Siuslaw Sunday: where to use up our herring...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have about 8 herring ready to go, 4 blue, 4 silver. weather looks very good Sunday (light winds all day, clearing afternoon), low tide near the ocean is about noon.

we do have 1 tag space left for a river coho.

should we: launch at Tiernan or Mapleton and try C&D area?

or launch at Florence marina and head down near the jaws for low tide and then troll back up to 101 bridge as the tide starts coming in?

cheers, roger

E
eugene1
Oh to have such troubles, buddy!

Can't help ya much, but do get out somewhere.

Best,

E
eugene1
Oh yeah,

I know one guide who has caught springers on the town run with headless herring. So, you could just freeze them and use 'em this next spring...

S
SLEDME
Keep in mind this time of year the fish are really on the move upriver so hitting the resting spots while the tide is running is more important than usual.I would troll a spinner or kwikfish and fish any inside corners just like you would for springers on the willamette or a similar system.There should be a few fish on the east side of the bridge at cushman holding on the left side as you go upriver at the first bend.Do not be afraid to fish the 8'to10'water with a spinner or kwikfish as they will attack these at that depth.If I were to fish tomorrow I would cover a lot of water and fish shallower for aggressive fish.

Reactions: Grifter
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SLEDME said:
Keep in mind this time of year the fish are really on the move upriver so hitting the resting spots while the tide is running is more important than usual.I would troll a spinner or kwikfish and fish any inside corners just like you would for springers on the willamette or a similar system.There should be a few fish on the east side of the bridge at cushman holding on the left side as you go upriver at the first bend.Do not be afraid to fish the 8'to10'water with a spinner or kwikfish as they will attack these at that depth.If I were to fish tomorrow I would cover a lot of water and fish shallower for aggressive fish.

good suggestions, thanks.

jhop111
jhop111
I vote for up river. Seen a lot of silvers stacked in the typical holes. Look for anything with a rapid going into a pool and work your way up river. Hit a ton of em tossing red n black warts, or red and white or pink on pink drift colors or lures. Ill be out tuesday, either on the slaw or alsea....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
So close...

So close...

I need to come clean, it might have crossed my mind that last year, on 11/5, Eugene1 nailed a chrome king on herring out of Tiernan, and today being 11/10, getting one on herring out of Florence would have felt really good...

in at 9am we zipped upstream well past Cushman to where the river comes back beside the 126, started trolling down from there, 'coho' spinner OFF one side, standard herring with Chartreuse BigAl out the other side of the boat. worked back and forth as we made our way back to Cushman, covering lots of shallow water along the shore...

just through the RR Bridge, I put on a fresh herring soaked in special scent mix (wink wink at Jeanna), down to the bottom at 14', spent a minute or so getting it settled there and just moving to the rod holder, a king size takedown, fish on, heavy pull-pull, and then it is OFF. hooks there, herring gone.

we were marking a group of good sized fish in the Cushman hole so we worked that area for another hour without further action...once the tide changed they flushed upstream and were gone.

So close...cheers, roger

E
eugene1
I was hoping you guys would pick up a late season hog in tidewater!

Oh well, do you have any herring left? Maybe give it a shot tomorrow?

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
I was hoping you guys would pick up a late season hog in tidewater!

Oh well, do you have any herring left? Maybe give it a shot tomorrow?

Best,

nope, we are done with the river for the year, we do have tag space for 6 more coho if they decide to show up in the lakes and then I get to pivot into my first ever winter steelhead season...

P
plumb2fish
Who'd a thunk that salmon like vanilla/licorice flavored herring....toss in some tuna belly.....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumb2fish said:
Who'd a thunk that salmon like vanilla/licorice flavored herring....toss in some tuna belly.....

:lol:

jhop111
jhop111
:lol: :Whats a salmon ? Tuna...not just for fall nooks and not just for herring... just sayin

P
plumb2fish
jhop111 said:
:lol: :Whats a salmon ? Tuna...not just for fall nooks and not just for herring... just sayin

Now I suppose one of you guys is gonna tell me I can pour the oil from a can of tuna in my eggs and springers in the tribs will bite them....phooey....tuna is for sammiches