Salmon 2022 Show OFF

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
Surprised myself with a late season coho on a steelhead bead yesterday definitely gave me a run for my money on my steelhead rod 😂 suprised to see a decently fresh one this late in the season.

• 743713A2-70F0-4E61-85BB-2FD294E2936B.jpeg
Reactions: AP9, Diehard, Admin and 2 others
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Two years ago I caught a pretty decent colored jack coho in late February. Really surprised me. That’s genetic variation at its finest

Reactions: Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
That’s super interesting wonder how different conditions of the year they were born or what food they ate in the ocean impacted that.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I wasn't sure where to fish today and sure wasn't planning on springer fishing or summer steelhead fishing but that's what ended up happening.

20220409_191620.jpg

I had my fishing buddy/carpenter down from Springfield to help me with some remodel work. We finished up around 3:30 and took off for the river. We debated where to go and decided on a quick drift that would likely have a few winter steelhead kicking around. I knew fishing had been really slow but it was a good way to wind down after a busy day.

We got the springer first. It bit a yarnie side drifting deep into a tail out and my buddy worked some serious magic to keep it from dropping into the rapid below.

20220409_191424.jpg

The steelhead took a hard bead and gave me a great fight. I could see it was a fresh fish early in the fight and I was super stoked to see that it was a clipped summer.

20220409_175637.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: AP9, troutdude, Diehard and 2 others
M
mebaru
Awesome! Great job! Do you mind asking what color yarnie were you drifting?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Pink with steelhead roe.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Awesome!

Woodworking and fishing Is my kinda day

How was the river? Friday before most the rain hit?

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Yesterday.....river are all in good shape around here.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Springer number two after a week of dawn patrol and only 1 steelhead to show for it. I know they're on their way and I'm determined to be out there when they show up. Today I got my friends kid a small hatchery fish on a k-15 wrapped with my super secret wrap which you can buy off the shelf of any grocery store. We fished a couple hours for this before I had to be home for work. Water levels were decent and the color was great. Looking forward to more fish this week. Fingers crossed.

20220425_075814.jpg

Reactions: AP9, O. mykiss, Bo Peep and 2 others
jamisonace
jamisonace
Finally had some fish show up and they were beasts. They were rolling around so we knew they were there. We had more company than normal this morning so I didn't run my regular routine but instead went straight to the hole I knew I could stay in for a few hours. Success came early. First pass my buddy's son gets bit. He handled it perfectly. Let the fish bite and when it finally started taking line he fought it like a pro. It weighed in at 24 lbs. Not a bad start.

20220429_061015.jpg

Next pass my rod gets bit softly. I have it in my hand while I'm running the motor so once my buddy has his rod put away I give it to him and get us to soft water. Even better fight than the first and weighed in at 17lbs. One more bite that didn't stick and we were off the water by 8:30.

20220429_064208.jpg

Reactions: O. mykiss, DOKF and Admin
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
That really makes me hungry for some springer! Nice work!!!

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
I like to let it sit in the fridge for a couple days before processing it. After giving over 1/3 away so far, this is what I have left...almost 15 lbs.

I still have a few families to drop fish to but I think spring salmon will be on the menu a few times a week for awhile.

20220501_131728.jpg

Reactions: Admin and O. mykiss
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Umpqua springers are surpassed in quality only by upper Columbia/Snake River springers.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've never had one of those but it sounds like I need to add them to my bucket list.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
You need to make a trip to the imnaha river someday. Extremely unique setting for salmon fishing and the fattiest salmon I’ve ever eaten. It’s crazy to catch salmon in the desert next to cactus!

Diehard
Diehard
They dumped some salmon in lick creek a tributary of the imnaha last year just upriver of lick creek campground they were still decent colored during bow season I'm guessing those were imnaha fish. nice fish jamisonace I've been doing a little trib springer fishing myself only a few down rivers to show for my efforts but its early yet

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yeah, I always start early and then get burned out before the great fishing starts. Case in point, I'm not fishing this week until Thursday and the river seems to have a lot more fish than the last 3 weeks. I see some good numbers are starting to cross Willamette Falls so I'm looking forward to getting up the Mckenzie in a few weeks. Last year we started getting fish on the Santiam on May 8 I believe and then on the Mckenzie just a little while later.

I can't wait to see your springer pics here.

O. mykiss said:
You need to make a trip to the imnaha river someday. Extremely unique setting for salmon fishing and the fattiest salmon I’ve ever eaten. It’s crazy to catch salmon in the desert next to cactus!
I love that area but I never knew the Imnaha has salmon, let alone spring salmon. It's a long drive but I might need to plan something out that way. Do you know when the best time is to fish springers out there? I have a buddy guiding below the John Day dam right now and they've been getting them up that far.

Diehard
Diehard
Boy I hope I dont let you down 😁 I recently got a raft for doing the low water thing hopefully it brings me some nice fish I normally dont target tributary springers much but with the returns I'm starting to see it should be well worth the effort 👍

scched
scched
jamisonace said:
I love that area but I never knew the Imnaha has salmon, let alone spring salmon. It's a long drive but I might need to plan something out that way. Do you know when the best time is to fish springers out there? I have a buddy guiding below the John Day dam right now and they've been getting them up that far.
I, too, was curious about this. spent some time digging around this morning and noticed July on a few different videos/sites. Now y'all got me looking to make a trip out there this summer

Reactions: Diehard
jamisonace
jamisonace
My guide buddy got canceled today and asked me if I wanted to fish. To me it was like a kid on Christmas morning as he is considered a top guide in Southern Oregon.

I joined him and another friend on a meat trip he and I had been trying to take as he hadn't gotten any springer for himself. We got the good hole this morning and quickly got to work.

First pass I hooked this 26 pound fish and it was as fun as you might expect. He uses a fairly light rod for back bouncing which makes it nice when you're holding it all day with a few ounces of weight on the end but you can't just pull fish to the boat. We fought it downstream a few hundred yards and put it in the net.

Next pass I hooked a 12lber and later a clipped summer. The last two I passed off so I wouldn't be tagged out.

It's amazing how much a guy can learn when fishing with someone who does it every day. There are so many things he does differently than me. I really received a great education. Even in constant rain, Today. Was. Awesome.

20220512_064614.jpg

Reactions: Bo Peep, Admin and Snopro