Sturgeon bait

F
Fish Fight
catch me kate said:
Hey how was your weekend? Any good results?

I was shad fishing from out of my boat in Oregon City, below the Clack, there was a boat below me the was fishing for oversize. Heavy rods and whole shad. I seen two hook up's on big fish throughout the day. It's nothing like the Columbia but to just spend a relaxing day near home has it's own appeal.

T
Troutier Bassier
Lol, WOW!

The colombia is much Much more wild.

60-80 Foot holes, 100+inch Gators. Giant Birds!!!
God knows what someone will pull out of ther?

F
FishKiller23
Troutier Bassier said:
Lol, WOW!

The colombia is much Much more wild.

60-80 Foot holes, 100+inch Gators. Giant Birds!!!
God knows what someone will pull out of ther?

Yea CR is big water. But the willamette has some good holes. I know of a few holes that are 100+ FT on the willy... Oh and my buddy hooked into a big one yesterday off the bank... He tried adjusting the drag and his levelwind bird nested on him... Hes still new to fishing but I took over and I couldnt slow the fish down at all... Ended up snapin the line.

F
frodog
What kind of line and test just wondering I am using 80lb. tuff line because my buddy suggested it is this over kill?

T
The Nothing
I use 50 and feel even it is overkill. 30# is usually suitable.

F
Fish Fight
frodog said:
What kind of line and test just wondering I am using 80lb. tuff line because my buddy suggested it is this over kill?

Bank Rod or Boat Rod?

My boat rods are 80# tough line, I also use them for Halibut and Tuna. Sometimes and some places I will use my salmon bobber rods for sturgeon and they have 50# tough line. Sturgreon are not line shy. A lot of bank fishers use mono, 30# would be the max I would spool with. You can get more 20# mono on a reel and cast it better than you can the 30#.

H
halibuthitman
The Nothing said:
Sturgeon are, for all purposes of this thread, like giant catfish. If it is on the bottom of the river and it smells good, they'll eat it.

Now that I have a job again, I'm going to see if I can't pick up some scrap pieces of halibut, salmon, rockfish, cod, sablefish, sole, etc and see how they produce...

But if you've seen some of the stuff sturgeon have tried to eat, you'll see anything can work - like leftover gummy worms (seriously!)

mr nothing I actually have all of the baits you mentioned, sablefish salted and pickled is pretty darn good but pollock filets are the oil-candy nuggets for ANY bottom fish. I can give ya some if you would like, pm me. Good fishin-

F
frodog
Define bank rod or boat rod I have an IM8 9' xtra heavy action and a sturdy stick 6'6"that has 30# mono on it that I was using but never hooked up. I think the Im8 might be a little lite for the job it made a 37 3/4 in. fish feel like nessy. Sorry to hi-jack this thread but gear is related. lol

T
Troutier Bassier
Idk, Bank rods are just longer and the Good reels (That all of you should be using for bank) Have no levelwind so You can cast further and guide the line with your finger. It becomes second nature after a while.

And boat rods are shorter, Heavier, And have thicker line?????

T
The Nothing
I'd say neither rod would be a good sturgeon bank rod. The sturdy stick would be fine for boat fishing though. That 9' might be OK for the bank, but if anything I'd say it was too heavy. I use an 11' MH. I also use a spinning reel, so none of those casting problems and excuses for me.

I have seen small rods land big fish on the bank though.

That 37" should have been a halfway decent workout for you. This is big fish fishing, not the trout pond.

halibuthitman - thanks for the heads up on the pollack. I'll have to give that a try some time. I'm working in meat & seafood, so it should be hard to me find some scraps