Save the native Umpqua steel

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Alright Mad dog,that is enough of your outbursts. I have already asked you to get back on topic and you ignored me. Don't really want to do that...:naughty: Back off or receive a 2 week suspension. First, last and only warning. :cool:

M
Mad dog
Sorry Barb!!!

Actually 2 weeks off sounds kind of nice!

Don't like Van....doubt that opinion will change much!

He insulted me from the beggining and this time called me insecure....Imagine that! Do I appear insecure? I'm betting I can double down on old Van....what he knows about flyfishing....I bet I know twice as much....used to guide guys like Van! Got him pretty well figured out! What a shame to be so narrow minded!

Reactions: steelhead1
V
Van
Mad dog said:
Don't like Van....doubt that opinion will change much!

I think i may shed a tear or two.......nah. :lol: The opinion is mutual.

You start off trolling me multiple times and bringing up old posts and now you are claiming to be the victim. Hilarious.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Van said:
I think i may shed a tear or two.......nah. :lol: The opinion is mutual.

You start off trolling me multiple times and bringing up old posts and now you are claiming to be the victim. Hilarious.

Ok, and we're done. Thank you for playing.

H
hawgcaller
Wow, this thread is great! I must say that I signed the paper to be able to keep 5 nates on the big U. I have not fished it much other than high water plunking spinglos. Which in my opinion can't be snagging considering the fish completely eat the spinglo, but that is another topic. I saw a lot of fish caught there last year and every single one was a nate. I can see the problem with the mortality rate of released fish and the problem of guides allowing their clients to keep the fish they catch. My question is why is there such a poor run of hatchery fish? to protect the natives? I would not keep a nate unless it was absolutely dead! I think they should bump up the hatchery program and then people may be able to keep a fish that was not a native. BTW much respect for Maddog, you and your offspring seem to have that place dialed in. I would say you know your home waters pretty well. Pretty sure that info would transfer well to most bodies of water. I regard his posts as a respectable opinion along with many others on this great forum. Thanks for the great reading!! :lol:

Reactions: fishinshawn
N
nativefish
plumb2fish said:
People want to be able to take home their catch....Thats what hatchery turds are for.....Even though there is a strong run in this system, I would vote to keep it closed.....It would be cool if I could take my grand kids(when I have em) to show them what a REAL steelhead run is......

ya like the returns on the clackamas!

P
plumb2fish
nativefish said:
ya like the returns on the clackamas!

Come on man, why would you even compare the river with the oldest failing hatchery program in the state to the Umpqua system....the problem here isn't a lack of fish, it is the desire to keep fish that are doing very well without hatchery supplementation. The only reason I would be for keeping nates is if the only other choice was to add hatchery fish....there are already enough strays on the north. Hatchery fish are for systems that are not capable of sustainig enough spawners due to us @$#*ING them up. That is not the case on the north umpqua.
It looks like maybe you meant people should keep the hatchery turds from rivers like the clackamas...if that's the case i appilogize.

Last edited:
Y
yellowjacket
I'd Like to See STEP & ODFW set up Hatch Boxes on the gravel beds & use wild gene pool to grow the "native" numbers so that limited harvest with slot lengths wouldn't create this sort of impassioned debate. Restoration of the riparian zones with the large cedar & hemlocks is also a critical need to maintain healthy runs of fish from any source, wild or hatchery, versus the alder & high temperature monoculture douglas fir stands that have been the replacement species after bad harvest practices along the banks of many N.W.rivers

The Business as usual management practices do not promote the long term future of anadromous fish populations, this should be the main direction of petitioning & pressure on the regulating agencies. Its Broke & needs fixing PDQ.

Poem From a Pueblo Indian.
I have killed the deer.

I have crushed the grasshopper.

And the plants he feeds upon.

I have taken fish from the water.

And birds from the sky.

In my life I have needed death

So that my life can be.

When I die I must give life

To what has nourished me.

The earth receives my body

And gives it to the plants

And to the caterpillars

To the birds

And to the coyotes

Each in its own turn so that

The circle of life is never broken.

Catch & release or catch & eat, follow your conscience.

Reactions: Troutski and JeannaJigs
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
yellowjacket said:
Poem From a Pueblo Indian.
I have killed the deer.

I have crushed the grasshopper.

And the plants he feeds upon.

I have taken fish from the water.

And birds from the sky.

In my life I have needed death

So that my life can be.

When I die I must give life

To what has nourished me.

The earth receives my body

And gives it to the plants

And to the caterpillars

To the birds

And to the coyotes

Each in its own turn so that

The circle of life is never broken.

Catch & release or catch & eat, follow your conscience.

Love this. Thank you for posting!

E
eggs
That really was a great poem!