Spring break fishing for the youngsters

F
fish4ssss
Hello all. First off I'm new here. Excited to find some opportunities to get the littles some fish. Usually only fish a couple waters throughout the year.

I'm off during Spring Break and my children want to go get the line wet. Any suggestions out there? I hear Canby Pond is open. Does any one know the hours there and if the pond is currently open.

Any way, have to run. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

W
wozniasm
fish4ssss said:
Hello all. First off I'm new here. Excited to find some opportunities to get the littles some fish. Usually only fish a couple waters throughout the year.

I'm off during Spring Break and my children want to go get the line wet. Any suggestions out there? I hear Canby Pond is open. Does any one know the hours there and if the pond is currently open.

Any way, have to run. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Well here's the stocking calendar for starters: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/trout_stocking_schedules/2013/Northwest.pdf

Don't know the hours but I'd guess sunrise to sunset since it's a city park. You could call the city and ask:
CANBY POND: rainbow trout
Stocked the week of March 11 with 400 legal-sized rainbow trout and 50 larger trout. Canby Pond is a 1-acre pond located on the south end of Canby in Canby City Park. The park is south of Hwy 99E and adjacent to the Molalla River. Angling restricted to youth age 17 and under or holders of one of the Disabled Anglers permits.

Also consider Commonwealth and Progress lake in the Beaverton area.

PROGRESS LAKE: trout, brown bullhead
Stocked the week of March 11 and 1,000 legal-sized rainbow trout. This is a 4-acre pond next to the Progress Ridge Town Center in Beaverton, Oregon. The pond is an old rock pit and has a maximum depth of 54 feet. There is a sidewalk, fishing platform and viewing platform on one side of the lake. The lake is owned by Tualatin Hills Parks and Rec. Boating and swimming are prohibited on this lake.

ST. LOUIS PONDS: trout, bass, crappie, bluegill, yellow perch, channel catfish
Ponds #1 and #6 were stocked March 1 with a total of 750 legal-sized rainbow trout and 200 one-pound trout. This stocking is in addition to 1,000 legal-sized fish released the week of Feb. 25 and several dozen trophy class brook trout released earlier in the winter. The gate to the fishing park is now open for the season, and several new ADA-accessible structures are available, including fishing platforms and paved trails. The ponds are located west of I-5 about 15 miles north of Salem and 2 miles West of Gervais. From Gervais, take St Louis Rd west to Tesch Lane, turn left onto Tesch Lane and follow road into the St. Louis Ponds public fishing area.

Being in Canby, St. Louis Ponds is a hop/skip away as well. then in Salem,

WALTER WIRTH LAKE: trout, crappie, bass
Since the first of the year, this pond hasreceived several stockings totaling over 4,000 fishproviding anglersan opportunity to catch trout of all sizes, from legal 8-inch trout to whoppers over 10 pounds. It was stocked again last week with 2,200 legal and 150 larger size rainbow trout. As a reminder, brooders are considered trout so zone regulations apply: five trout daily may be kept and only one over 20 inches. This wheelchair accessible lake is located just east of Salem within Cascade Gateway Park, west of I-5 at Hwy. 22. Take Airport Rd. or Turner Rd. to reach the lake.

F
fish4ssss
Thanks for the info, we fall probably 15 to 20 minutes from Canby pond or St Louis ponds. May hit them both. My 8 year old really itching to get out so looking forward to it. Thanks again.

B

M
Moe
Don't hit commonwealth they didn't stock it something bout water being low

M
morglum_s
I took my kids to Mt. Hood pond tuesday. A nice spot for the little ones. We had some action, but did not land any. There were plenty of folks there, and I saw a couple of legals taken. It's still open to all until April 1st, but after that it I believe it is under 17 and Disabled Anglers only.

F
fish4ssss
Thanks Moe and morglum. Might jump to couple different locations depending on the fish activity. Patience will be a key today. My 5 year old daughter joining big brother and I.

B