Trying to get input on a rod

C
catchallthefish
any one tried the ugly stick big water fly rod?

H
halibuthitman
that is a spin cast blank built into a flyrod... junk

C
catchallthefish
is the blank to thick or thin? is the tapper not right? is it a different material?

Casting Call
Casting Call
The "flex" in a rod will tell you what type of conditions to use it in. Example: ocean spin rod needs to flex at mid rod to cast for distance with a weight: fly rod needs to flex mid to tip so as to transfer energy to the line to take the fly out to the water. Hope it makes some sence to you. Let us know how you do. You might think about putting some crab on the table for tomorrow. Went to Newport this am to crab, got three limits. Just finished eating two crabs. Solid sweetmeat. Give it a try. Its nice out today. xmas to all. Tony

C
catchallthefish
i realy dont catch crab i don't eat it Anny more after last time i got supper sick off the crab we cuaght so i haven't been in a while or prolly ever will lol

H
halibuthitman
catchallthefish said:
is the blank to thick or thin? is the tapper not right? is it a different material?

The taper is wrong, and shakesperes double wall design requires you to overline it at least 2 line weights or always have a great deal of line in the air, but the rod is difficult to carry much line in the air with, it would cause you to possibly form some bad habits that are difficult to break. It would also take about a 10 or eleven ounce reel to balance it well, most reels made today that weight that much start around $300.. Quite an investment for a $60 rod- there are quite a few 9-10 weight rod packages that show up on craigslist in the $150 range.. Its a good option-

F
FNG IN AK
Not to mention that it's h-e-a-v-y! Used an 8wt for two years to flip for sockeye on the Kenai . Even with just that little "flip", over-n-over, it wore me out after 90 minutes or so. Can't imagine actually trying to perform overhead casts for more than a very short while. It's like waving a telephone pole. On the other hand, it's good at managing drift and it's pretty-much indestructible. (And it's a good anaerobic upper-body workout.) Like Halibut said -- plenty of good, new and used 8-10wt sticks out there.