Resurrection of St. Louis Ponds

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for posting the link to the story. I have never been to St. Louis ponds, but may need to schedule a morning fishing excursion.
Todd

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

M
Modest_Man
The article makes it sound a whole lot nicer than it really is...

M
markasd
Curious how many people that have fished there or spent time there feel this article is a good representation of that area?

I have fished there a few times for the past 25 years and have an idea what they should do with the place.

troutdude
troutdude
For the record, I did not state that the area is nice. I only said that the article said it was. I've never been there. So, I don't know if it's a decent place to go or not.

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
Who slammed you? We commented on the article, which you posted. You didn't write it did you?

The quote in the article that really cracked me up is "Busy traffic is mostly unseen now, barely heard". In several spots if you head off the beaten path you're just a couple hundred yards from the freeway. You can hear it everywhere you go.

Another one is - "A half-mile asphalt path winds around six of the seven ponds". It's a 260 acre parcel with 7 ponds, and a half-mile path winds around six of them? It winds around one of them. If the author had been there and walked farther than a quarter mile from his car he'd know that.

It's good that an article is out on the ponds, as I think a lot of people don't know about them but if they go there thinking it's going to be idyllic like the article they're in for a surprise.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Maybe I misinterpreted what was said. Thank you.

I have often wondered about the traffic and the noise level, while driving by on I-5. Not my cup of tea, which is probably why I have never fished there.

troutdude
troutdude
I must have I misinterpreted what was said. Thank you.

I have often wondered about the traffic and the noise level, while driving by on I-5. Not my cup of tea, which is probably why I have never fished there.

J
Jharrod
markasd said:
Curious how many people that have fished there or spent time there feel this article is a good representation of that area?

I have fished there a few times for the past 25 years and have an idea what they should do with the place.

I went there once earlier this year. I actually really liked the feel of the place at first. Caught nothing, but at that time of the year, that was nothing new. A couple of the ponds had completely grown over with algae, but the rest seemed fairly clear and all had ample access. There were only 2 other trucks there when I first got there, and by the time I left at about 10, the ponds were packed with anglers. I was glad that I had gotten there so early. It was kinda nice though to step up to the bank, and see a nice doe on the other side looking back at me. All in all, a pretty peaceful place to fish if you get there early enough. I plan on giving them another go once the temperatures gets consistantly warmer.

-JP

C
Coyote
I was there a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty soggy out there the few times I was out there earlier and it seems algae completely takes over the place sometimes, but it was fine a few weeks ago. But if its rained semi-recently, prepare to get a little muddy. I haven't had much luck with anything but crappie there, but I've seen a few trout caught there. Never seen a bass caught there, but maybe they aren't in the ponds I normally fish. It would be nice if they said which fish were in which pond, but if you use worms you're bound to catch something there.