Steelhead fishing spot near Sunriver Resort?

S
spark
My family and my friend's family will stay near Sunriver Resort for 4 nights, and looking for fishing spot for steelhead/trout.

I found Fall River is near the resort, wonder what kind of fish I can try?
Could you share where I have to go for steelhead/trout fishing?
Crane Prairie Reservoir is another candidate but look for steelhead.

I'm a beginner of fly fishing, and used to use spinner all the time.
It would be perfect if my son can use try spinner and I can fly fishing there.

Or fly fishing only for steelhead/trout would be fine as well.
(Please don't forget what fly I have to use.!!)

Thank you,
spark

O
OnTheFly
Not much in the way of steelhead that I know of anyway, but the abundance of trout is everywhere. East Lake and neighboring Paulina, Big Lava, Little lava, Hosmer, and Craine. Fish the streams between Lava and Craine or Craine and Wickiup. And NEVER NEVER go on a fishing trip in the Bend area without going to the Fall River:naughty: (read the regs)
You can get all the fishing info and fly selection from the Sunriver fly shop in the mall.

Reactions: wozniasm
S
spark
Thank you for the information. This is the first time to fish there so will explore as much as possible. Saw a couple of videos on youtube, I can't wait. I won't forget to stop by fly shop.

S
Sage27
A little further drive but another option is the Crooked River. But I would start with the Fall River like OnTheFly suggested.

S
steelhead_slayer
There is a lot of lake full of trout close to sunriver. South twin has been reported to be fishing well. Odfw has an easy angling page which has an list of places that should get you into some fish. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/easy_angling/docs/EasyAnglingCentralOregon.pdf

You mentioned fall river which is fly only so if your son wants to throw spinners that wouldn't be an option. Right now steelhead are not really worth targeting.