Fly recommendations for upper Nestucca?

F
frontierhistorian
I plan to try my hand on the Nestucca below Elk Creek soon. I'm still a novice fly fisher, so I welcome any suggestions for fly patterns or techniques. Mostly trout, as I'm using a 5 wgt rod, but I welcome Steelhead suggestions, too.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Elk Creek, Black or Red, San Juan worm. Red for clear water, Black for da,rk water. Make sure that the black worm has a brass neck. Tony 10%er

Last edited:
Reactions: frontierhistorian
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I have never fished the nestucca for trout but I have fished several other streams nearby. I did well with green rock worms and small copper John flies. When the time after warms I like to use size 14 and 16 stimulators with a dropper to a size 18 or 20 green rockworm

C_Run
C_Run
I don't know about the flies but that area is one of my favorite winter steelheading beats. I always run into a fat trout or two when I go. Good luck.

Diehard
Diehard
I would recommend a trout sinking nymph maybe in a brown with a brass head just out of curiosity is that road finally open it was closed a couple yrs ago just before you get to elk crk for road work

F
frontierhistorian
Thanks, all!

Yes, the road is now open -- the gravel portion has been paved, making it the best piece of the whole stretch.

I tried various nymphs including a Copper John, in various configurations including dropping off a stimulator, indicator, and one or two other dry flies. I didn't have any red or black worms or green rock worms. After a few hours I final got a strike (more than one, maybe by the same fish, on the stimulator), but I didn't hook anything.

While eating lunch, I cast a few live worms with my spinning reel and got nothing, so I thought I'd through a couple lures before getting back to fly fishing. Although I never seem to have any luck with lures, I hooked a nice trout on the first cast. Had him within inches of shore before he slipped the hook. At least 10" but couldn't tell if it was a cutthroat or rainbow.

Hope to get out there again soon and get some more practice in.

Reactions: Diehard, Admin, DOKF and 1 other person
Diehard
Diehard
Sounds like you threw everything at them you could jump to the other side of the mountain if its open and fish the n. Fork trask river that area your fishing is quite possibly fish out good luck and if you fish the aforementioned river check your reg but I've seen some dandy trout in there đź‘Ť

Casting Call
Casting Call
The Trask is a hatchery lane! GL Tony 10%er

C
Cooper
Diehard said:
I would recommend a trout sinking nymph maybe in a brown with a brass head just out of curiosity is that road finally open it was closed a couple yrs ago just before you get to elk crk for road work
Bible Creek road was open at last report

Reactions: Diehard
C
Cooper
How accessible is the Nestucca below Elk Creek? I'm a disabled vet and have trouble walking. What would be the bare essentials for my kit bag?
Where does one purchase these items?