Totally inept

Casting Call
Casting Call
EOBOY said:
Pinstriper don't say no to flies. There is nothing quite like dropping a Dry Fly on a rushing stream early in the morning or just as the sun sets over a silent pond or lake. To see that Hunter barely make a ripple and put it's head down and head for the bottom is just amazing.

Dana
The ultimate hook-up for me was fly fishing. Two years ago while spey casting a streamer with a 14ft spey rod I hooked with a 20lb plus salmond that broke me OFF after 20min fight, from that moment on I have been chaseing that dream to do it again. It was O...ZMIC(too repeat the same fish hook-up)Tony

C
Camo
bagold53 said:
This is my prefered River gauge website.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=pqr

It has not only current levels but also a projection of what the river might be like in the next 5 days.

That is one hell of a good website! I never knew about it until now.
Thank you for the link bagold53 !

:)

S
SmallStreams
What an excellent thread!

You'll know your skills have improved when you're wading in the stream with salmon running past you, completely ignoring whatever you've been casting, and you've begun counting them as they pass by. Make sure you put a notch in your rod for every five and crosshatch that for every ten. Later, as your skills evolve, you'll start giving them names. Finally, when you've mastered salmon fishing, you'll become adept at releasing 10 out of the 12 you caught because they were unclipped coho.

Steelhead fishing is a little easier. They'll come right up to your lure and ignore it instead of veering away or feigning sleep, like the salmon do. At the master level, you'll get the opportunity to release every other fish, if only because it's too dark instead of being unclipped.

Panfishing in our fine lakes is great because the weeds will help bring variety to your diet! However, trout fishing is where the real action is... lots of hiking to find unpopulated places, only to discover that someone got there first and cleaned out the hole, so you get to hike some more.

[this exercise in stretching the comedic muscles is brought to you by a leftover glass of sickly sweet wine]

F
flocaster
SmallStreams said:
What an excellent thread!

You'll know your skills have improved when you're wading in the stream with salmon running past you, completely ignoring whatever you've been casting, and you've begun counting them as they pass by. Make sure you put a notch in your rod for every five and crosshatch that for every ten. Later, as your skills evolve, you'll start giving them names. Finally, when you've mastered salmon fishing, you'll become adept at releasing 10 out of the 12 you caught because they were unclipped coho.

Steelhead fishing is a little easier. They'll come right up to your lure and ignore it instead of veering away or feigning sleep, like the salmon do. At the master level, you'll get the opportunity to release every other fish, if only because it's too dark instead of being unclipped.

Panfishing in our fine lakes is great because the weeds will help bring variety to your diet! However, trout fishing is where the real action is... lots of hiking to find unpopulated places, only to discover that someone got there first and cleaned out the hole, so you get to hike some more.

[this exercise in stretching the comedic muscles is brought to you by a leftover glass of sickly sweet wine]

Well said! lol you had me rollin :D

J
Jdangler xD
pinstriper said:
My "salmon" rod, which they told me would be ok for steelhead, has a spinning reel. My "steelhead" rod, which they told me would be ok for salmon and jetty fishing, is a baitcast, and I only get bad backlash about 1 out of 4 casts. My trout/bass/panfish rod has a spincast reel. It is NOT the one with spiderman or my little pony on it, but it is pretty much the same rig.
If anyone on the forum is interested or has some backlash problems with a casting reel let me know. I started with my baitcaster and was having a few issues. I dialed it in but untangling the inevitable backlash was the bad part. An old timer showed me a great trick that helped 200% over my pick at the loops method. Since untangling is so much easier it was easy to dial in my skills and peticular reel. When pulling the line out to fix the birds nest it comes to a stop... Gotta pick at some loops right? No! Push your thumb into the spool and give it a few cranks. The pressure should undo the loop. Begin stripping line again and it should move past the previous snag in the spool. Repeat steps until fixed.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Sounds like the "thumb trick". I think we had a post about that awhile back but I can't find it.

It does work great!

Here's the old video that was posted though:

Jdangler xD said:
If anyone on the forum is interested or has some backlash problems with a casting reel let me know. I started with my baitcaster and was having a few issues. I dialed it in but untangling the inevitable backlash was the bad part. An old timer showed me a great trick that helped 200% over my pick at the loops method. Since untangling is so much easier it was easy to dial in my skills and peticular reel. When pulling the line out to fix the birds nest it comes to a stop... Gotta pick at some loops right? No! Push your thumb into the spool and give it a few cranks. The pressure should undo the loop. Begin stripping line again and it should move past the previous snag in the spool. Repeat steps until fixed.

J
Jdangler xD
That video demonstrates it exactly. Nice
find