Sandy River steelhead

H
Hookem
I'm new to the state and trying to figure out if anyone has an idea if/when steelhead will be back in the Sandy River headed upstream near Dabney State Park. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

F
fishsauce
Now is a great time to fish it as there are lots of opportunity on the Sandy. Winter steel will be up higher in the system near the hatchery. Early summer steelhead will also start to show. On top of that, spring chinook are just now entering the system.

J
Jordy
Good time to start! Any hookup will be a surprise as to which species you found. They should all be around

T
tribfisherpdx
My suggestion is lower river with good presentation and fluorocarbon line it takes patience on avg I'm landing a summer every 2-5 hours

T
tribfisherpdx
Hookem said:
I'm new to the state and trying to figure out if anyone has an idea if/when steelhead will be back in the Sandy River headed upstream near Dabney State Park. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Also if u want to get into some summers msg me I'll show you a few honey holes this year bait hasn't worked for me I've tagged 8 summers on the sandy alone

S
Sketchmann
tribfisherpdx said:
Also if u want to get into some summers msg me I'll show you a few honey holes this year bait hasn't worked for me I've tagged 8 summers on the sandy alone
How is fishing on the Sandy?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

T
tribfisherpdx
Waters brown should clear in a day or two then fishing will be good spinners and coon shrimp

H
Harry
Any thoughts about bank fishing with spinners at Oxbow on Friday or Saturday?

S
Sketchmann
Were you looking for someone to go with? I have never fished the Sandy yet.

H
Harry
Would be good to go with another person. I have only fished Oxbow and near the I84 bridge. PM me when you get a chance

S
Sketchmann
I will not be able to go tomorrow. But Sunday or Monday would be good.

T
tribfisherpdx
Go higher up cross bull run it's inches then fish fast water were sandy splits

H
Harry
tribfisherpdx said:
Go higher up cross bull run it's inches then fish fast water were sandy splits

Is that at Dodge Park? If yes, would you fish above or below Dodge Park? I
drove there a couple of weeks ago to check it out and there area at the park was full of swimmers

J
Jordy
That's up in the brightwood area, so its above dodge park. Your best bet is to look at Google maps. Make sure you watch the regs. I believe the salmon river is still closed if memory serves.

The confluence of the sandy and salmon is in Brightwood.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

H
Harry
Checked Google maps. It looks like it would be off 26, on SE Alt road or Sleepy Hollow Drive

J
Jordy
Correct

J
Jordy
I haven't fished it much during the summer since they removed the dam because the glacial flow makes the river pretty un-fishable on hot days. I would expect it to be very chalky Brown for the foreseeable future...

S
Sketchmann
Thanks for all the support everyone.

H
Harry
Jordy said:
I haven't fished it much during the summer since they removed the dam because the glacial flow makes the river pretty un-fishable on hot days. I would expect it to be very chalky Brown for the foreseeable future...

you are right, Jordy. I just called a lodge in Brightwood and was told that the Sandy was quite muddy and was told to give it a while until it, hopefully, cools off

M
Modest_Man
Revenue/Dodge down had fishy looking water this morning. Up higher near Brightwood it's still blown. No guarantee that it will still be good later today or tomorrow though with the heat.