Salem Fishing?? Best places, tips, strategies, etc??

S
SDK
E.J.

Sorry- Went, had a great time, but didn't get a pole into the water. I went with my wife and 8 month old son. Managing the boat and the baby were enough by themselves.

I hope to get back for a more serious shot at some fishing.

Scott

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Family Man

Family Man

Hey,you are a great example of a true man in my opinion. I love hearing fish stories,but I also love hearing about "family" days on the water too. Next time, give him a lil Spiderman set-up and let it grow with him :lol:.
Barb

S
Steve
Thanks to everyone that responded!!!!!! To update me, well I went camping at Detroit last weekend. Went on my pop's boat and caught 7 trout over the weekend! I was so sad because before that I hadn't caught a fish all year but the day I did I caught my limit and 2 the next day! I actually caught them at Hoover. Theres a special little spot there we found after some guys had caught about 50 (YES 50, just throwing in and boom catching them one after another) Although I dont condone catching past your limit, we chatted with them a bit and they showed us exactly where and what to use and within 5 minutes I caught my first one! If you want more details feel free to PM me, I just dont want to post it here because of over populating the spot lol. Well after that I reemerged back here in Salem on Monday with a really bad sunburn ( I forgot sunblock) 2nd degree in my right arm in fact. So just healing with that. Tried to go to Walter Wirth earlier but it was PACKED with people swimming and no one fishing so we let our 5 year old swim around all day. Then went and hit up Walling Pond but still had no bites or nothing, did meet a nice fellow named Ryan I believe, not sure if hes a member here or not but he shared some tips so next time Im gonna try the opposite corner with worms. Also he shared some spots like the Queen Marine near the Carosouel I belive so will have to try that. I did see a fish jump in walter right near my bobber so theres proof they are there, also if you look real close you could see baby bass, too bad they werent bigger lol... All in all thats my update so total fish caught for the year...drumroll please....

Walter Wirth Lake: 0
Walling Pond: 0
Willamette: 0
Hoover near Detroit: 7 :)

Im very happy I at least got them 7!!!! Would love to hear more tips etc, gonna go research Minto Brown Park now! Take care yall and heres to Happy Fishing! :dance:

Steve

S
SDK
Barb- It's easy to be a family man when you have a great wife and great kid. We got the boat up fast enough to get some spray coming over the bow and the baby was laughing and loving it. The day just disappeared on me.

Steve- Good show on breaking your cold streak :clap:

I may head over to Walling after work today or tomorrow. I have a few new lures I want to try, including a couple of nice ones I picked up at the Detroit Lake Marina. Sometimes showing them something new will get some of the bigger and smarter ones to have a go.

S
shadow
I can tell

I can tell

I can tell a lot of people WHERE NOT TO FISH ! That's easy but finding a good spot anymore is tough due to pollution of ponds and water ways. We're seeing the future now the one most of us thought would happen

R
rainbowfisherman
Has anyone ever taken a float tube in walter wirth?? What did you use?

D
Drew9870
Very old thread, I know.

I live in the Four Corners area of Salem, and I get to see Walling, Walter, and the Willy (Riverfront) quite often.

Walter Wirth is overpopulated with 2-3 inch bluegill, and is doing pretty well for trout (if you know the secret), Ok i'll tell you, just use light gear and an egg hook just big enough to perfectly hold 1 pautzke red label egg and have some point exposed, and light gear means no more than 6lb test. The main secret is, you don't need to cast far at all, and the bluegill may get in your way sometimes.

18406ej
18406ej
I have taken my float tube out to Walter Wirth several times, mostly to cast flies (with a spinning rod) and KastMasters. The only problem I ever had is that you need to be careful to stay near the middle of the pond, or the bank fishermen will be a problem (line fouling).

R
rainbowfisherman
Has the line fouling ever really been a problem?? It seems that a lot of the fish stay in the middle of the lake so i might try trolling some flies...Any fly pattern suggestions? Do you usually just put ur fly conncted to ur leader and put a weight like 4 feet away from ur fly or??

B
beaverfan
I would recommend trying an olive Woolybugger. They work well just about anywhere. Just throw on a split shot (pretty small one) like you said about 4 feet above the fly. Let out 75 ft of line or so, and just paddle your self around in a zig zag pattern. You can also twitch your rod tip every little bit.

R
rainbowfisherman
ok thanks for all the GREAT info! Always appreciated..:clap:i heard that Walter wirth got stocked with some brooders 8-18 pounders! Any confirmation on that?:think:

T
The Tightest Line
At Walter worth don't use a bobber let the powerbait sink and they are good ones in there. They like green orange and rainbow with a slide weight and #10 or #8 hook. I have got huge ones outta there. The biggest trout Ive caught has been in that place.

M
Michael
The Tightest Line said:
At Walter worth don't use a bobber let the powerbait sink and they are good ones in there. They like green orange and rainbow with a slide weight and #10 or #8 hook. I have got huge ones outta there. The biggest trout Ive caught has been in that place.

I knew that was the set up.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. Here's my story. I'm 36 and used to be into fishing on a semi-serious basis back when I was single and had all the time in the world. Over the last 6-8 years work, travel (for work), wife, and kids took me out of the game. I literally had zero gear (not even a pole) up until a week ago.

Someone told me the park / pond by wal-mart by the airport and I decided to take my 5 year old son out for my first fishing attempt in over 7 years. I bought a small 5 1/2 foot pole, some bobbers, some hooks, (are trebble hooks banned now?), and some night crawlers.

Long story short, I've been out three time in the last week. Each time no more than an hour or so because the little ones get impatient. I took my 10 year old nephew with me this last time because he's never been fishing before. We've been skunked so far, but I realize that now I've got the fever!!

We used bobbers and worms at the pond to your immediate right when you enter the park. Not sure what the name of it is. But after continuous instruction to my nephew about bobber/casting/line control, and after seeing his obvious irritation at my constant instruction, i thought to myself.. I said, "Self... what I need is some power bait and a sliding sinker weight. Then I came home, did some googling, and found this forum.

I'm excited to be here, and look forward to sharing any information that I might have to offer. I'll post any successes and stories that I aquire along the way including gear and strategies.

I'd also be up for meeting up for beers, coffees and of course fishing!!

C
capblack
use the sliding sinker, so you can feel the bite. give yourself 20 or 24 inches of leader so your bait is off the bottom some, and heres the catch. dont waste your time with powert bait. use the powerbait eggs. the fish like them just as much, they arent messy like powerbait, and they stay on MUCH better. in fact sometimes youll catch 2 or 3 fish before you lose your eggs. good luck, Brian

M
Michael
Just an update on my next step towards success...

After reading about the sinker weight I was jones'n so bad that after late lunch with the family and inlaws we went home and the kids went down for a late nap. I grabbed my rod, and headed to bi-mart enroute to Cascasde Park.

Unfortunately, I didn't read the posts again before I left. When I got there all they had was green and pink.

I bought pink.

Arrived at Worth at around 5:45 and was there til almost 8:00. Sat approximately 30 yards to the right of the wooden dock thingy by the parking lot.

Not a bite!!

I think it's because I used pink. I did have 24 inches of leader, slide weight, barrell swivel, etc...

No biggie... .. like Edison said, " I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Tomorrow I'll buy green, orange and rainbow eggs and try again soon.

Keep you posted.

D
dinghy
chartreuse or spring green with 12 to 16 inch leader and only 15-20 foot off the bank by the spill way area.eggs or paste worked for me.I have caught them on pink eggs with mike garlic scent.

A
autofisher
The fish in WW will also hammer a spinner. I've seen a dozen or so fish taken on a#3 or a #4 spinner. I've only ever seen two fish taken by the floating dock. For the most part, they always seem to be down by the spillway in large clusters. I've found that if you take the powerbait and get some Mike's Earthworm Oil on it, I get a lot more strikes.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Last time out i caught my limit all on a yellow and red dotted Panther Martin spinner. So i suggest buying 1 of those :)

Also my favorite bait is night crawlers, i only use about a 1/4 of the worm and thread it on the hook.

B
bigsteel
Michael said:
Just an update on my next step towards success...

After reading about the sinker weight I was jones'n so bad that after late lunch with the family and inlaws we went home and the kids went down for a late nap. I grabbed my rod, and headed to bi-mart enroute to Cascasde Park.

Unfortunately, I didn't read the posts again before I left. When I got there all they had was green and pink.

I bought pink.

Arrived at Worth at around 5:45 and was there til almost 8:00. Sat approximately 30 yards to the right of the wooden dock thingy by the parking lot.

Not a bite!!

I think it's because I used pink. I did have 24 inches of leader, slide weight, barrell swivel, etc...

No biggie... .. like Edison said, " I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Tomorrow I'll buy green, orange and rainbow eggs and try again soon.

Keep you posted.

keep at it,,, that little lake can **** you off

S
Smokey McFisher
heading out to st. louis today, been a few months since ive gone fishing, anyone been out there as of late? to cold still maybe? anyway its a nice oregon day, time to hit the water. if anyone is hitting it up anywhere else good pls let me know, im down to try anywhere that is hoppin.