Sandy advice

S
steelhead_slayer
I plan on making a trip to the Sandy river for my first time. I have some great flies from a recent fly swap I want to use, and I'm also bringing my spinning rod. A search of the archives have given me a pretty good idea of what to use. Would anyone familiar with the river be willing to post or PM some advice on a section to try with good bank access and any tips so I don't end up getting skunked like last year when I tried the North Umpqua.

Thanks for looking

F
FlyBum
Are you thinking about fishing the upper sections or lower sections of the river?

S
steelhead_slayer
Most likely the upper section since it's a little closer, but i'll go were ever the fish are. I was thinking of start around oxbow (not sure if that is considered upper)

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
This subject interests me as well, because until last week I hadn't really fish the Sandy since I was really young, even having grownup in Troutdale. I hope to hear some advice about when to fish up near Ceder Creek and when to go up to Welches, Marmot and Brightwood? I don't think I'll get back over there for awhile, someone compared getting me over to the Valley is like "Trying to drag a Cement Truck over the Hill".

H
hunt-fish-trap
there was a guy on CL a while back who would take you down the river for a small "donation". you supply your own gear and he just rows you down the river showing you where to fish. HE IS NOT A GUIDE. I saw him a few times on the river last year and they always had fish in the boat. might be worth a try, Thats what I did for the first year, go with a guide. learn as much as possible take notes and then copy. :)

S
steelhead_slayer
That would be awesome, and I could probably afford a small donation. Unfortunately I can't afford a guide though. Wish I could cause I would always hire a guide when fishing a new water.

Maybe an OFF member experienced with the Sandy would like to get on the water and make a little bit of money at the same time?

Thanks for replying hunt-fish-trap

Last edited: