Tualatin River mystery fish......

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Hey guys,

So my dad called me today and was asking questions about a fish he saw jump near the pump tower for the golf course across from the boat launch at cooks park in Tigard today. This is a lazy section of the Tualatin River that I have fished for bass before with some success. I too have seen these mystery fish jump. They are always large and chrome! What are they? Possible coho sightings? I would think if it were, they would be darker by the time they arrive there if at all this year? Bottom line is, I would like to get one on my line, so how would a guy go about that? Should I go cast a chartreuse spinner and see what happens or float some row or a pink shrimp? Or both? I know. This probably seems like a waste of time to many but I go goof around there during the week in between bigger more meaningful weekend fishing trips.

Thoughts? Fun to discuss and wonder either way right?:D

Cheers,

Chris

B
bubs
I plan on posting a lengthier report in the next couple days on my explorations of the Tualatin the past couple weeks, but for now...yes, those are coho! And no, they aren't all dark depending on where you catch them in the river. In fact, all of the coho I have closely encountered there this fall have been surprisingly bright. I would guess they finally start to darken as they get up to their spawning grounds in Gales Creek and other tribs/headwaters.

What to use depends on the spot you're fishing since the river can be fast cold riffles to deep slow jungle river, and everything in between. I've been concentrating on a deep slow hole in the jungly sections of the Tualatin, and have been getting all my action on spoons (green, silver, and pink). But, have only tried hardware, so can't say what bait would do if fished in the appropriate place. More to come in my report...

PS best bet would probably be before any more rain comes...gets muddy and full of leaves (at least where I'm fishing) pretty fast...remember only fishable through the 31st!

S
sapo
Ya probably coho! Bubs, I'm curious...sent u a pm.

P
pinstriper
Ya I think fish turn not based on how far they are from the ocean, but on how close they are to their spawning destination.

B
bubs
On a scale from boot to chromer, the two I've taken this year from the mid-lower Tualatin had meat with the following properties: great color, OK to good texture, OK to good flavor, but admittedly not much fat left = they've been through a long journey but they're definitely not turning zombie just yet.

Ooops what I meant to say was, there's no salmon in Tualatin, go fish the Trask ;)

J
JeannaJigs
Willamette trib hos remain remarkably bright in color for a good amount of time, they spawn later than their coastal friends, typically.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
JeannaJigs said:
Willamette trib hos remain remarkably bright in color for a good amount of time, they spawn later than their coastal friends, typically.

Probably true as a general rule, except for that one big Willamette tributary that enters below the Falls, where they turn to boots seemingly overnight.

J
JeannaJigs
I only fish above the falls so wouldn't know about that trib, but the hos that come over the falls are some of the best quality fish I've ever caught.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

D
DrTheopolis
The Clack is pretty hit or miss, depending on the year. Most years, like this one, the water stays very low until the first heavy rains (Clack has a very large drainage, once it gets low, it takes a ton of rain to get it back up... like the last couple of days). They keg up in the very warm Willy, and go up into the lower holes and hide. By the time they start heading upstream (and through the snaggers at the Bowling Alley and the other snagger-hangouts), they're usually pretty dark. I've been away and haven't been fishing, but friends have caught tons of them, and they've all been boots.