, and plenty of channel cats and it makes it almost impossible to fish without catching something. At least in the Spring, Summer and Fall. I've even caught planted rainbows up where the river runs into the lake. On the down side, the river and a couple of the creeks that run into the lake come from an area that have several abandoned cinnabar mines up stream so Mercury is a real problem. Good fishing but not for the table.

J
Jdangler xD
Since this post has been redirected. Personal best today! image.jpg