Rock fishing report March 21st 2011

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Drew9870 said:
I'll bet money Captains has a good number of returning customers.

Indeed they do.

Lets try to end this debate. It is not on topic, nor is it even necessary in the first place.

A
Amberjack
SNDSLGR said:
Nice work! I always hear the bottom/Ling fishing is great in the spring time, need to get out sometime for a change of pace.

Question for you... somewhat in relation to the picture thing. Do you run into many clients marking holes with GPS for later use on their own sportboats? Do you feel used or intruded upon if/when this happens?

On one hand it makes sense if it upset you as you have worked hard to dial in a fishery and some Jackwagon comes along and rapes your knowledge for 135 bucks. On the other hand, a guy in a sport vessel will not be out there everyday and it can feel good "teaching a man to fish" as well..., it is a free country and all type attitude. What say you sir?

Excellant question. I took a 48 hour charter out of Port Aransas, TX. There was an engraved sign on the rear cabin that stated "If you have anything that appears to be a GPS unit it will be tossed overboard".

We don't care if you bring a GPS on board. There are enough sport boats out there that watch us.

So you are in a sport boat with 3-4 folks onboard, and they drift across a reef, so .. a small bait ball and a few bites. Then a charter boat drifts across with 10 folks floating bait and a larger bait ball. It triggers a better bite as it creates a feeding frenzy. Hope this makes sense

A
Amberjack
AS the Mod stated lets end this. I will still continue to post fishing reports.

O
OnTheFly
Thanks for the report Amberjack and I am still feeling the need to hit you up on a halibut trip. Funds are low right now but my priorities are intact!

S
SNDSLGR
Amberjack said:
Excellant question. I took a 48 hour charter out of Port Aransas, TX. There was an engraved sign on the rear cabin that stated "If you have anything that appears to be a GPS unit it will be tossed overboard".

We don't care if you bring a GPS on board. There are enough sport boats out there that watch us.

So you are in a sport boat with 3-4 folks onboard, and they drift across a reef, so .. a small bait ball and a few bites. Then a charter boat drifts across with 10 folks floating bait and a larger bait ball. It triggers a better bite as it creates a feeding frenzy. Hope this makes sense

Perfect sense, thanks.

Our fishing here, bottom type fishing is really the only case it would be useful. Either way, with our beloved internet there are very few "secret" spots left I would guess.

Trips like the one I am taking in August is more a technique learning adventure as the Tuna are always in different spots. Not sure, but I think the fisheries in the Gulf are more "spot" orientated. Still be funny to watch some crazy deckhand toss a GPS over.