Sandy River fishing

F
FishFinger
The birds nest your developing is is due to the spool overrunning and continuing to spit line after your gear has hit the water and stoped traveling.

You have two brakes available, one is an adjustment on the side of the reel that slows the free spooling. The secoond is your thumb. Once your rig hits the water stop the spool and prevent backlash.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Here are some pics of the drift rig I tie up, and a slip bobber...

The drift setup I use is a little different, meaning simple, compared to others, and you'll notice the tiny amount of weight. Key to catching more fish, is less weight. I learned that one real quick! I leave the tag end of the mainline long, and attach split shot there, to help prevent snagging my leader. If the weights get wedged they just slide off with a good tug. Saves time, and allows more time in the drift, actively fishing. If you don't know how to tie an egg loop, learn it, and love it, as the Sandy, & Clackamas especially are real leader eaters. I use a size 1 VMC straight point, and 8lb. Suffix Siege leader. And I don't use 3-way swivs. For some reason, I just hate the things, and I think they detract fish somehow with their harmonics... and you won't need one if you leave long enough tag ends...

The slip bobber, or drift float, is just a bouyant float, that has the ability to slide all the way down to your swivel, or in line sinker. But it can only go up the mainline so far, until it hits the stop knot...You can adjust the depth of your bait, just by sliding the stop knot up or down. Cast out, find the bottom, and pull your stop knot about 18"-24" down your mainline, then you are set. I only use these in deep, deep holes, or real slack water, with weird currents where I can cast it out, and let it do its thing in the currents. But do not put more than about a quarter ounce of weight on these things, I normally use 1/16, or 1/8.
And make sure your baitcaster is set up properly, as I regularly cast out less than 1/8 of an ounce with an Old Skool 6000C, meant for heavy line, and lures/weight. It just take a little while to adjust the brake, and drag, so check it out. Play with it in a parking lot, or at your place in an open area. You should be able to dial that thing in given a little time, and patience... Hope you can see the crappy close up pictures...

K
kentsboots
visuals were a big help , thanks !

A
ArcticAmoeba
I know it is not much to be impressed at, compared to some rigs I see...Sheez!:rolleyes: It is deadly simple, and deadly effective in the right drift. My most productive rig to date, hands down! Moochers, and Side Drifters(two hook rig) work well, but I only switch to them when I get a ton of drive by's, or short strikes.