Salem Fishing?? Best places, tips, strategies, etc??

M
Michael
Throbbit _Shane said:
Last time out i caught my limit all on a yellow and red dotted Panther Martin spinner. So i suggest buying 1 of those :)

Also my favorite bait is night crawlers, i only use about a 1/4 of the worm and thread it on the hook.

I am now armed with a yellow and red dotted panther martin spinner. As well as green power eggs, and some Mike's trout smelly jelly stuff.

Tomorrow (tuesday) around 2:30 I'm going to head back out to worth and see if I can get something.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Also another hint. For me catching trout is best about an hour or two before it gets dark. Or early in the morning, but im not a morning person :)

Hopefully you got the smaller panther martin, i was at bimart today and they had some huge ones that must be for steelhead. Iv found when using it you'll know if its working right if you watch your rod tip move, you can feel it spinning i guess. One more suggestion and im done for tonight, if u have 17 bucks i suggest getting the 2 rod permit, that way u can fish with bait and lures at the same time. Or bait and bait if the fish want that.

G
Gar
18406ej said:
There isn't anything that exempts Walling or Walter Wirth from the fishing regulations regarding when it is lawful to fish (one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset). Midnight would be well past the allowed time frame. We should hook up some time- not too many Salem fishers on the board...

This blows my mind still! I'm from MO most recently and you can fish for 26 hours a day there! What's the deal on only fishing during the light? Do the fish turn into were-fish at night and emerge from the water, killing and eating everything they find?

~M~

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Just the way we roll here. You could call ODFW to get their answer. Let us know what they say.

C
capblack
if you want to fish at night, just go to washington.

F
fishingthewest
fishin the willi

fishin the willi

SDK said:
Welcome to the board. :cool:

I've been living in Salem since February and the fishing here is not that great, especially without a boat. There are some ponds and sloughs in Minto Brown park, but not much bank access. The areas where there is access are heavily fished. If your dad's boat can get you into the area by the acid ball, you can access the biggest slough in Minto through there.

Walling pond (as you've already seen) is just south of downtown. It's an odd little pond in the middle of an industrial park that used to be a gravel pit. It's a good place to get to quickly after work, and you can hook some decent fish in there. It's just more like a fishing hole than a nice natural setting. the dumpster diving story sounds about right LOL...

I've been experimenting with bank fishing the Willie from the Marine Park boat ramp. Primarily, I'm practicing with casting, presenting and mending line for the weekends. I've been taking the hour drive out to the coast on Saturdays to drift and bobber/egg fish for Salmon and Steelies. If I actually catch something while practicing in the Willie, I'll let you know. I'm not exactly holding my breath though :rolleyes: Again, with a boat, you can hunt for sloughs and such off of the main river. There are supposedly large and smallmouth bass to be found there.

That's all I've come up with so far, but I haven't lived here that long. If you find a good spot, or want to get together for an after work trip, let me know...

Scott
Hey, Im not new at fishing the area but I am new with fishing without a boat, which I had to sell. A 4 stroke 40 hp 16ft Starcraft. I fished everywhere in this state and others in that thing! My new position finds me trying to get my 7yr old son interested. I know when the willie slows down a little you can find at least 2 smallies on every outcrop in the water. After 2 you move to the next. I used a black curly tail rubber or plastic (i dont know the names). This was from Canby to Newburg being sure to fish the bridge pilings. I also use a silver little cleo or other spoons in deeper water. But without a boat Ive been struggling to hook up for my son.
A little off that subject....if you want to catch good fish on every cast(smallmouth) you could go up the gorge to a place called Rufus. Just beyond on 84 there is a park with a launch and 2 campgrounds. You need a boat. It is where the John Day river hits the Columbia. 8 miles or so up the JDay you come to what is called the Narrows. It is a magnificent sight as the rocks look like molten steel in the sun. From late May till end of Aug. or through September the smallmouth are very active in the fast moving deep deep holes. Plastic grubs work great and you will catch on every cast. At night you can sit and fish for channel cats and yellow belly cats. I caught a 10lb cat one night and hav seen others do better. It is worth the trip. On the Columbia near Multnomah falls i captured a 7ft sturgeon. The most intense fight of my fishing career. Warranten is a good place for sturgeon but the waters can be dangerous as the columbian bar is there . The Columbia is meeting the ocean at this place and the tides along with the flow of the river can get sketchy. These are my experiences fishing . I hope you are better equipt than me, namely a boat. Good luck Brother and keep on castin!

F
fishingthewest
fishin the willi and more

fishin the willi and more

SDK said:
Welcome to the board. :cool:

I've been living in Salem since February and the fishing here is not that great, especially without a boat. There are some ponds and sloughs in Minto Brown park, but not much bank access. The areas where there is access are heavily fished. If your dad's boat can get you into the area by the acid ball, you can access the biggest slough in Minto through there.

Walling pond (as you've already seen) is just south of downtown. It's an odd little pond in the middle of an industrial park that used to be a gravel pit. It's a good place to get to quickly after work, and you can hook some decent fish in there. It's just more like a fishing hole than a nice natural setting. the dumpster diving story sounds about right LOL...

I've been experimenting with bank fishing the Willie from the Marine Park boat ramp. Primarily, I'm practicing with casting, presenting and mending line for the weekends. I've been taking the hour drive out to the coast on Saturdays to drift and bobber/egg fish for Salmon and Steelies. If I actually catch something while practicing in the Willie, I'll let you know. I'm not exactly holding my breath though :rolleyes: Again, with a boat, you can hunt for sloughs and such off of the main river. There are supposedly large and smallmouth bass to be found there.

That's all I've come up with so far, but I haven't lived here that long. If you find a good spot, or want to get together for an after work trip, let me know...

Scott
Hey, Im not new at fishing the area but I am new with fishing without a boat, which I had to sell. A 4 stroke 40 hp 16ft Starcraft. I fished everywhere in this state and others in that thing! My new position finds me trying to get my 7yr old son interested. I know when the willie slows down a little you can find at least 2 smallies on every outcrop in the water. After 2 you move to the next. I used a black curly tail rubber or plastic (i dont know the names). This was from Canby to Newburg being sure to fish the bridge pilings. I also use a silver little cleo or other spoons in deeper water. But without a boat Ive been struggling to hook up for my son.
A little off that subject....if you want to catch good fish on every cast(smallmouth) you could go up the gorge to a place called Rufus. Just beyond on 84 there is a park with a launch and 2 campgrounds. You need a boat. It is where the John Day river hits the Columbia. 8 miles or so up the JDay you come to what is called the Narrows. It is a magnificent sight as the rocks look like molten steel in the sun. From late May till end of Aug. or through September the smallmouth are very active in the fast moving deep deep holes. Plastic grubs work great and you will catch on every cast. At night you can sit and fish for channel cats and yellow belly cats. I caught a 10lb cat one night and hav seen others do better. It is worth the trip. On the Columbia near Multnomah falls i captured a 7ft sturgeon. The most intense fight of my fishing career. Warranten is a good place for sturgeon but the waters can be dangerous as the columbian bar is there . The Columbia is meeting the ocean at this place and the tides along with the flow of the river can get sketchy. These are my experiences fishing . I hope you are better equipt than me, namely a boat. Good luck Brother and keep on castin!