Trout fishing on Crooked arm

F
fishOregon
So me and my brother and his wife were gonna go fishing on the crooked river arm around march. I have never benn there before was thinking about going for bulltrout. Are there any camp grounds near the arm and is this a good time to go for bulltrout and trout in genreal. we will be bank fishing. Any tips or information is appriciated .

Thanks and tight lines - Mitch
sorry for my poor spelling lol :lol:

S
spmpdr
fishOregon said:
So me and my brother and his wife were gonna go fishing on the crooked river arm around march. I have never benn there before was thinking about going for bulltrout. Are there any camp grounds near the arm and is this a good time to go for bulltrout and trout in genreal. we will be bank fishing. Any tips or information is appriciated .

Thanks and tight lines - Mitch
sorry for my poor spelling lol :lol:

Not sure where the arm of crooked river you speak of is ??? To the best of my knowledge the crooked river doesn't have bull trout in it... only rainbows and whitefish. Please correct me if im wrong . There are tons of campgrounds near below the dam just outside of prineville which also happens to be the best stretch of the crooked to fish and that is a great time of year to fish .Hope this info is helpful.

brandon4455
brandon4455
spmpdr said:
Not sure where the arm of crooked river you speak of is ??? To the best of my knowledge the crooked river doesn't have bull trout in it... only rainbows and whitefish. Please correct me if im wrong . There are tons of campgrounds near below the dam just outside of prineville which also happens to be the best stretch of the crooked to fish and that is a great time of year to fish .Hope this info is helpful.

he's talking about the crooked river arm of lake billy chinook i think. @fishoregon. if you plan on targeting bull trout remember to handle them with care and use single barbless hooks! i don't know anything about that area though im sure someone does, if you are talking about the actual crooked river spmpdr is correct,the crooked river contains whitefish and redsides,great place to fly fish. BWO's and midges should provide some action and if nothing is happening on the surface nymphing a heavy attractor with a zebra midge or pheasant tail in size 18 dropped 18 inches off it should do the trick for sure.

F
FlyBum
Look in the Regulations about Lake Billy Chinook. You need a tribal permit to fish the Metolius arm, however in the balance of the reservoir 1 bull trout per day may be retained with a minimum length of 24 inches. I wouldn't suggest keeping a bull trout though, I heard they taste like $hit. There isn't much access to the Crooked River arm of the lake unless by boat. You can access the arm near Opal Springs but I've never been down there so I wouldn't know how the fishing is near there. Ask Sinkline (Randy) he may have some info about fishing that lake??

F
fish4life
I second what flybum said about bull trout kept one once, never again. If you run your boat as far as can up the crooked river arm of Lake Billy Chinook there use to be some really nice trout up there but then again its been like ten years since I've been up there.

S
spmpdr
I've accessed the crooked near the opal springs area fly bum spoke of , long hike down into the canyon to fish , decent fishing access . I guess you could pack in and camp along the river somewhere. Tough hike out even for me and im in really good shape. I wouldnt do it again in one day only if i was going to camp there. I dont how the snake situation will be that time of year either . I went there in june of last year and saw 4 rattle snakes and heard probably 10. I would go with lake billy or head up to the crooked river near the dam for the best fishing. Just my 2 cents . On a side note , thanks again fly bum for the patterns you sent me , i hit the crooked with them yesterday and those rainbow warriors killed them!!!! I went 4/6 on the day !!!!

F
FlyBum
You bet! Those patterns work well in all the area's rivers :)