Redsides

O
OnTheDrop
Twas a glorious past few days of fishing. Taking a quick break from the Steel and Salmon to chase some bruiser Redsides on the Mack...What a blast! Reminded me of the action you'd get on the D. My good buddy was coming down from OC to get the boat on the water for an evening float on Sunday and a mid morning float the next day. We've never floated this river before so didn't know what to expect. We were mainly targeting the big redsides on the nymph, but ran into a few good hatches including a March brown one that popped decent for us sunday yielding a few chunky reds. We easily caught over 150 fish the past few days including cutties, cutbows, planters, and maybe a dozen reds. The biggest was probably close to 19-20 inches. A 16-17 took the cake on the best fight though. I'm using a 5 wt and have hooked some pig trout clearing 20inches, but this guy surprised me and took me down river 200 yards making run after run. Epic battle. Our best nymph duo was easily the Mega Prince with a sz 14 prince for the trailer. Here's a few pics I was able to snap... Can't wait for this weather to turn nice.

Oh yeah, did I mention there was only one other boat in sight in two days? No one out there...Can't beat that!

Tight Lines all,

• 2.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 22.jpg
  • 23.jpg
  • 24.jpg
Last edited:
B
bigsteel
beautiful fish man!!!!!how you like that phleuger reel,i love mine.

O
OnTheDrop
Thanks,

I love that thing!

R
rippin fish lips
Awesome red brotha! I got a nice fatty one yesterday while steelhead fishing. These fish are def in spawn mode now, which is why you havent seen me make any reports on them. Been trying to let them do their thing, they got a **** ton of pressure this year from Jan-now. Although... sometimes you just can't keep them off when ur going after them! :p

Buddy got a nice summer and a really nice bull trout the other day too.

O
OnTheDrop
rippin fish lips said:
Awesome red brotha! I got a nice fatty one yesterday while steelhead fishing. These fish are def in spawn mode now, which is why you havent seen me make any reports on them. Been trying to let them do their thing, they got a **** ton of pressure this year from Jan-now. Although... sometimes you just can't keep them off when ur going after them! :p

Buddy got a nice summer and a really nice bull trout the other day too.

Oh yeahhhh. Im stoked to float it and nymph an accidental summer. Counts over the falls are weak! Gunna be a bit before numbers up here.

bass
bass
Wow, those are gorgeous fish! Great job and thanks for sharing.

hobster
hobster
Gorgeous fish! I hit the Mac today across from Armitage and the hatch was insane! I've never seen such a crazy hatch, the water was covered in march browns. Caught quite a few on dries/wet/ and nymph but once the hatch got going they didn't hit anything. Too many flies to choose from, or maybe they were stuffed.:)

O
OnTheDrop
^^
Yeah there was some insane hatches where no fish were feeding top water...Went sub-surface and it was ONNNN!!!

R
rippin fish lips
SteelmonKiller20 said:
^^
Yeah there was some insane hatches where no fish were feeding top water...Went sub-surface and it was ONNNN!!!

Perfect time to throw out a 1/6 - 1/4 oz thommy, lil cleo spoon and smack a few good sized cutties real quick to right here.

O
OnTheDrop
rippin fish lips said:
Perfect time to throw out a 1/6 - 1/4 oz thommy, lil cleo spoon and smack a few good sized cutties real quick to right here.

Those cutties love the hardware. We would throw 'em as we were moving down river .

jamisonace
jamisonace
Those were probably the Mother's Day caddis with some march browns mixed in. It gets crazy with bugs all around like that. It's hard to catch fish when they have so many options. I try to find an area where the hatch isn't so strong.

hobster said:
Gorgeous fish! I hit the Mac today across from Armitage and the hatch was insane! I've never seen such a crazy hatch, the water was covered in march browns. Caught quite a few on dries/wet/ and nymph but once the hatch got going they didn't hit anything. Too many flies to choose from, or maybe they were stuffed.:)

E
eugene1
great pics and action there! The Mac is a great river.

congrats and thanks,

hobster
hobster
jamisonace said:
Those were probably the Mother's Day caddis with some march browns mixed in. It gets crazy with bugs all around like that. It's hard to catch fish when they have so many options. I try to find an area where the hatch isn't so strong.

You are correct sir. They were pretty much all Mothers Day caddis now that I think about it. I didn't really recognize them but they sure looked like caddis except they were black and very small and I couldn't keep them off my face or anywhere else.:lol: I haven't fished much with them around, guess its a short hatch (couple of weeks). Thanks for the info jamisonce, cleared some things up.