Springer/summer fish Eugene area

F
FishLife89
Hey Guys!

Haven't been on here in a while, apologize about that! Hope everyone is well and catching some fish. I am going to be in Eugene this upcoming weekend and haven't fished there in a few years. I would say I am not a beginner, but wanted to know if anyone is getting into them on the McKenzie or the in town run on the willy. Things up here in the Portland area have been pretty good. Not looking for anyone's special spot, but if anyone has any insight on the area that has been producing or simply wants to get out with me for an evening fish on Saturday, 5/23, or early afternoon, please let me know! Debating on bringing the rods or not.

Thanks!
Cam

Y
Yogidabear
the willy and Mac have both been producing fish .

jamisonace
jamisonace
Not lately. It's weird but it has totally died after being pretty good for about a week. I'm going to try again this weekend but all the reports I've got are dismal so I haven't bothered.

Yogidabear said:
the willy and Mac have both been producing fish .

F
FishLife89
Thanks guys! Appreciate it. I will either get out early and battle the dexter crowd, or go up below leaburg and try my luck! Let me know if anyone is going to be out there. Really want to get a Springer, but some summer steel would be nice as well!

Thanks!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Good luck with summers. It doesn't look like we will get a run this year. I would hardly care except it's going to turn some of the steelheaders into salmon fisherman this year.

F
FishLife89
jamisonace said:
Good luck with summers. It doesn't look like we will get a run this year. I would hardly care except it's going to turn some of the steelheaders into salmon fisherman this year.

Thanks Jamisonace, I was reading the same thing about the springer run on the Mckenzie. Oh well, the point of the trip is to go visit old friends, fishing is just a bonus! Are the rivers getting a lot of pressure? I know the middle fork willamette is always a S*** show, but the Mckenzie has a lot of beautiful spots!

Thanks!

F
FishLife89
anybody possible know how the greenwood area is doing on the Mckenzie???

C
cobias
We hit the willy last monday looking for springers , pengra to jasper. didn't see or touch one springer but much to our surprise a nice summer attacked my buddies spinner about 10 feet from the boat . It was a big bright buck but it had other plans. Ran under the boat and the line broke on the bottom edge of the boat. With all the springers over the dam im surprised we werent seeing them roll all over the place. Saw some roll the previous monday doing a town run . And i think steelies hold back when the chinook are flying over in big numbers. Steelhead might show late if they dont die in the warm water.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I hear you about the springers. I wonder if they all went up the santiam. I hear it's been really hot over there.

F
FishLife89
cobias said:
We hit the willy last monday looking for springers , pengra to jasper. didn't see or touch one springer but much to our surprise a nice summer attacked my buddies spinner about 10 feet from the boat . It was a big bright buck but it had other plans. Ran under the boat and the line broke on the bottom edge of the boat. With all the springers over the dam im surprised we werent seeing them roll all over the place. Saw some roll the previous monday doing a town run . And i think steelies hold back when the chinook are flying over in big numbers. Steelhead might show late if they dont die in the warm water.

Man, that is a bummer, but pretty sweet about the summer. At least there was a little action! Well I will let you guys know how I do.

F
FishLife89
FishLife89 said:
Man, that is a bummer, but pretty sweet about the summer. At least there was a little action! Well I will let you guys know how I do.

Well went out today and it was so nice out. The water was perfect green. I missed a bobber down along a seam and then it took about thirty mins later when I had a bobber down and set the hook and had one on. I know the springers can be smaller but it felt like a steelhead or springer jack. Not sure but it rose out of the water once the. Spit the hook. Got it with a last cast piece of eggs on it. Cheers everyone!

jamisonace
jamisonace
There are lots of sub 10lb springers this year. We landed one Friday night that went nuts like a coho or a steelhead. Probably tipped the scales at 8 pounds.

F
FishLife89
jamisonace said:
There are lots of sub 10lb springers this year. We landed one Friday night that went nuts like a coho or a steelhead. Probably tipped the scales at 8 pounds.

This one felt like 6 or 7 haha but it was spazzin out a little bit like a coho or summer. Oh well, still got into a fish in one of my favorite spots. Fishin is always a good day.

C
cobias
Hit the Dam down to pengra this afternoon. Believe it or not we hit , and lost, another summer on a spinner. It was at the last chute/rapid before the first confluence hole where the river comes back together . It took a #3 brass blue fox. Awesome fight but line broke like someone cut it. Lots of line and ledges/boulders in that hole. I was not happy. It was another nice bright one. Saw in all total about 5 springers roll. Im still wondering where all the salmon are. We stayed at the flagpole hole till near dark and didn't see one salmon roll there. Last year at the same time they were rolling like mad and there were less fish over at willy falls. I hope its just the low water has slowed them up.

And i just looked at the summer steel counts. Its actually pretty amazing that we have hit two steelhead with the counts that low. Only 1100 summers that have to be divided by 5 rivers. I wonder if they miscount the steel when the springers are flying over.

Last edited: