Visiting Eugene next week - no car - want to get a line wet!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Also, I believe the Hilton might have bikes for guests to use (rent?). That would help you find lots of water. Just jump on the river trail at Skinner Butte and follow the river.

R
RIVERFISHER
Lits of steel all over willy... right outside of alton baker were canal goes to river... or the town run bye d street... last two weeks through day island to back behind skinners we have hit abiut 8 or 9 fish.. mostly on weekends cause to busy to fish during week:(... good luck.. if ya need any hints or pointers just call me.. I know the river real well... 541-228-4897... mike..

Reactions: TTFishon
18406ej
18406ej
Hi Hawk,

I am going to blame YOU for the hijack. The Springfield article and photos were fun to see. Before the concept of "Cougars" took hold, the Department spokesman was at a local bar and went home with a woman several years his senior. As he recounted the tale, the woman was wearing several layers of compressive undergarments, and as she removed each piece, "She just got bigger and bigger!".

EJ

Y
yankeehusker
thanks for the offer riverfisher!

R
randomschmoejoe
With bank access up and down the river and a great bus system we have a whole lot of options for the angler with limit mobility in town. All that said you are just in time for a few fat cutthroat in town with a good chance of hookin up with a summer steelhead! Hit me up and i'll make sure our paths intersect at some good trout water close to down town.

Reactions: TTFishon
Y
yankeehusker
Another question if you all don't mind. I am bringing just an ultralight with 6 lb test. Is that enough for a steelhead??

Sorry if I sound silly, this is from a guy who is used to 30 pound braid and 40 pound leaders for pike. Just different context!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
yankeehusker said:
Another question if you all don't mind. I am bringing just an ultralight with 6 lb test. Is that enough for a steelhead??

Sorry if I sound silly, this is from a guy who is used to 30 pound braid and 40 pound leaders for pike. Just different context!!

I wouldnt really worry about it. It can be enough for steelhead but more so if you can chase after it in a boat or have waders. Id just hope to catch some nice trout if I were and if you hook into a steelhead it'll be an added bonus. Its still pretty early for them around here. Have fun out there and good luck!

E
eugene1
Sounds a bit light for slaying the steel unless you're on a boat in a good section. I use 50 lb braid for summer steel while on anchor in swift water to get them in quick. Still lose some if they go downstream quick though. But, like Shane said, you'll probably get into more trout this early in the summer run season.

Where are you coming from, yankee? sounds like you have some good fishing background. Any pics of your pike??

Also, we should make this thread a sticky on how to treat the new people! Lots of good info and invites, maybe it's because yankee will be a temp fisherperson here? LOL.

Best,

yankeehusker said:

Reactions: Troutski
Troutski
Troutski
"Also, we should make this thread a sticky on how to treat the new people!"

Consider it done...Stuck... great choice of threads!

Chuck

Last edited:
Y
yankeehusker
indeed! treatment has been fantastic!

i am coming in from connecticut. i can post up some river striper and pike pics tonight. that and bass are most of my fishing around here. just starting to get into trout too.

D
DYJ
The Coastal Fork of the Willamette was dumping brown water into the middle fork on Saturday. I can't imagine it got any better over the weekend. Anyone fish the Mac? Hows it looking?

F
Fast Eddie
I was out on the Mac on Saturday during the downpour. Water was a bit higher than in previous weeks but still very clear. I hooked up with a few smaller cutthroat all on dries. There were a few hatches through the afternoon when it was not raining.

Y
yankeehusker
Had a little trouble uploading pics. Maybe they are too big. Clicked on the pic icon, hit upload and nothing happened.

Oh well. I am from Connecticut by way of all over the midwest and some of the south. Oregon is one of three states I haven't visited in the continental US! Should be a good trip.