Today won't ever be beat.

J
JeannaJigs
Today is a day I quite literally will never be able to forget. I could have chronic end stage alzheimer's and not know anything else, but I will remember this day.

It was my first springer trip of the year, and I made the great migration to the 503 in search of some chrome below the poo falls. I was hoping for greatness, but having not really fished in a while my expectations were low. Exceptionally low. Expecially with those crappy counts so far. Nonetheless, the day before I got into mad scientist mode in the kitchen and brined some herring with my own little mixture of what I would like to eat if I were a salmon, and went to bed. 430 this morning I got in my Jeep and made the 2 hour trip north, eager to get out of town and get on the water.

There were a ton of guide boats out but there wasn't a lot of action.

9:25, I got this little beauty. I'm used to upriver fish with decent-ish eggs, but this fish was fresh--eggs the size of fleas. She apparently had a tag in her so ODFW chopped off the top half of her head, leaving me the body and a lower jaw...not so pretty after that.

It was slow..so it was on to sturgeon.

I've never sturgeon fished. Ever. I had no clue what was involved or anything. I missed a ton of bites. I had no idea these things bit like gentle little trout. Caught a few small ones, I don't know how big, we will say 3 feet or so. They fought pretty good, and I was pretty impressed.

I think altogether we caught around 20 sturgeon, some small, some keeper size, though retention is closed so none left the water, and all were released.

I caught 4, and probably would have caught more...if I hadn't quit fishing.

I quit fishing because I hooked a beast. A freaking monster. I knew sturgeon got big, but other people catch those, I'm not supposed to. We estimate this inland shark to be in the 8 foot area. It was absolutely massive. It's head was huge. I was not prepared for what happened when I set the hook. At all. Almost went over, and as soon as i regained my balance, realized i was in a "holy S! it's big, what now?" situation. I don't know how long it took, it seemed like an eternity. It tried to beat me, with everything it had, and it almost did, but i wasn't going to hand it off. I just wanted to get it in so I could get rid of it, and then reflect with the "HOLY S's" afterwords. So I did. Oversize sturgeon are not for wimps with back problems. I am suffering, but it's the best kind of suffering EVER.

I am high as a kite, on the most memorable fishing day of my life.

Thanks to Jay and his dad for letting me bum along.

There is video somewhere of this epic beast...I think. LOL. coming soon to an OFF thread near you.

Raincatcher
Hot Damn!! :shock: Good for you Jeanna! That's your reward for the d-bag on the way up there.:clap::dance:

brandon4455
:clap: :clap: :clap: i did the same thing last year, went below the falls for salmon with a friend then we did sturgeon and i almost **** my pants after i caught one of those dinosaurs. nicely done jig

J
JeannaJigs
Hot Damn!! :shock: Good for you Jeanna! That's your reward for the d-bag on the way up there.:clap::dance:

Oh yes...I completely forgot about that special character that made my commute suck the life out of me...I don't even care now lol.

O
OnTheFly
Glad you got to do that Jeanna and more glad the bite was on for you as well. Can't wait for the video of the oversize.

B
billfisher
Chrome and dino's, doesn't get better than that! :clap:
Waiting for video!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
S
Santiam338
Those tanks in the first picture...Seems I trolled by those a few times yesterday..

Congrats on a great trip..I like it there also..Never stopped to try the sturgeon...Those dang salmon ya know...They call to me..:lol:

A
alm21
That's awesome, congrats and good healing from your battle!

E
eugene1
Very nice fish and great writing! Glad you got into them up there,

J
JeannaJigs
Thanks. It was a great day. I'm off to wickiup the next three days. My arms are dead, rowing all over that lake doesn't appeal like it did lol. Bbq'd salmon, it's what's for dinner at camp.

Its kinda creepy that there are things that large swimming around I'm fresh water. Thank god they are toothless

Last edited:
E
eugene1
forgot to ask if any of your boat-mates got into the Springers as well, or were you the only lucky one?

Later,

J
JeannaJigs
It was only the one springer to the boat, and I feel bad about it. It's always a bummer when only one fish is tagged. Everyone got sturgeon though.

E
eugene1
Well, for me even one landed is a great day, plus you got to feel those monsters on your line too!

It's all good.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Thanks for the photo's... love those kinds of days...can't beat being in the boat.

F
Finneus Polebender
Nice day for sure ,one to remember !

L
lilsalmon
Good job Jeanna!!! I just got home from work...I am over the fact that you texted me the pretty springer as I was getting ready to go to work....and then on my break you tell me you got an 8 footer....good job Homie!!!!!! My 3 foot I got by accident was quite a fight.....yours fer sure was epic.

W
wozniasm
Outstanding JJ! Glad to hear you had an epic day!

B
bigsteel
great job jeanna,have a good trip at wickiup

bass
Fantastic job Jeanna!! Looks like the salmon consider you a gourmet Also, great job on the sturgeon, especially the monster. I love catching those things. It still blows my mind to think of the size of some of the fish in our rivers. Thank goodness they have not developed a taste for human flesh - yet