12 lb test ?

U
upperroguepirate
native fisher, the heavy weights we or I am talking about is because i'm using a casting rod and reel and I was not casting very far even with a 3/8 oz inline sinker with float & eggs. Using a spinning reel for kings is no problem. I mean i'm casting a 1oz spinner from the jetty a long ways on my casting set up. maybe the air drag on the thill float is holding up a bit, plus I'm running 20 lb from the reel.

Last edited:
N
Native Fisher
upperroguepirate said:
native fisher, the heavy weights we or I am talking about is because i'm using a casting rod and reel and I was not casting very far even with a 3/8 oz and the float with eggs. A spinning reel for kings is no problem. I mean i'm casting a 1oz spinner from the jetty a long ways if I wanted to. maybe the air drag on the thill float is holding up a bit, plus I'm running 20 lb from the reel.

So why not spool up some super slick 8 by power pro #30lb stuff and you will be set for salmon and steelhead? On your spinning reel I'm saying.

C
CoastieFlo
Yes get some braid. 50lb is fine, 30lb would even work but its such a small diameter it cuts you real easy.

You can use pieces of braid for bobber stop knots (or fly line backing, dacron is good too).

So on your braid...bobber stop, little bead, big bead, bobber, big bead, little bead, bobber stop.....swivel, leader, hook.

Hook some snaps (ie swivel snaps) on 1-2 oz cannon balls. Snap one on swivel. You very rarely will use more than 1 oz unless fishing some hella deep holes (ie 20-30 ft).

Dont make it more complicated, its not. Good luck :)

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
I'll buy you a beer the day you hook and land your next coastal nook on 8 pound line

I'm a big fan of Bridgeport IPA.

I did break one OFF later (but that wasn't my "next" Chinook), but the 8# I'm running has been on my reel for probably 2 years, and has deteriorated to junk. Kinda bummed me out, since it seemed fine last time I used it.

Like Native Fisher said, show me the nook I can't make a fool out of with 12#.

As to the question "why" -- because you hook WAAAAAYYYYYYY more fish (I don't bobber fish, or rarely). While a few spit the hook, and a few were long-line-released (with the junk 8#, I was pretty shy with the hooksets, but that line will be replaced before I go again), I seriously doubt anyone else on the river hooked 14 fish today (not legally anyway).

But since the higher water is here to stay for a while, I'll respool with 10#, most likely.

Brought that "next" nook in in very heavy current after hooking it a long way from me. On a 7' medium rod (with a broken tip, no less -- guess I'm getting new line and a new rod).

And in my time, I've caught several 30+ in heavy current on 8#. I generally prefer 10# if the water is higher and there's lots of current (keeps my hardware bill down a bit), and 8# if the water is lower.

And they all get landed without a net (which gets dicey if I'm not on a gravel bank, but I'll find a spot).

But I did jinx myself with my post, and a drag that was a hair too tight (nice job, greenhorn, but I hadn't moved it, must have bumped it holding the rod in my armpit for a second, or some such thing) did result in my first busted-OFF nook in quite a while. Was a big sucker, too.

D
DirectDrive
troutmasta said:
I use a 2 or 3 oz bobber with a 2 or 3 oz weight when fishing the coast. If you can't cast that....well.....
Good answer ^^^

Forget that spinning reel, man up and put that C4 into action.
Then when you find yourself in a slugfest with Mr. Big you will have the proper gear.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:

Dang,
That pic does it justice-
Heavy current, 2 year old 8 pound line that was "deteriorated to junk", no net...they must breed em smaller there cuz up here thats not happening and your not landing 13/14 doing it either-
Next time we hook up Ill watch you do it then buy you a six pack (any IPA besides Bridgeport or Ninkasi).

U
upperroguepirate
Im hearing you guys, and I do have a C4. I"ve been using it all fall and it's a beauty in blue. Left handed. I don't want to take off the maxima that's on my small flueger president spin reel. I don't like the idea of using braid from the bank for the simple reason there are not many holes that allow bank access and if i'm fishing a spot where there isn't much room to fight if a coastal king books it down river then he'll spool me and or it's just too risky, break the rod just to keep it from going another 50 yds. tighting down the drag yes, will pull the hook but if I get spooled then i'm out of about 15 bucks of braid and it's in the river. Not good. Now fishing from a boat is one thing....u can go with the flow.

I've chased many kings in my younger years. don't want to kill myself doing it on this river. i'll use my C4 and those 1 oz cannon balls and i'm good to go on 20 lb. I could buy myself another spinning reel for them big bright silver coastal kings

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
Dang,
That pic does it justice-
Heavy current, 2 year old 8 pound line that was "deteriorated to junk", no net...they must breed em smaller there cuz up here thats not happening and your not landing 13/14 doing it either

You got me -- I made up an elaborate story to impress people I've never met.

And I never said I landed 13 -- I landed 4 (plus a cuttie). Ridiculous number of spit hooks (crappy line = crappy hooksets, I guess).

And I don't think they breed them any smaller on the Wilson or Trask. The one I did break OFF (first in a long time) was a beast (that came out of the water, facing away from me while I set the hook).

I can provide an eyewitness for today if I felt the need, and could provide a whole bundle of them over the years.

And you can keep your beer.

I don't fish the way I do to impress anybody, I do it because I enjoy it, and generally hook more fish than the Average Joe.

D
DirectDrive
upperroguepirate said:
Im hearing you guys, and I do have a C4. I"ve been using it all fall and it's a beauty in blue. Left handed. I don't want to take off the maxima that's on my small flueger president spin reel. I don't like the idea of using braid from the bank for the simple reason there are not many holes that allow bank access and if i'm fishing a spot where there isn't much room to fight if a coastal king books it down river then he'll spool me and or it's just too risky, break the rod just to keep it from going another 50 yds. tighting down the drag yes, will pull the hook but if I get spooled then i'm out of about 15 bucks of braid and it's in the river. Not good. Now fishing from a boat is one thing....u can go with the flow.
Sounds like you're all worked up about a problem that may or may not exist and it's driving your decisions.
Chinook will often stay out in front of you and just auger in.....sulk.....then you just keep the pressure on and avoid mistakes.....like waving your rod tip around.
This will aggravate a head shake or a run.....keep the rod tip as "quiet" as possible.

I don't see a problem with using braid although I have used Maxima Chameleon 25# on my Ambassadeur-powered Chinook rigs since Day One.
I've never been broken off, although I've had it "singing" a few times....fun times.

I could buy myself another spinning reel for them big bright silver coastal kings
Just stop it.

U
upperroguepirate
DD, I lived in Vancouver for a bit. I was over by sportsmans whse. I forgot the name of that area. Thanks for the reminder of how kings react. I've noticed the same thing over the years and I have kept many kings in the hole but it only takes one bad move like you said and i'm just not up for it. So, my 12 lb test ? is answered. I spooled up with power pro before when I lived on the Columbia in 2011. Thanks for the braid tips. it gives me something to think about. I've always used mono, and up until that time, I mostly fly fished for my silvers and kings from shore.

U
upperroguepirate
the spinning reel I have is too small for the nooks. it can be done but it's for steelies. 6935 president :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
The correct set up for bobber fishing from the bank is 12 pound main line and 25 pound leader. Especially if you're fishing the expensive bobbers. I love finding those things while I'm floating. I haven't bought a thill or beau Mac in years.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
Great advice! Thanks for the input [emoji38]

jamisonace
jamisonace
You can always substitute the 12 pound leader for 2 year old 8 pound leader if you expect to get into anything big.

troutmasta said:
Great advice! Thanks for the input [emoji38]

T
troutmasta
[emoji23]

U
upperroguepirate
jamisonace said:
The correct set up for bobber fishing from the bank is 12 pound main line and 25 pound leader. Especially if you're fishing the expensive bobbers. I love finding those things while I'm floating. I haven't bought a thill or beau Mac in years.

yea right! rudeness only points the mirror back into your face. so u start out with 12 lb test, blow it out your *** ****

Last edited by a moderator:
U
upperroguepirate
troutmasta said:
[emoji23]

yeah so funny isn't it top mod. nothing but punks on this site so if ya want keep it to just a holes on the forum only, go ahead. don't need this horse **** site with jerks like you two. think about it

U
upperroguepirate
jamisonace said:
You can always substitute the 12 pound leader for 2 year old 8 pound leader if you expect to get into anything big.

like I said go **** yourself rude *** punk

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You now have a week to calm down and reflect on why you feel the need to rant at someone who was only trying to help by offering advice. It is my hope that you will return to the forum and become a contributing member who is willing to share and listen to others as well.

T
troutmasta
Raincatcher said:
reflect on why you feel the need to rant at someone who was only trying to help by offering advice.
No kidding.
I even drew a picture of a bobber setup for him. Wow.

Reactions: JeannaJigs