Save the native Umpqua steel

T
Throbbit _Shane
I say allow retention of Winter steelhead on the umpqua like it used to be. 1 a day 5 per year.

D
DYJ
Throbbit _Shane said:
I say allow retention of Winter steelhead on the umpqua like it used to be. 1 a day 5 per year.
that sounds fair to me, that's a solid winter run of natives in that river.

M
Modest_Man
Brandon, have you read any of the proposed changes? Seems to make some sense to me why they would allow 1/5 wild fish retention. Here's a blurb from the link -

"Both ODFW and OSP received numerous phone calls from public who were enraged by seeing guide boats catch and release 20+ wild STW per day. Some people felt a 1/5 harvest would get guide boats off the river faster and reduce hooking mortality, others wanted the guides controlled. Some people have mentioned they don’t want to waste fish and would like the option to harvest if a fish were deeply hooked."

I've got to run but I'll post more later. So far it seems that all the proposed changes have been deferred so far.

R
rippin fish lips
DYJ said:
that sounds fair to me, that's a solid winter run of natives in that river.

Sounds fair to me to. Very solid run of natives in this river.

H
halibuthitman
The new regs have some good science there, unfortunately by allowing retention they will easily increase the pressure on the river by at least a third of its current level, increased pressure will effect the fish... but that river has a lot of native steelhead. If your gonna spend a day harvesting wild fish... please spend at least a day wacking bass on the lower river. One good thing is the retention change would probably ease up a lot of pressure thats currently on the Rogue.. splitting the fishermen better. Kinda funny how folks complain about seeing guides c/r 20 steelhead in a day.... sounds like a weak run to me....:rolleyes::think: Harvest is an important part of any managment system.. I just prefer not to be part of the harvesting.

brandon4455
brandon4455
you guys don't have to agree with me,thats fine. myself and many other people just don't agree with allowing harvest of wild steelhead,especially in that river. who wants to see someone rip one of those beautiful giant wild umpqua steelhead from the gene pool? i dont know how someone could kill something so beautiful...

D
dtikey
when the north used to be open I bonked one low teen native fish that was hooked pretty deep and bleeding I have also caught probally close to 1000 winters out of that river over the years and that was the only fish I killed Gauranteed.Now I do personally think it would be exceptable to be able to harvest 1/5 do to the fact as we talked before Brandon people are already doing this and havent stopped since they closed it.Also where I fish it pressure has been the same for 15 years for winters except for this year when they posted on hawg quest where they were fishing to a tee and evryone ran up thier and mishandled 80% of thier fish.I know me plumb to fish and sevarel other buddies had to say stuff to guys up thier about mistreat our fish.We seen a guy across the river drop a fish like 5 times on the rocks then pass back and forth so both could have thier pic took then just throw it in the river and not think twice.Chances are that fish died for no reason besides feeding the crawdads.So what Im saying is if they could keep at least fish woulda went home with them.I hope you look at the whole picture Brandon and also the fact that the fishery did great for many years as a 1/5.

J
JeannaJigs
That's the healthiest run of natives there is, a minimal harvest will do no harm. I've seen mortally wounded fish be released to die, simply a waste. The option to retain should be there, on a limited 5 a year basis. That's not going to rape the river.

P
plumb2fish
People want to be able to take home their catch....Thats what hatchery turds are for.....Even though there is a strong run in this system, I would vote to keep it closed.....It would be cool if I could take my grand kids(when I have em) to show them what a REAL steelhead run is......

P
plumb2fish
JeannaJigs said:
That's the healthiest run of natives there is, a minimal harvest will do no harm. I've seen mortally wounded fish be released to die, simply a waste. The option to retain should be there, on a limited 5 a year basis. That's not going to rape the river.

If you figure 25 guides fishing 100 days on that system bonking 2 fish per trip, that adds up to 5,000 steelhead really fast.....do you really think it wont hurt the fishery?

T
Throbbit _Shane
plumb2fish said:
If you figure 25 guides fishing 100 days on that system bonking 2 fish per trip, that adds up to 5,000 steelhead really fast.....do you really think it wont hurt the fishery?

Not every customer will want to bonk a wild steelhead. Sure the out of staters or people who dont fish often will want to, but regular customers will most likely let them go.

P
plumb2fish
Throbbit _Shane said:
Not every customer will want to bonk a wild steelhead. Sure the out of staters or people who dont fish often will want to, but regular customers will most likely let them go.
So you are saying that most fishermen are different than you....seems to me I remember you letting us all know that you were definitely taking your 5 from the river you fish....

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
H
halibuthitman
its really up to the guides, and I have a feeling they are really going to promote releasing the larger fish.. and it wouldn't hurt to yank a bunch of those 27-28 inch fish out of the gene pool, the fact, as throbbit said is most of the truely effective steelheaders on that river will let nates go.. and now all the poachers can simply tag a fish and fish and game can see how many fish truely are leaving the system... THOUSANDS of salmon and steelhead are poached every year in oregon.. thousands

T
Throbbit _Shane
plumb2fish said:
So you are saying that most fishermen are different than you....seems to me I remember you letting us all know that you were definitely taking your 5 from the river you fish....

This isn't about me.

I honestly dont get the mentality that most people have towards Steelhead. People treat them like they are sacred or something. Yet no one cries or gives a damn when a person legally bonks a wild springer, wild fall chinook, wild coho, wild sockeye, etc. If you guys truly care so much for these fish, why do even you fish for them? You dont think it stresses them out when you fight them? Or how about when it takes the hook to far down its throat, or your single siwash goes through the mouth and out the eye? This sport isn't friendly to the fish even if you release it. Your fish may swim off after the release but who really know what happens after that. Catch and eat or catch and release I have no problem, but dont preach to me.

Reactions: brandon4455
P
plumb2fish
It would just be nice if ODFW didn't have to "Manage" anther run into near extinction in my lifetime.....Why I have such stong feeling about steelhead and not salmon, I can't rightly answer other than I don't harvest wild Spring Chinook and only kept one Coho on the Siuslaw last season because it was dead(gushing blood) when it hit the net....

brandon4455
brandon4455
most people lack ethics and think if something is legal it wont do any harm. that being said im sure a large percentage of people that catch a wild steelhead would bonk it if legal.

it all boils down to money.. the fisheries dont matter,

it's all about selling licenses /tags

i know one thing for sure if it does happen you wont find me bonking ay of those wild fish...i wouldnt do it for all of the money in the world

i would rather be poverty stricken drug addict then a person that bonks wild steelhead

odfw can kiss my ass.

Last edited:
D
dtikey
plumb2fish said:
It would just be nice if ODFW didn't have to "Manage" anther run into near extinction in my lifetime.....Why I have such stong feeling about steelhead and not salmon, I can't rightly answer other than I don't harvest wild Spring Chinook and only kept one Coho on the Siuslaw last season because it was dead(gushing blood) when it hit the net....

I know why have strong feeling for steelhead and not salmon.Because salmon stink.haha.And whats this about grandkids something you didn't tell me yet.

P
plumb2fish
Throbbit _Shane said:
This isn't about me.

I honestly dont get the mentality that most people have towards Steelhead. People treat them like they are sacred or something. Yet no one cries or gives a damn when a person legally bonks a wild springer, wild fall chinook, wild coho, wild sockeye, etc. If you guys truly care so much for these fish, why do even you fish for them? You dont think it stresses them out when you fight them? Or how about when it takes the hook to far down its throat, or your single siwash goes through the mouth and out the eye? This sport isn't friendly to the fish even if you release it. Your fish may swim off after the release but who really know what happens after that. Catch and eat or catch and release I have no problem, but dont preach to me.

As far as "taking away my reputation points" I'm not on here to gain a rep....

My point as far as your statement was concerned...was exactly as stated....Most fishermen will keep fish where "legal" to do so, native or not...PERIOD. Especially when paying $150-$225 for a drift boat ride.
My example was you by your own admission. I simply stated that your arguement about most people throwing them back had flawed logic.....unless you are some how different from "most" people.
As far as bonking a wild fish goes, there is a 0 % chance it makes it to the gravel....and an 85% or better chance,depending on what study you look at, of a c-n-r fish spawning....

I do agree Fishing is harmful to fish. PERIOD...I fish because I enjoy the whole experience and if I need to bonk a fish I go where hatchery turds are put there for that purpose.

Last edited:
D
dtikey
since we are on this subject I just wanted to share a very good picture with you guys on the north ump fishing with plumb to fish and mosd.Not a high jack just wanted to share since I already put in my two cents on the subject.First is the fight second is the beautifull pure native hen I was lucky enough to catch 2 winters ago. CIMG0765.jpgCIMG0766.jpg