Side planers

P
Pni_fisherdude
Hi I am planning on hitting the clackamas this weekend and I was wondering if any of you have experience using side planers and how effective they are. I am going to be fishing from the bank and would like to do some plug fishing. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

B
Berg03
side planers can be VERY effective. Not many use them, very under used! GL

P
pinstriper
I've been pondering on these as well, as a way to use the side planer to get a spinner to kind of sit in the current a ways out - maybe even farther out than I can cast, just throw it and drift it away from you - is that how these work ?

B
Berg03
youtube how to use it. very good videos on how to set it up including how far back you want ur plug/lure

P
Pni_fisherdude
Cool thanks for the info. I just picked one up. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
JB

P
Pni_fisherdude
Well the side planer worked but I think I need a different style of a planer. I got the side winder and it skips along the top of the water and it doesn't grab the water like the luhr Jensen side planer does.
It was good to get out there but there were way too many people floating down river being loud and getting drunk and such. But I'm sure that's normal for this time of the year on the clackamas.
JB

J
Jordy
I have seen it done but you are going to have a hard time this time of year. except very early or late. The guys I see using them spend about 5 minutes getting them set, letting out line and making sure they are working before they start backing them down stream. You would be reeling up to let the splash and giggle crowd through every ten or fifteen minutes.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

D
Dizzy Fisherman
Side planers can be money on rivers such as the Deschutes where you're not allowed to fish from a boat.

P
Pni_fisherdude
Yeah I have to say getting it set up can take a while and when you have to pull in all the time to let people float by it can kinda be a bummer.
That is a great idea dizzy. I might be going out to dufer for a family picnic in july and being able to fish the Deschutes would make it so much better.

JB

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

S
SmallStreams
I played with one in tidewater and found it didn't handle waves very well. The waves would trip the tension spring. Smoother water, there's no question they let you reach spots you can't normally cast to.