Things you have hooked besides for fish

F
fishtales
I first noticed them as they where coming down stream thinking they where fish jumping out of the water. The sound was similar to heavy breathing but actually kinda more like an up set cat or a cornered possum. I was kinda freeking out that I had hooked one even though I was not casting my lure (old chipped pink #3 blue fox) in their direction. I was barley realing when the fish took it. I was wathcing the nutria thing. The fish took a bunch of line down steam and got tangled in some brush and that was when I saw it was a salmon. I actually have a burn on my palm from where I tried to slow the line down when I panniced (could not remember which way to turn the drag so i used my hand to slow the line lol).

B
bigdog
fishtales said:
(could not remember which way to turn the drag so i used my hand to slow the line lol).

When I use my spinner reel I never play with the drag. I leave it somewhat loose and then will use my hand to control the drag but not on the line itself use the your hand on the spool.

F
fishtales
Thanks I will have to remember that. Good tip!

I have been catching a lot of leaves too. A good rain should clear that up though.

T
tnffishman
I once hooked a Sea Lion crabbing with the castable traps from the garibaldi fishing pier. I was using salmon as bait and watched my rod almost get jerked into the water I grabbed it, loosened the drag and it took off. I thought for sure it was a shark. Believe it or not I actually tired it out and was so dissapointed to see that huge beast laying on it's back in the bay. One of my loops was right around it's tooth

S
steelhead_slayer
a sea horse. actually a toy one

M
Modest_Man
halibuthitman said:
this can't be beat.. and I have caught a lot of crap..

Well you see, I have this list of dead things I poked with a stick so it really helped me out to check that one off.

I've got bald eagle, sea otter, beaver...not to mention the more common animals like deer and coyote.

F
fishnquest
When we were about 11-12, bank fishing for stripers, my brother hooked me right in the nose on the cast. Anchovie bait and all.

F
fishingfreak
fishnquest said:
When we were about 11-12, bank fishing for stripers, my brother hooked me right in the nose on the cast. Anchovie bait and all.

Ouch! That had to be painfull. Did he give it a good couple tugs?

F
fishnquest
fishingfreak said:
Ouch! That had to be painfull. Did he give it a good couple tugs?

If I remember correctly, he was laughing so hard he dropped his pole. Grandpa just worked the hook back out of my nose. It went from inside the nostril to the outside, but fortunately the barb did not go through so he was able to back the hook out. It wasn't funny then but it is in hindsight.

G
GDBrown
Modest_Man said:
Well you see, I have this list of dead things I poked with a stick so it really helped me out to check that one off.

I've got bald eagle, sea otter, beaver...not to mention the more common animals like deer and coyote.

You hook those with a hook line and sinker???

B
boomstick
I feel like I'm a profession sock fisherman. In one week trying to catch salmon I caught a large sock and a pink pair of girl socks. Yes, an actual pair of pink socks that I was fighting. My wife was laughing so hard I was tempted make a trophy out of them <sarcasm>. I'm still waiting to land my first salmon and/or steelhead.

G
GDBrown
boomstick said:
...... I'm still waiting to land my first salmon and/or steelhead.

You and me and a thousand others. I've decided that I will spare not expense when it comes to bait this year. A jar of good eggs is cheaper than a tank of gas..... I burn at least half a tank for every trip to the coast.

This comment really doesn't fit with my fly fishing theme does it!

GD

brandon4455
brandon4455
seals make that noise when they surface. it gets annoying. a guy hit a seal on the head with a spinner omce cause it made him angry lol

brandon4455
brandon4455
i was fishing at the salmon river under the 101 bridge 2 years ago and i had just landed a hatchery coho i made a cast and about mintue later my rod kept bending so i set the hook. thought it was a pogy so i reeled it up. there was a crab with the tip of it's claw stuck in the bead between my weight and my swivel. my dad laughed his butt off about it.

R
rippin fish lips
I have hooked a rug about 20 feet long by 10 feet wide, fought it was like a salmon. hooked a ball of tangled up line that had about 4 spinners in it, plastic bags that made it in the trash after i hooked them, a bear can, some rope, a wallet which i couldnt tell whos it was cuz it was in the river for a while. i even lost a lure one day and a few casts later hooked it and got it back!

B
beaverfan
About 3 weeks ago on the Wilson I felt a slight tug on my line reeled it in and I had caught a line attatched to a 1oz weight with about 2 foot leader that went to a hook embedded in the mouth of about 13 -14 inch hatchery steelhead smolt. Fish was really feisty and didn't seem like it had been hooked too long, so I gently removed the hook and sent him on his way. Of course before he left I made sure and let him know to tell all his buddies about my kindness.

S
skunk
One seagull, and....my brother. He was not happy, I on the other hand couldn't stop laughing.

B
bigsteel
beaverfan said:
About 3 weeks ago on the Wilson I felt a slight tug on my line reeled it in and I had caught a line attatched to a 1oz weight with about 2 foot leader that went to a hook embedded in the mouth of about 13 -14 inch hatchery steelhead smolt. Fish was really feisty and didn't seem like it had been hooked too long, so I gently removed the hook and sent him on his way. Of course before he left I made sure and let him know to tell all his buddies about my kindness.

i remember that day

T
Thuggin4Life
I caught a brand new blue fox trolling the other day. one time i caught a unopened beer on the mackenzie with my bare hands while trout fishing. i was bummed up in the slack water up against the log i was standing on.

O
OnTheFly
Thuggin4Life said:
I caught a brand new blue fox trolling the other day. one time i caught a unopened beer on the mackenzie with my bare hands while trout fishing. i was bummed up in the slack water up against the log i was standing on.

Similar thing happened to me too. Summer of 09 I'm fishing from a pontoon boat on Detroit Reservoir where the South Santiam dumps in. Mid afternoon, it's was hot, my throat was parched, and all I could think about was how good a cold beer would be. No sooner had that thought crossed my mind when I looked down and found an unopened Coors Light floating beside me. I promptly scooped it up with my net, cracked it open and killed it. And it was as cold as the Santiam!