Any help with some salmon fishing? Read my desc:)

F
FishinMason
Hey guys! So I want to start off and say I'm 16 years old and I'm just getting into fishing. I don't know a lot about fishing. I have recently cought about 30+ trout in the last 6 trips at hagg lake trout is good and all but I think I want to step it up a little and move away from just sitting and throwing my salad shrimp in the water and waiting for a bite xD. So I thought what's better then trout? Salmon is amazing !! So I live in hillsboro oregon and I'm looking some ware decently close maybe an hour 1/2 max? I'm shore fishing my little nissan can't pull a boat lol. So if you know any of the good places to be right now and gear to use I would really love some help. Thanks so much guys!

Also I go to detroit lake a lot we camp there about 2 times a month so any rivers I can get some Salmon would be cool that's near detroit lake. No more then like 1 hour from there. Thanks so much.

E
eugene1
Welcome to the forum.

Not familiar with your area, but maybe think about fishing the Columbia river right now? There are also coho coming up the Willamette any day now.

B
Berg03
Welcome, honestly ur best bet is either go coastal (wilson or trask) or drive over the the clackamas. Find a pull out walk down to the river and start fishing. The more you go the better you will know the river

F
FishinMason
Berg03 said:
Welcome, honestly ur best bet is either go coastal (wilson or trask) or drive over the the clackamas. Find a pull out walk down to the river and start fishing. The more you go the better you will know the river
Ok cool. Trask seems pretty nice. Have you been there? Any spots you know of?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF!

You won't really find any Salmon fishing, near Detroit, this time of year. It's really a Spring Nook show.

But you could still likely tangle with, some late summer steel! Try the stretch above Marion Forks...especially if you've got a bug wand, to wave.

B
Big3d
I went to hospital hole on the trask the other day. Saw some rolling and more fish enter there by the day until the big rain sweeps em up and sends them into the main river. I caught nothing but saw much potential.

F
FishinMason
Big3d said:
I went to hospital hole on the trask the other day. Saw some rolling and more fish enter there by the day until the big rain sweeps em up and sends them into the main river. I caught nothing but saw much potential.
Have you ever cought anything there?

F
FishinMason
Ok also guys. I got some ideas where to go. What should I use and what should I do? Sit on the shore cast and real in? Over and over. No one in my family fishes... I'm try to teach my self lol. I spend hours on fishing fourms xD thanks guys.

S
sapo
Awesome that you're getting into fishing! At the Trask, esp. for Fall nooks, bobber and roe is good. I usually cast it slightly upstream, then open the bail and drift it downstream, then reel in and repeat. After 10-20 casts, I move to another spot.

If you're fishing spinners, I've talked to people with tons of experience and if the water is fast enough, drift them and reel slowly or twitch it to keep the blade moving. Drift spoons also. If the water's slow, cast and retrieve spinners.

B
Berg03
if going to the trask... bobber and eggs or sand shrimp. or you could cast spinners. Watch youtube on how to set everything up and where you should be casting.

F
FishinMason
Ok. Thank you so much guys [emoji28]

B
Big3d
Was my first time there. I have hivh hopes when I go next time around.

B
bagold53
I am not a fan of the hospital hole as it cost more than normal to get in and the water is 6 feet lower than the bank. With the Trask and Wilson being mostly a Tidewater show. might be worth it.

Along the Wilson I have already seen fresh salmon up to Mills Bridge, little guy was making a bed in the gravel. The lowest point on the Wilson that is bankable that I know of is the Ice shack, cost 3 dollars to park and fish but they have a decent hole there. next would be Sollie Smith. These are both affected by tide water.

B
Big3d
I was unaware you could fish at the ice shack, might be a better spot than hospital hole. I will try it next week if I can get out.

B
bagold53
Its not a bad hole, can be a little tricky working with the boats for the hole. My roommate caught his first nook out of it.

C
coyo7e
You're p close to the willy, columbia, and sauvie island, and a few other hot spots. I'd recommend googling for the rivers near you which you're willing to get to (ifish will have decades of posts about any water body you can find). You can def get some bites in the bay by tillamook as well.

L
Lurker
Keep your regs book handy! I don't think you can fish the Trask at and above the hatchery until sometime in October, and the locals aren't afraid to pull over and yell at you.. or worse. ;-)