Big waves, big bass!!

bass
bass
Most Featured
I hit the Columbia on Saturday the 18th out of Stevenson. The forecast was for a stiff East wind and the forecast did not disappoint! The day started out calm enough so I decided to try and hit some of my top-producing spots from the past few trips. Those spots were decidedly less hot than previous trips. I only caught a fish or two at best over the handful of spots that had been so good to me.

By the time I had finished those rounds the wind had picked up in earnest and I decided I should not venture too far from the ramp so that at least my body would not be hard to find :) Last winter I had found some small somethings in 25-45' of water not too far from the ramp. I decided to give those winter spots a try and the good news is that the bass were home!

I never had a lights out spot like I had on the previous trip but I was getting bit often enough to keep me out on the water. I think I could see my truck in the parking lot for every fish I caught. I probably never got more than 1/4 mile from the ramp and most of the time I was much closer than that.

Once again I did not have any luck up shallow, but at least I was smart enough not to spend as much time trying to make that happen. The best news was the quality of the fish. I ended up with 32 bass and I would say only a handful would have weighed less than a pound and a quarter. My best 5 went 14lb 6oz which is decent and 4 of the 5 were over 3lbs (3lb 1oz, 3lb 3oz and two that weighed 3lb 7oz). The baits of the day were the Ned rig, drop shot and I went old school and broke out the Carolina rig!!

I think a lot of my success I can trace back to tying a CR on my new rod and reel. The past few trips I had a big swimbait tied on that rod and had received a few bites but had not caught a fish on the new combo (Dobyns 704 and Curado 200DC). I started the day with the swimbait on but once the wind and waves picked up I thought, "I bet a Carolina rig might work well for fishing while I am bouncing around like a pinball".

I rigged up the CR and quickly hooked a good-sized fish that I lost after a few seconds. I was desperate to get the curse off the new rod and reel!! I kept that CR in my hand and a little bit later I hooked another good fish! I was totally stoked when I slipped my net under a 3lb 7oz beauty! That's the way to break in a new rod and reel!! I have to say I was heaving that CR into a very stiff wind and the DC kept me backlash free all day long.

While I was fishing it I kept humming "In my mind I'm going to Carolina (rig)..." I am sure James Taylor would have been impressed :)

After that I used the CR as my search bait and if I caught a fish or two off a spot I would follow up on that spot with the Ned or the drop shot. The CR allowed my to search quickly in 25-45' of water - especially in the wind and the waves. The Ned and drop shot were good to scratch out an extra fish or two that would not eat the CR.

Of course just to mock me a little bit the wind laid down at the end of the day as I was getting ready to leave. If I was not so worn out from fighting the wind all day I might have stayed a while longer but I decided I would just enjoy not have to load up in a gale.

Overall it was an awesome day on the water. Battling the elements to catch a lot of nice sized bass is always about as much fun as you can have and I caught some nice bass on my new rod!

Anyway, here are some pics of the 3lbers and the video from the day. Only disappointment is that when youtube compressed my video it pixelated a bunch of it. I promise there was nothing racy going on :)









 
  • Like
Reactions: FisherPete, Markk, fromthelogo and 1 other person
Back
Top Bottom