Shimano Clarus graphite rods.

R
rippin fish lips
After taking some time looking at rods, i picked up a Shimano clarus Css90mh2b 9'0" rod. 8-12lb, medium heavy, fast action.
I am pretty Pleased buy the action and feel of the rod.

now i just need to match a reel to it, something around $100-150 or so?? I don't want to put a real thats under $100 because it just wouldnt be right on a $100 dollar rod.

The rod is pretty light, so i dont want to put a real on it that would be too heavy. I love a solid set up.

So that being said... Could i get some imput and advice on reals from some fellow offers out there??
I would like a real that would go really good with this rod, i am clueless on what i should match up to it.

I will be drift fishing and it is a spinning rod.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
look at shimano spinning reels. were my favorite before i started fly fishing..they never failed me.

V
veilside180sx
Shimano Symetre or Saros. (I prefer the Saros of the two...waterproof drag and comes with a spare spool)

Troutski
Troutski
Stradic...

Chuck

B
Bucknasty
Troutski said:
Stradic...

Chuck

I agree with chuck! I have a symetre and the stradic.. both are nice but the stradic is worth the extra $. Cheers, Bob

D
DYJ
Hard to beat them, I have the symetre on my drift rod and a Saros on my bobber rod. I do like the Saros more but the Symetre has a lot more miles on it.

Mike @ Oregon Rod and Reel hooked me up with both for a very fair price. He ha em on the self and ready to go for ya.

18406ej
18406ej
My first "real" rod was the Clarus, and it is probably the best that I have ever had. My first reels were the Symetre and the Stradic (I bought the Stradic to keep up with the Troutskis). Both reels are excellent and I have never had any trouble with them at all whether it be from accidental dunkings/droppings to my multiple high-torque snag retrieval efforts. Both e-bay and local stores have good prices on both of these reels, and you are more than welcome to borrow mine to try them out at any time (I have both in the 4500 size). I have heard that the Stradic and the Symetre no longer come with two spools, which surprised me a bit. If two spools are important to you maybe it would be good to look at the Saros. I did just find that extra spools are available from Shimano for about $25

EJ

L
leonmckee
I have the same rod along with various others in that line. I use a Stradic 5000 series with the 9 foot rod for Deschutes Steelhead, but have landed some nice Kings. Perfect balance! The 5000 is a nice reel, but I've had several Salmon, with big shoulders, toast the drag taking off down the river.

Leon McKee

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
I would get the stradic. I have a symetre 2500 its nice but i wish i would of spent a little more for the stradic.

C
cowboysfan
I have owned lots of Shimano Reels over the years and never had a bad experience with one, however 3 yrs ago My Daughter got me a new ugly stick lite for christmas so i went reel hunting for it, after several trials at many of sporting goods counter I settled on a pflueger president reel, it is on its 4th season this summer with no problems I would choose another over the shimanos again, It is extremely smooth,drag is also very smooth, the reel is balanced extremely well, and It cast beautifully.everyone has there own preferences but i would suggest at least giving one a try at the counter.

S
steelie_killa
I have the XMG50 casting rod matched with my 101mg CORE, and my XMG50 spinning bobber rod matched up with the stradic CI4 3000. Both setups are a fishermans dream...Ive hooked more fish than I ever did b4 I upgraded. My thoughts to other, buy the most high end gear u can afford, that way u wont have to keep upgrading.

S
simijab
I use the clarus 9' 6" with the stradic its an awesome set up, versatile to

R
rippin fish lips
Using a 9' midium light action Berkley IM-8 rated 10-20 for salmon... So far it's working just fine for an all around rod 2-4 with steelhead and 2-2 for salmon with it so far. Action is great, and the fish feel amazing on it... no work needed, just let the pole, the current, and the fish do the work.

T
Tinker
Pflueger. I have a Shiimano Symetre and a Pfluger President XT (now discontinied) both in 4000 size - and like both of them, but like the Pflueger a lot more. The Shimano's are all graphite now, and I'm one of those folks who have thrown a rod down in order to land a fish. It would make me sick to drop a 180+ Stradic on it's rotor and crack it.

Customer service has been A+ for both brands, but I'll give an edge to Pflueger. I mangled a tiny spring when removing the rotor and they sent two springs to me, overnight delivery, absolutely for free.

If I remember correctly, the Shimano Sahara, Symtre, Saros and the rotor of the Stradic are all full graphite now, and I just don't trust graphite with the way I treat gear. I'm not bad on it, and it made me sigh when I got the first scratch on the Pflueger, but neither am I goning to watch a fish swim off because I was looking for a place to gently lay down the rod and reel.

On the other hand, the graphite reels aren't going to corrode if used in saltwater.

The Pflueger President XT (and now the Purist) are lower cost reels with carbon fiber drag systems that dissipate heat rapidly and don't slip when wet. The Shimano's use a waterproof drag system made from a proprietary material. Both brands have top-rated drags and are very consistent, easy to adjust, and reliable.

There are a lot of fine reels at less than $100 - in that $80 to $100 slot. And most will balance well with the Clarus rod (damned good rod at any price, BTW). Lots of people like the Stradic, but in addition to having too much plastic/graphite, they cost $180+.