Salmon on the Sandy river

K
kentsboots
Nah , thats not the poop bridge , that one is right off eagle creek rd just b4 estacada :)

I Plan on heading out again next monday morning , i think ill hit up dodge park again , kinda like it there . Then maybe jump over to the clack , I want to go to Mciver, and then try to find the "dam hole" and get to know those places really good . Then maybe if im desperate ill try to find Cedar Creek and monkey around there for a bit :D

So is pic # 4 up a trail from the bridge ? about how far up is it ?

A
ArcticAmoeba
definitely try up river on the Clackamas for the moment...I went up to scout some holes today, and saw more fish rolling above Barton Park, and a bunch of bronzers, and a few fresher looking 'nook at McIver. Looks promising, so let us know how you do man!

F
FishFinger
That 4th pict... If you follow the trail pat the maples stands, then the cedars, you jog out into a human game trail that cuts through blackberries and canary grass. My guess it about 1/3 mile when the trail dumps you at the that hole.

I was told that is the log jam hole. It's bigger than in the past and guaranteed to hold fish when the run is in.

T
tnffishman
kentsboots said:
I did manage to reel in an old spinner someone had lost :) and i had another line reeled in too , but i lost the lure when i was yanking it in :clap:

Two questions , Bonnie Lure state park ... I went to check it out and drove across the road from the 211 - 224 junction , and crossed the bridge and parked off to the right , I saw the sign and walked right to the water . there was signs all over the bridge stating NOT to cross to the other side , and there was a house right across the water from my side ... Anyone fish from right where i was at right over the bridge ? do the residents there give you a hard time for it ? As far as i could tell i was in an ok spot , cause the sign on my side said Bonnie Lure State Park ... I went up the road furhter , but didn't see an acual park so it was weird , maybe i didn't go far enough ?

And McIver Park , i have only been there once and not to fish , but I was parked by the boat launch , right by some decent rapids . Should i head up stream past the rapids to fish , or head down stream for better fishing ?

Somthimes my time is limited and i can't go explore all over so I figure id ask the experts ;)

i fish this bridge A LOT when the coho get in. i hav been checkin it about twice a week cuz they will be in pretty soon. u can't go under the bridge, which sucks cause the fish gather in the hundreds right next to the shore by the bank on the other side. the homeowner there does not let people fish there(unless he knows them) he has threatened to call the police before. this hole is nice for the beginning of the run, but a lot of foul hooking takes place there. good luck

T
tnffishman
FishFinger said:
Sorry I didn't provide specifics for the picts.... It was like a 4:00 post and well.... That's my excuse.

1) Is at the end of Eagle Creek, at the hatchery. I didn't attempt to prove or disprove if the power was actually on...

2) The signage @ Bonnie Lure Park. One good thing, no firearms ban; they got that one right.

3) The bridge: I was going to ask if this is the bridge where the troll who hassled Boots lives. I didn't see any excrement on the trail, but I did spy a pair of crusty undies that perhaps belonged to him.... Those are them on the bank

4) This one is sweet.... As you walk down the trail towards the clack, this is one of the "bigger" holes I found Eagle Cr. The trail dumps out on it, I am sure it gets a lot of attention when "fish are in"

5) The upper or eastern confluence of Eagle Cr. & the Clackamas R. I didn't have my waiders on so I didn't explore further, but I wish I had.

It was so beautiful.

In all my years I had never seen Eagle Creek, heard stories about the insanity that occurs there but never fished it.

man, eagle creek is my second home. the pic of the ddep hole is called the log hole. it is a good spot, ut there is very limited bank access and chances of landing fish are very little. if there are no fish or too many people in the park, i will cross the confluence in the last pic and fish the clack. a lot of people do good there.

A
ArcticAmoeba
I don't want to dash your hopes, but probably 80% of those listings got drastically re-worked, or disapperared after the '96 flood. Some are still great spots to find fish, but many have been washed away as of late...And about the guy who says he'll call the cops. Let him, as long as you know that you are legal, you are fine...I have had many words with him early in the season, and he has called the cops before. Two hours later a Sherriff shows up, and has no idea about where an individual is allowed to fish. So another argument insues with the gentleman across the river. I have yet to be taken off the river. And the Log Jam is good if you know where to fish it. It seems to change every year, but up rver, and down river from the crowded area in the pic is normally O.K. It will be a few weeks before any decent numbers of Coho file into the creek, but do your park to stop flossers, and snaggers...Call OSP...often, and don't be afraid to tell someone that they need to put a fish back because it was illegally hooked. Say it loud enough so all the other snaggers can hear you, and stand your ground, don't let anyone leave with foul hooked fish...Those people are part of the reason the fishery could go down the tubes! Anyhoo folks, the Coho fishery is goin to heat up in a few weeks. Be prepared to rub elbows with some strange fishermen. Just my 2 cents on the Coho fishery. And Boots the book you have, looking a little closer, all of the holes are pretty much gone, but the drifts it lists, I could definitely show you some time, minus some of the really awesome ones, where you need private property access. Power Line hole(8), Fish w/ Eddy, or the Big Eddy(5), Swinging Bridge, or the Swing Drift(6), and the Old Grants Park Drift(13), used to be an old park, but now it is an older couple who own it. Normally pretty nice about letting you fish it. But most of those just listed are not accessible, just so you know man!

K
kentsboots
I had beed mainly looking on google maps for briges and river access then thougt of that book , i figured from 1988 it would be a lot different , but i recognised a few names so figured id post it up .

As far as snaggers go , my experiece is limited , I had once went up to Lewis River in WA with a freind who was gonna show me how to do it . Ended up setting me up with a single corky and hook ... then goes over and bumps elbows with the snaggers at the little hole by the hatchery ... so i steeered clear on the other side and didint catch anything , even tho they were pulling em out and kicking em back in the whole time .

seen some snaggers at eagle creek under the poop bridge that time too , guy snags out a nice fish right by us , then just pulls the hook out and walks off like no big deal , while we sat there thinkin "what a waste" cause we hadnt been getting anything all day .

A
ArcticAmoeba
It is truly disgusting, and really fires me and another friend up. He called on people at Hoikers, and at Warrendale. We saw half dozen fish pulled, and rushed away from the bank. Maybe 1 or 2 were hatchery, but experience tells us most were wild, as the week prior, they were going 1 hatchery to 5 wilds...and what do you know, we went down, same friend and I to Tanner, and when we drove by Warrendale, not a single plunker. OSP must have shooed all of the poachers away for a few days...AHHH, snaggers, and poachers! We will get outthis fall for Coho, but especially this winter, when the Steel get really big, and there are about 5 or 6 still very fishable flats, and holes listed in your book. Perfect for Steelhead, and Chinook.

K
kentsboots
anyone ever fish the bridge of Bull run , right by roslynn lake ? I been checking google maps , and thought i saw a good spot along Gordon Creek rd , but with google maps you can use street veiw , and i see no parking signs all along there , so thats a no go ...

But the bridge over bull run looks ok , no signs of any kind that I can see . Although its right by some kind structure right on the water , not sure what it is .

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Bull Run Road bridge is a place I have fish before. We parked right after the yellow sign warning of the turn before the bridge, and just pulled off to the right, kind of a mini gravel/grass lot. You'll see what I mean if you head out there. We fished out one chromer each in 6 hours of fishingit last summer, so fish run up there, just not sure of anything other tan we caught a couple. Don't fish tat far away usually. Gordon Creek Rd. runs by Oxbow Park I believe, and anywhere you can pull over and hike down to the river is better than being at Oxbow fishin. You should be fine parking off the side of a road, unless there are signs that disclude it. If no sign, then I say free parking...Just don't leave it overnight, then a Sherriff may have it towed because they thought we abandoned my old truck. Nay, just fishing overnight we said, and off came the truck. No hassles, so I'm assuming we were in the right, and legal...

F
FishFinger
Wow that is info from back when I fished the clack as a yonger knuckhead... Took a 32 lb springer and a 20 lb winter hen out of the coffey hole.

Today it's gone as are many of the old spots; but new ones are created.

Honestly the only way to know for sure is recon and gather intel. (and report back... lol)

Parking and holding water 2 critical aspects to consider.

A
ArcticAmoeba
A 20 lb. Steel is Trophy sized Dan! Dang buddy, have not heard of 20+ hatchery fish in a long while...from the Clackamas anyways.

K
kentsboots
Well we started out at the dam hole at Mciver at 7 AM . fished there for about 3 hours , spinners and a little drifting ... nothing . only saw about 10 fish jump the whole time , seemed a few when we got there , then a few when we left , only one other guy out there almost around the bend .

Then it was off to Dodge park , since that was the better accesss one for my son , didn't want to have to monkey around the side of hills if we didn't have to . FIshed dodge park the same way and no luck at all :(

F
FishSchooler
The salmon arent biting this year compared to last year the crowd on the banks said, they also said that on the columbia, it was only like half of what they would expect. Lots of salmon in creeks though, too bad you can't fish em.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Of course people a complaining on the opening day out on the Columbia... The moon phase has turned off the bite, and ODFW knows that. It will turn out to be a murder scene, once the bite comes back around later in the week...Also a way for the suits to shut it down early if the bite is really hot.:( Oh well, I only fish out there in a boat anyhoo, and it is nice to relax with a friend every once in a while!

BOOTS - No worries, We fished practically everywhere yesterday, from backtrolling the Columbia, to drifting the Clack below the confluence of Eagle Creek. Lots of drive-bys, and short strikers, but no solid hookups for me, and a friend of mine, who makes me look like a total amateur, and I guess I am, but dang, this guy catches tons of fish, and none for either of us yesterday. I can tell you to maybe try again later this week. Like Thursday, or Friday if time permits. The fish will be more apt to bite after the moon has settled them down a bit. News and Fulls, I normally have to wait a few days after them to get into consistent fishing. I am going to fish the below the Dams at Rivermill, and Cazadaro for Steelhead(yes, there are still Steel in the river, and I do catch them normally, so don't count them out folks!) on Friday probably, so I'll post some results.

Last edited:
K
kentsboots
So since I have been having a bit of trouble with my casting and getting the distance without my line getting all "birds nested" ... seems like it works good , but if i try to get it out too far then it gets the worst tangles .

what size line do you all like to use ? I have been using 20 lb line on my reel , i know its rated at 12 max , but i wanted to make sure i wasn't gonna loose that monster fish :D

what would be the good size without being over kill ... ?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I run 14 or 16lb. Sufix Siege as a mainline for my drift rod, and I just need to quit screwin around with what works...Maxima UG, It is awesome for mainline, no need to double seat every knot, ect.. Siege is awesome for tying up bait loops, and super durable leader material, for droppers, and terminal leader. Do have to D.S. the stuff, but it is super TUFF, with two T's! If you are having problems with birds nesting, then the brake is probably just not set up properly. a lot of folks reel up what ever they have tied on, nearly to the last eye, and then tighten up your brake, and click your reel in to the freespool mode(what you push to cast it) and slowly loosen up the brake until your lure/bait starts to drop. That is about right. I keep mine a little on the tight side, and if I use somebody elses, a little more on the tight side, because I too get nested out every once in a while when fishing, and tighter settings seem to negate the issue for me. Also you do know that your second brake can help with the birding up if it is happening when the lure hits the water...It is your thumb, if you can remember to use it, and if you keep an eye on what ever you are tossing, start giving it a little pre dunk pressure right before it gets wet. It pretty much works for me if I remember to do all of that, when I use anything other than my own stuff... And I have mine all set to run the same thing every time, bait through a favorite drift, and I'm really picky about that one. I throw terminal with a spinning rod most of the time. If you are drift fishing the Clackamas, and most of the Sandy, you should not need to cast more than 30ish feet, if you do, it becomes too hard to put your presentation into the drift lane with accuracy. Also if you are casting hard tackle a couple small split shot 20" above your stuff helps me out.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Oh yeah if it is 20lb. spectre line or similar braid, and you got it at a retailer, it may be old, and the fibers flatten out. Then every once in a while the stuff turns a funny direction since it is no longer circular, and is able to absolutely bury itself a few wraps down in the reel. I once had a nasty problem with some old(probably) braid. Sucks but it happens.

K
kentsboots
Maybe ill downsize the line to 15 , i have some of that too . see if it makes a difference . This is hte first time i have used the baitcaster , so im still gettin used to the brake and all .

thanks !

A
ArcticAmoeba
Oh well, then definitely take some time and get to know your reel...real well... Just screw around in a parking lot or driveway tossing some split shot, or maybe a small kidney lead. You'll figure it out.