12 lb test ?

U
upperroguepirate
well, I know the answer to my question but I only have 1 spinning reel and that is for silvers and Steelhead. a Blue flueger president. A great reel. and i'm using a berekley air 9'6 medium 8-12 I love the feel of it.

I'm set for kings with my lamiglas and ABU C4. so i'm taking both rods to the river. Can't throw a bobber and eggs very well with my casting rod and I just hope that if I hook a king using my spinning rod and reel on 12 lb test that I don't break off losing a fish and possibly my thill bobber. Oh well...

I was going to tie the main line to a swivel and run 20 lb straight on through but I don't like having a swivel up there so my main is going through to the weight and 20 on the leader. I don't like the idea of "wasting" my already tied on stops but guess it's my preference and tie on new ones. river holes might not be all that deep and if you have a swivel up top then you can't really move the bobber up or down and I don't want a bunch of free line hanging behind my back in trying to cast.

another question do any of you use that swivel up top or do u usually run ur main all the way through to the weight. Im not using a swivel down below either, i'm using those inline weights and tie on at both ends.

if I had used that swivel then my 12 lb test knot would be about 3 or 4 feet higher up instead of being tied on at the sinker. Does something think there is not much difference in line pressure give or take 3 or 4 feet above and or below? sorry if I didn't explain this cleary but if I lose a king to 12 lb test and improved clinch, I would hate to lose my thill bobber but oh well. can always find another on the river somewhere :) On a good day :)

T
troutmasta
the only way to not lose your bobber is to have a lighter leader weight beneath the bobber than the main line. On my spinning reel, an Abu cardinal, I run 65 pound braid during nook season. Its smaller diamater than 12 pound mono and then you can run 30 pound leaders and never lose anything. Ive fished coastal kings with 12 pound and its no fun, those fish will wihip you on 12.

p.s. for everyone thats going to say you can catch em on 8,10, or 12 pound line- ya maybe one in 25. Thats not my kinda odds.

Last edited:
B
bagold53
To help prevent bobber loss I have started putting a bobber stop between the bobber and sinker. this way if I hang up the sinker I have a chance of not seeing my bobber float down the river. Not sure why you would need a swivel on this type of setup. putting the a swivel between your main line and bobber will limit the depth that you can fish.

Reactions: troutmasta
S
Seahawkfan
Spend the time and few bucks on heavier line. JMO.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
IMO braid is the way to go. 50lb braid is IIRC the equivalent to 12lb mono in diameter. Running a heavy leader and lighter main line is a recipe for loosing a lot of tackle - the leader should always be lighter than the main if you only want to loose hooks/weights - think about it - 20lb test line is 75% stronger than your 12lb main line.

Run two bobber stops - one above and one below your slip bobber - tie your weight between the main line and leader. If you're running 50lb braid main you can use 20lb leader for nooks. If you to hook a nook - use all of the rod to fight the fish, don't fight it off the tip. Put as much bend in the rod as it can handle and fight the fish with the butt of the rod - you should be fine. A big nook might smoke your drag though.

For bobber fishing I would personally go with one of the high-vis yellow braids so it's easier to track the line visually. Tuff Line 50lb 125 yard spool should run you about $15. FWIW - put a bit of mono on the reel spool first as a backing - braid is slippery stuff and if you back it with mono, the mono will grip the spool better and then the braid can grip the mono. Use Uni knot to uni knot connections between braid and mono or flourocarbon.

Also - if you use braid do NOT, repeat DO NOT try to pull a snag free with your hands, don't use your rod to pump it free either - wrap the line around a strong, thick stick (a wooden 1 inch dowel is great for this) and pull on the stick. Braid will cut you like a razor if you try it with your hands, and it'll snap your rod if you try he-manning a stuck rig with the rod.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
bagold53 said:
To help prevent bobber loss I have started putting a bobber stop between the bobber and sinker. this way if I hang up the sinker I have a chance of not seeing my bobber float down the river.

I do the same thing.

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
p.s. for everyone thats going to say you can catch em on 8,10, or 12 pound line- ya maybe one in 25. Thats not my kinda odds.

Been a long time since I broke OFF a nook. I very rarely lose one to line breakage. Seems like a lot less than the other people I see on the river.

And I'm almost always fishing 8# (in the tribs, generally 30# in the bay).

I guess it's nice to be blessed with the Zen of fish fighting.

T
troutmasta
I'll buy you a beer the day you hook and land your next coastal nook on 8 pound line[emoji106]

But if/when it breaks OFF you have to buy me a beer.

I'd rather fight a fish on 8 in the bay than in the tribs.

JMO zen man.

N
Native Fisher
I have no problems landing 15-20lb steelhead on 8-12lb line why should someone expect to not land a chinook on the same? It is a challenge for sure on 8;b, but 12 isn't or has never been a problem for me, at least on the small coastal rivers I fish.

1 nut in the water
I catch 20-30# steelhead on my zebco with 4 # and a 2# leader but not many others have the same success as I do when I'm at Alton Baker in my boat taking pics of people that that may be breaking rules.

S
Seahawkfan
Native Fisher said:
I have no problems landing 15-20lb steelhead on 8-12lb line why should someone expect to not land a chinook on the same? It is a challenge for sure on 8;b, but 12 isn't or has never been a problem for me, at least on the small coastal rivers I fish.

Boy oh boy I'd pay to see a 30# Nook pulled out of the current and landed out of the Wilson on 12# line. Better be running that line all the way to the hook and be ready to run.

T
troutmasta
There are no 30# steelhead in AB

Okay I just realized u were being funny.

Ya I'm sure Mr. Miagi could do it with chopstix I catch scores of nooks. 80 main 30+ leader.

Last edited:
S
Seahawkfan
1 nut in the water said:
I catch 20-30# steelhead on my zebco with 4 # and a 2# leader but not many others have the same success as I do when I'm at Alton Baker in my boat taking pics of people that that may be breaking rules.

I laughed so hard when I read this I spit beer.

Nice!:worthy:

U
upperroguepirate
thanks Gun, troutmasta and everyone else for those tips. Yes, I do use 2 bobber stops and a bead on top and below the bobber. I'm with trout, coastal kings are brutes and why chance it. plus i might even break my 70.00 berkely air steelhead rod too.

Guess i'll buy me a spinning reel in nov. I did infact put some of that P LINE HYDROFLOAT braided or whatever it is and it can't cast worth of crap even with a 3/8 oz inline weight so i took it off and spooled up with fresh Maxima.

T
troutmasta
upperroguepirate said:
thanks Gun, troutmasta and everyone else for those tips. Yes, I do use 2 bobber stops and a bead on top and below the bobber. I'm with trout, coastal kings are brutes and why chance it. plus i might even break my 70.00 berkely air steelhead rod too.

Guess i'll buy me a spinning reel in nov. I did infact put some of that P LINE HYDROFLOAT braided or whatever it is and it can't cast worth of crap even with a 3/8 oz inline weight so i took it off and spooled up with fresh Maxima.
I use a 2 or 3 oz bobber with a 2 or 3 oz weight when fishing the coast. If you can't cast that....well.....

U
upperroguepirate
I didn't know there were 2 ounce bobbers. what the heck kind are those? does bi mart sell 'em? I always thought they were either made of plastic or balsa. geeze, I just looked on cabela's for starters and they have salmon stalker bobbers 2 to 5 ouncers. problem solved. Need to stop by bi mart to see if they have any. Thank you much trout. u da man, will let ya know when I hook that nook

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
upperroguepirate said:
I didn't know there were 2 ounce bobbers. what the heck kind are those? does bi mart sell 'em? I always thought they were either made of plastic or balsa. geeze, I just looked on cabela's for starters and they have salmon stalker bobbers 2 to 5 ouncers. problem solved. Need to stop by bi mart to see if they have any. Thank you much trout. u da man, will let ya know when I hook that nook

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Prem...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=10060142&rid=20

run main line to a snap swivel, run the line OFF the loops on the snap swivel the main line on the loop nearest the snap, leader OFF the other.

Then clip on one of these

http://www.amazon.com/CANNON-SINKER...F8&qid=1414478959&sr=1-3&keywords=3+oz+sinker

J
JeannaJigs
Beware the p - line hydrofloat! I will start by saying the only line I use that isn't braid is p - line cxx, I absolutely love it and have 100% confidence in its strength, but the hydrofloat is garbage. I used it for half a winter steelhead season before I got angry and threw it away and I wish I had done it sooner. It's a coated line and the coating will come off as soon as it comes into contact with a float, and then the fibers rather quickly become weakened and fray. It will lead you to nothing but heartbreak. It took 12 nice steelhead to make me realize the error of my ways. Get yourself some power pro microfilament braid. You won't regret it. It casts beautifully with at least an ounce. I find myself using 2 ounces most of the time in the fall and 3-4 for springers. Just depends on the depth and speed of the water, but 1 will never be too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

U
upperroguepirate
I got confused, I thought the bobbers or floats alone were 2 to 5 oz. and had some kind of heavy duty flotation built in. Now I get it...the bobbers are made with heavier foam for 2 oz through 5 oz. I think all I really need for the upper suislaw is 1 or 2 oz. and it's good to have a few heavier floats. went onto you tube to see how some are rigged.

Now I know what that foam slip bobber was that I found last year on the Rogue. It was a thick salmon slayer. I was wondering how the heck they are rigged. I started float fishin just last year and loved it. no more snags as long as you keep your depth correct. and u can fish all types of water. Finding a spot from the bank that allows you to play out a coastal king or chase it a bit is the real challenge on this river. by golly, I have a several 2 oz and 1 oz cannon balls from the Columbia that I used :) thanks for realizing I was lame about the weight of the bobbers : /

N
Native Fisher
Just speakign for myself, I use a 5/8 to 7/8oz floats in tidewater for fall chinook, I don't fish for chinook often out of tide due to the local regulations on my home water. During steelhead season I rarely use more then an 1/8 to 3/8oz bobber. Most of the people I fish around use similar sizes so maybe it is a local thing...