The new park on the Alsea at mp7

G
Gary W
Just curious I used to live on the alsea and two or 3 years ago the state acquired the property for a new park and boat ramp because cozy cove went into private ownership and closed the ramp. Most of the lower ramps at the rv parks are high tide ramps only and the state bought this property to put a ramp in. Just curious if they have done that yet?

C_Run
C_Run
I had not heard of this but it would be great to have access up there again. I used Kozy Cove a few times the last year they operated and I had started kayak fishing the same season. It's too far to paddle from downstream, at least for me, anymore. I hope there will be a public ramp some day.

G
Gary W
There will be a ramp there if not now not too far off because that is why they purchased the property. I know one of the previous owners.

C_Run
C_Run
Wonderful. Is that down by the bridge at Tidewater?

G
Gary W
The new park is across from happy landing before you cross the bridge at the 7 mile marker.

C
Combat Chuck
No ramp... but a kayak could launch ;)

C_Run
C_Run
I'm going to scope that out pretty soon. I think I know the spot.

C_Run
C_Run
So, we did scope it out on our way back from the coast today and I snapped some pictures that kind of tell the story. Combat Chuck had it right^^. This is right at the bridge on the south side at Tidewater. There used to be some kind of private campsites there. There is no signage at the road but a few orange cones mark the entrance.

A2fVVNW.jpg

TThm2F0.jpg

aoMHiIx.jpg

There is no ramp yet but you could drag a kayak to the water easily. There is an old derelict dock with a no trespassing sign and remnants of the old campsites with wires and pipes sticking out of the ground. They have mowed the grass and sprayed Roundup over the parking areas and that is about it. The funky toilet was pretty clean and had paper. I hope that the county will have the resources to develop this site with ramp and parking etc.

I'll throw in observations of the fishing scene on the Alsea. I saw a grand total of two boats fishing tidewater from the road. Almost every hole along the road up to Five Rivers had cars parked. The water is real low. We stopped at The Ermie Walter ramp to look around and there were the usual old coho rolling in there. The maple leaves are very lovely right now.

OK. There you have it.

G
Gary W
Thanks that answered my question. I cannot believe they tore out the existing rv hook-ups there were 4 double 50 amp sites with water and the boat dock that is still there but the ramp is gone.

G
Gary W
I had to go to Newport today so stopped by the new county park (not State) I as suprised to see the 50 amp service panels for up to 8 rv's still intact. My friend was part owner in the property and the water was plumbed from a spring from the hill on the other side of the road. It probably is not approved so it is not up and running and because the power is turned off at this time. I hope they keep the power and water. They really need the boat ramp because Cozy Cove had the best access but the current owners do not open the ramp I assume if you launched a kayak it must have been from their dock that used to be the restaurant. Just a guess. Thanks for all the info and the photos. I cannot figure out why they posted 8.2 miles and at the 7 mp. It is not a mile and a half further to the jaws.

C_Run
C_Run
River miles vs. road miles maybe? That's a nice piece of property, a couple of acres it looks like. I hope they leave the big trees and fix it up properly. You don't need much room to launch a kayak if you can slog it to the water somehow.