The proverbial 'how to do it' question

N
noladude
Hi, all

Great pics from the weekend opener. Has me anxious to get out to the lake. Here's the deal, tho. As a transplanted mid-western bass fisherman, I'm having a really tough time to switching over to catching trout. I'll get one occasionally on a rooster tail or kastmaster, but that's about it. So, in the hopes of starting to consistently catch some, what set ups do you all use for bank fishing? (I usually am in a canoe, but won't launch until the water warms up some)

I'm looking to get as specific as I can here, for all the parts of the rig:

Pole length, line test, rigging the end of the line (sinker type, placement, hook), and powerbait (looks like chartreuse is a consistent winner) and scent.

As always, your collective knowledge is appreciated. And, my 14yr-old appreciates it as well. He's beginning to think that trout are mythical creatures I keep telling him about.

Scott

W
wozniasm
As far as from bank, I use your basic light to mid rod with a slip sinker above the swivel and about a 2 1/2 to 3 foot leader with powerbait on it.
Rainbow and charteuse work the best for me.
Now these Berkely power eggs are getting a lot of use lately but haven't used them much.

When you use your canoe later, a wedding ring setup with a bit of nightcrawler works well. I also use a snubber on this rigging. Go low and slow - try a couple of paddles then stop for several seconds.

troutdude
troutdude
LOL There is NO doubt that they are mythical creatures! However, there ARE some tried n' true methods to catching such beasts...other than a mace or sword!

Personally, in regards to gear, I use 5.5' to 6.5' ultralight spinning rods. For main line, I use 6 lb. test monofiliment line. Then, I use a 4 pound leader. However, for newbs I'd suggest 6.5' to 7.5' light action (not ultralight). Plus, I'd suggest--at this time of year--8 lb. main line and 6 lb. leader. Then once you become more accomplished, and have some success, you can "graduate" down to the lighter lines and rods.

Tight lines,

TD

W
wozniasm
Since your in Beaverton, Commonwealth Lake would be close to you. Keep checking the stocking schedule! Should be stocking the week of the 11th.

troutdude
troutdude
wozniasm said:
When you use your canoe later, a wedding ring setup with a bit of nightcrawler works well. I also use a snubber on this rigging. Go low and slow - try a couple of paddles then stop for several seconds.

Ditto. A 12 pounder was caught yesterday, with a Pink wedding ring, pink blade, and a pink dodger/flasher in front of it.

Also...don't hesitate to try flingin' n' retrievin; a spoon too. My fav's are Little Cleo's, Red/White Dardevle's, etc. And a spoon like a Luhr Jensen Krocodile has worked well there for decades (and nabbed the 11 pounder in my pics, about my trip there yesterday). If you cast 'em from shore...use larger ones (3/4, 3/8, 1/2 ounce sizes). And like WOZ mentioned...retrieve 'em LOW n' SLOW. They'll mostly get hit on a drop.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I suggest all the tactics these men are suggesting. If I was you I'd use an ultra light pole with 4-6 lb test. Makes smaller fish fight better and bigger fish fight like hell :D

G
grampa ron
I suggest learning how to fly fish, especially from your canoe. You will probly end up catching more trout and having more fun. You could also fly fish for bass.

troutdude
troutdude
Great idea Ron; and you don't need a fly rod if you don't have one. I'd be happy, to make some suggestions if you only have spinning rods/reels.

N
noladude
Very cool suggestions. As I'm looking through these, I suspect the biggest thing to change from what I've been doing is to add a leader. So the rigging would go something like this:

My line > slip sinker > swivel > 2' to 3' leader > hook

How heavy of a slip sinker? And, what sized hook tends to work best? sc

troutdude
troutdude
noladude said:
Very cool suggestions. As I'm looking through these, I suspect the biggest thing to change from what I've been doing is to add a leader. So the rigging would go something like this:

My line > slip sinker > swivel > 2' to 3' leader > hook

How heavy of a slip sinker? And, what sized hook tends to work best? sc

Yes, that is rigging: except that I put a small bead on the main line; between the slip sinker and the swivel.

I was using 1/2 and 3/4 ounce sinkers. Until last weekend, I used size 6 egg hooks. But, you need 3 power eggs for it to float. So, I switched to size 8 bait hooks, which require only 2 power eggs.

N
noladude
Odd, just tried to post and think it got lost. Hopefully this doesn't show up twice. I've been going way too light with the sinker, and combined with a shorter pole, probably haven't been getting anywhere close to trout water. Good call with the bead. Don't want to get the swivel and sinker stuck together. I'm gonna try to get out there this week sometime and see how it goes. Will report back with my ventures.

M
Masin
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned among all of these great suggestions is scent. I've found that be it with powerbait or power eggs, garlic kills at Hagg. My wife and I have also had luck with floating a worm with anise. Hope this helps. Good luck.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Agreed.

I developed a new mixture last summer; that also paid OFF last Saturday at Hagg.

Start out w/ 1/3 of bottle of Berkley's trout scent. Then, add Garlic, Shrimp, Salmon Egg oils and Anise. I use just a tad more of the garlic than the others. Then, I pour several drops into the bottles of my Power Eggs. I let them soak, for at least a week before a trip. It works well.

C
colbypearson
noladude said:
Hi, all

Great pics from the weekend opener. Has me anxious to get out to the lake. Here's the deal, tho. As a transplanted mid-western bass fisherman, I'm having a really tough time to switching over to catching trout. I'll get one occasionally on a rooster tail or kastmaster, but that's about it. So, in the hopes of starting to consistently catch some, what set ups do you all use for bank fishing? (I usually am in a canoe, but won't launch until the water warms up some)

I'm looking to get as specific as I can here, for all the parts of the rig:

Pole length, line test, rigging the end of the line (sinker type, placement, hook), and powerbait (looks like chartreuse is a consistent winner) and scent.

As always, your collective knowledge is appreciated. And, my 14yr-old appreciates it as well. He's beginning to think that trout are mythical creatures I keep telling him about.

Scott

Why would a displaced bass fisherman switch to trout? ;)

troutdude
troutdude
colbypearson said:
Why would a displaced bass fisherman switch to trout? ;)

Only an avid bass fisherman, would post that question. LOL But, if you hook up w/ Colby...he'll get you into some BIG bass!

Anyway...back to the thread at hand.

I'm planning to hit Hagg again; early this Saturday. If you'd like to connect up, and fish alongside, I'll be happy to help you and your son get into some trout. Just bring your gear, and some chairs.

N
noladude
Thanks, Troutdude. Thinking we're gonna make a trip out there on Monday when he doesn't have school. Be a good way to keep us out of trouble that day.

Colby, I'm thinkin' you just might have asked the $64k question :) We've hooked into some great smallmouth. I usually NEVER keep bass, but the first one Ben caught was a beauty and he was so excited I didn't have a choice. It was about 3lbs, on ultralight gear, and in the canoe. I still don't know how we didn't tip the thing over. He fought it till it got up to where he could see it and said, "I think you'd better do the rest."

ben_bass.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
You're very welcome.

Nice bass; and great smile!