Salmon on the Sandy river

F
FishSchooler
Looks like your child had great fun sliding down the bank! :lol:

K
kentsboots
Today I hit dodge park again , and no luck at all , no sightings either . Then off to Dowty bridge at bonnie lure , and couldnt see any fish , walked all the way back to the logs and walked out on them , and nothing at all . THen up to the bridge past eagle fern , nothing in there either ... :think:

O
osmosis
I was talking to an ODFW guy today that told me they have a total of 30, yes THIRTY chinook back at the hatchery.

It's time to either fight for a change, or panic.

K
kentsboots
Fished the Mciver dam again this morning for about 3 hours , didn't get there til 9 tho , so i know i missed the ideal time . FIsh were jumping every so often , but didn't get anything .. again :)

A
ArcticAmoeba
kentsboots said:
Fished the Mciver dam again this morning for about 3 hours , didn't get there til 9 tho , so i know i missed the ideal time . FIsh were jumping every so often , but didn't get anything .. again :)

Oh, I wish I would have stayed...I was there from 6ish until about 8 or 8:30. 3 cookies cutters, 23" retained. 1 wild Super Jack, 27" released. 1 outbound steel snake, released. The 4 jack were hooked just below the riffle at the bottom of the Dam Hole, and the rest were pulled from a special lane above the upper boat launch. Then the bite turned off, no more missing bait every cast, and no more short strikes, I had stuff to do anyways, but yes you may have missed the bite, but no fear the fishing is not really great anyways, it will pick up progressivly, so don't give up on fishing out there. All of the Clackamas river will heat up starting a a few weeks.

K
kentsboots
DOH :shock: I could tell somone had been there , wet spots all over the rocks , looked like a fish or two been layed around . 9 is hte earliest i can be there cause i have to take my son to school at 7:50

K
kentsboots
what do you mean "cookie cutters" ?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I call hatchery fish cookie cutters, because most of the time, when they school together, the are all of similar size. I try to target pods of fish in the rivers, so I can usually take at least one or two from the front of the pack without too much commotion amongst the rest of the herd. Cookie cutters, just a stupid term I used to describe the Jack that I retained today.

I may have turned off the hole by accident actually after landing the last jack up there, it had a wild hare stuck somewhere, and started to spool mee really hard, and airing most of the way out of the water multiple times...Really thought it was a fat Steelhead at first, because it had run all the way across the river, and up into the fishway arches, then started airing the laundry! But, like I said before, be patient for the fish to really start running, and Yeah it was probanly me who you saw evidence of. I wander all over, get all the rocks wet, lay fish everywhere, and my bait leeches some of the brightest red cure juice you will ever see on those rocks!

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
Lol, reading where each other has been sounds like great fun. :lol: Way to tell if Ive been there is to see if there is a mark from someone banging their head on a tree. :lol: