Salmon 2022 Show OFF

jamisonace
jamisonace
O. mykiss said:
That's awesome! Good sized fish for the McKenzie too! Thanks for letting us know.
Two were definitely above average. Have fun out there.

Reactions: O. mykiss
Diehard
Diehard
Plunked the ten year flood up at Bonneville dam yesterday on the Washington side caught a couple giant sturgeon smallest was 5ft I managed to land one chromer caught on a large green n chartreuse spinglow with tuna belly had about five fish landed in are group

• Screenshot_20220612-111243_Messages.jpg
Reactions: scched, jamisonace, O. mykiss and 1 other person
scched
scched
Diehard said:
Plunked the ten year flood up at Bonneville dam yesterday on the Washington side caught a couple giant sturgeon smallest was 5ft I managed to land one chromer caught on a large green n chartreuse spinglow with tuna belly had about five fish landed in are group
I was on the Oregon side below tanner creek tossing spinners in the back eddy. Water was crazy high. Only saw 2 landed between around 20 dudes plunking in the five or so hours I was there.

I did watch the 4 guys next to me reel in 150-200 shad though ha

Diehard
Diehard
scched said:
I was on the Oregon side below tanner creek tossing spinners in the back eddy. Water was crazy high. Only saw 2 landed between around 20 dudes plunking in the five or so hours I was there.

I did watch the 4 guys next to me reel in 150-200 shad though ha
No sturgeon for you guys? they were creating so much chaos for us I saw probably 20 hooked some as big as 8ft jumping out of the water pretty wild day

scched
scched
Diehard said:
No sturgeon for you guys? they were creating so much chaos for us I saw probably 20 hooked some as big as 8ft jumping out of the water pretty wild day
nope! But I wouldn't have minded catching one to be honest, never caught one lol

Reactions: Diehard
jamisonace
jamisonace
Hit a couple rivers this week and found some fish. I had a couple advertising clients call me up and ask if I would take them springer fishing. It's never hard to get me to go fishing but it's especially easy when I can call it work. On Thursday I took a client and his son on a short float. The water was a little high but I sent him home with a nice 12 pound springer. This felt really good because he had already gone with two guides and was skunked both times. This fish was a blast. We hooked it in a run above Davis Rapids on a 6-12lb side drifting rod and 10lb leader. I was expecting a summer steelhead in this run but this gal surprised us. It ripped line downstream to the top of the rapid and we tried to pull it back up for a few minutes before I knew it was a lost cause. We ended up taking it down Davis and landing it at the bottom. It was a rodeo but made the whole experience a lot more fun. This was his first salmon and his biggest fish which makes it way more awesome. The next day I took another client and his dad up north. We did an afternoon float because I had work in the morning. We immediately hooked and lost a fish and then got one on the next pass. Then things got slow.....for us anyway. My buddy was guiding his second trip of the day so I was letting him have first shot at holes downstream of where we got our first one and he ended up limiting a couple guests. He got his last fish and we slipped into the hole and got the fish in the picture. You can't see it in the picture but it was a great sized fish for this river and in really good shape. So we went home with one limit for these guys. I was really expecting it to be better but we got a little unlucky with the timing because two guide boats put in less than a half hour before we launched. I can usually count on being alone when I fish the afternoon and even after the river has been hammered by guides it fishes well after a couple hours of rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: O. mykiss, DOKF, Admin and 1 other person
Diehard
Diehard
Nice fishes👍

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Afternoon limit. Apparently we are calling these "tributary spring chinook". Some jackass felt the need to pretty it up. LOL

20220701_172650.jpg

Reactions: scched, Diehard and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
For colored up fish, they sure do cut nice. These are about to go on the grill with a homemade pesto aoili.

Happy 4th all!

Reactions: Admin and scched
Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Went out of Winchester on Sunday with my 90 year old Grandpa we got our 8 keepers for the boat and Gramps got to watch his Great Grand daughter pull on a bunch of fish and catch some as well.

July 3rd fish.jpg

Reactions: Snopro, Diehard, jamisonace and 2 others
scched
scched
Went out tuna fishing Sunday... no tuna, but did catch one native coho while trolling into Depoe. No pic, unfortunately, it was pretty cookie-cutter

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm not one to chase reports but I couldn't resist after seeing @Bo Peep 's post about Winchester Bay. Got a late start and didn't start fishing until close to 8 but had 3 limits by 12. What a fun day. One of our crew was the son of a friend that had never fished for Salmon before so he had a great time bringing in most of the fish. Not a bad day on the ocean for a river maggot like myself.

Reactions: Bo Peep, Diehard, scched and 1 other person
scched
scched
jamisonace said:
I'm not one to chase reports but I couldn't resist after seeing @Bo Peep 's post about Winchester Bay. Got a late start and didn't start fishing until close to 8 but had 3 limits by 12. What a fun day. One of our crew was the son of a friend that had never fished for Salmon before so he had a great time bringing in most of the fish. Not a bad day on the ocean for a river maggot like myself.
Nice, I’m going out of Girabaldi Sunday morning for a lil halibut + Salmon combo trip. Hope to have a pic like yours at end of the day!

Reactions: Diehard and jamisonace
Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Fished the last three days north about 2 miles in 280-300 FOW Friday we ended one short of our limit releasing about 10 Nates the wind started and said that was enough. Saturday woke up to a sloppy ocean but got 6 clippers in a row and then the ocean laid down and we got our final two. Yesterday went 6 for 10 in an hour and back in by 8AM. I have not seen fishing like that in years Gramps had a great weekend boating many fish and enjoying the ocean at 90 years old.

Reactions: scched, Diehard and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Bo Peep said:
Fished the last three days north about 2 miles in 280-300 FOW Friday we ended one short of our limit releasing about 10 Nates the wind started and said that was enough. Saturday woke up to a sloppy ocean but got 6 clippers in a row and then the ocean laid down and we got our final two. Yesterday went 6 for 10 in an hour and back in by 8AM. I have not seen fishing like that in years Gramps had a great weekend boating many fish and enjoying the ocean at 90 years old.
I think I saw you headed in when we needed 3 more. We battled the wind and got a double then turned toward the jetty and picked up one more.

Reactions: Bo Peep
scched
scched
I was also out on Sunday; we picked up one clipped coho while bottom fishing on a shrimp fly. Eventually flipped over to targeting salmon, had a double hookup within about 5 minutes and then nothing for the next 2 hours aside from one high fin we released and a couple drive bys. Good thing we had a cooler full of rockfish and ling!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Starting to pick though the springers a bit but we're looking for eggs so all hens come home. I went 2 for 3 last night by myself and we went 5 for 6 this morning with friends.

20220714_140130.jpg

Reactions: O. mykiss, Bo Peep, Diehard and 1 other person
Diehard
Diehard
Man nice pile of fish 👍

jamisonace
jamisonace
Strange day on the Mckenzie yesterday. Everything was biting short and we never landed a hatchery fish. We hooked and fought 8 fish...landed 3. The three landed were all barely hooked. All three were wild and we lost another wild one at the boat. That's a really high ratio of wild fish for the Mckenzie and who knows about the other 4, we never saw them. Good news is, they were all in pretty good shape and would have likely still been good for the grill. I missed at least 3 of salmon bites while backbouncing but the trout are so bad this year we've been going through tons of eggs. The kwikfish bite has picked up a little but eggs are still way more productive IMO.

The three kids in the pic were fishing the entrance to the Leaburg ladder. It's clearly marked as closed. We politely let them know they were fishing closed water and they were pricks about it and didn't move. I called the hotline in case there was an OSP officer around. We fished the area for 30 minutes or so and no one showed up. I'm not always a Karen like that but fishing the ladder entrance when its loaded with (likely wild) fish is BS. If you know them, they deserve some shame. LOL

20220804_122825.jpg

Reactions: scched and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
Winchester Bay this morning. Launched just after 6. It was super foggy and my friend can't navigate when it's perfectly clear so I can't say we were fishing effectively all day. Since I sold my boat I have to beg my way onto other boats. This friend doesn't know how to salmon fish so I brought the gear, bait and limited knowledge and he brought the boat and 2 other licensed anglers.

As we started trolling I told them if any rods get a fish, DON'T ÷$&%ING TOUCH IT!!! I'll get it out of the rod holder and once everything is clear I'll hand it off. So what happens? Fish on and my buddy lunges away from the motor to the rod faster than you can say "lost fish" and effs with the rod for 5 or 6 seconds trying to get it out of the rod holder. And its gone.
He learned his lesson tho. Next fish, he sits there patiently while I go to the rod and pick it up. We get rods in and I hand the rod to his kid. Nice little buck. Now it's my turn to screw things up. I rebait and put the rods out and bam, rod buries, it's a nice fish much better than the first. And just like that, gone. Pull in the line to check bait and it snapped us off at the hooks. The line was damaged fighting the last fish and I didn't check it. Ugh!

Fun day anyway and I'll never complain when we're blessed with a fresh salmon.

20220806_101122.jpg

Reactions: scched, Bo Peep, O. mykiss and 1 other person