River hazards on the McKenzie

M
moon
River Hazards on the McKenzie:
(Hendricks to Bellinger)

First of all, this is only my opinion and things could change again. I hate saying go this way or that – because I’m afraid someone will just shoot through like what I said is word. And I could be wrong you know (or things change again)... so if you wake up dead cuz you were to lazy to walk around the damn corner and look for your own bad self – don't be tell'un Jesus I’m an arsehole..... There is nothing in there that anyone with basic rowing skillz and a worthy ride can't handle, this is just a heads up that it has changed....

So with you knowing the river has changed in that section, and that you will be looking out for yourself. My first heads up is approximately at river mile (RM) 22.8 – After you come out of the run where the house fell in the river (RM 23.1) and go through the riffle. There are a couple of sweepers and or strainers in the next hole river right at (RM) 22.8 and you are going to need to be river left of said hazards. (I stayed river right) going through the riffle to fish a slot and thought it set me up well to stay river left of said hazards in the hole at (RM) 22.8.

My next Heads up is approximately (RM) 21.1 where you come out of the gravel pit hole at (RM) 21.5....
Last year we or I went river right where it braided up.
(all choices in the braids are skinny now) but where you could go river right last year is not the choice I would make now.
I went river left and will opt for the middle channel next time as I had to walk my boat past an ugly root wad where river left and the middle channel now meet back up in the braids...

So that is my heads up for the hazards I think is the most critical to avoid – BUT, the river on the whole has changed and you will be navigating it differently in many spots this year. Take a look at Bellinger it's self when you drop off the shuttle rig as an example.

Good luck and tight lines.
Moon

H
Halfthrive
Thanks for the heads up man, appreciate it.

R
rippin fish lips
Thanks for the hends up!! not to hijack your post or anything, but last year i made a (Hendricks to bellinger) SAFETY alert, and it is noted under the mac. I was thinkin maybe some mods could make this one a sticky for this year under the mac, or maybe a mod could take this and put it on my thread for that "TREAD" update. It is just where i see most ppl looking at it for (river hazards). Just my opinion tho. It would show the change in some way.

L
lilsalmon
We floated it last Tuesday and there were a lot of changes....Bellinger especially. Also, I found out that sometimes I should just sit down cuz I almost went in head first.....Dave thought it was pretty funny. Thanks for the headsup, Moon. That is why I let someone else operate the sticks...hehe

R
rippin fish lips
lilsalmon said:
We floated it last Tuesday and there were a lot of changes....Bellinger especially. Also, I found out that sometimes I should just sit down cuz I almost went in head first.....Dave thought it was pretty funny. Thanks for the headsup, Moon. That is why I let someone else operate the sticks...hehe

did you fish it all? if so,did you catch or see anything?? I bet it looks sooo amazing right now.